Gym size discrimination

Options

Replies

• EternalJourney
    Options
    Is this any other different than the gym that only allows women to join? While looking for gyms in my area I was told I cannot join because I'm not a woman!
  • 17ChargerGirl17
    Options
    That's ridiculous. On the other hand I'm not sure who'd be offended exactly.

Lol this. Yea its discrimantion ... but hey if fatties wanna hang with only other fatties, remind me why i should care. Sounds like the gym would be filled with treadmills and crosstrainers anyway.

Oo 1st post. Back to the calorie counter for me...

I agree. I want to see the skinny people at the gym. They motivate me especially since some of them were once over weight as well!!
  • AllieBug25
    AllieBug25 Posts: 61
    Options
    I know I need to see skinnier, more fit people around me at the gym. It motivates me to get my fat *kitten* going. I want to look like them. I want to see how they work out so I can impliment it into my routine so I can hopefully, at some point, be as fit as they are. I think it's a stupid idea. :\
  • yksdoris
    yksdoris Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    That's weird... my gym tends to make me an example now that I've lost 20 lb, telling the newer members that lifting's a good thing, don't give up, keep going, look at HER. Which makes me feel flattered even though I'm only 2/3 to my goal and it makes it easier for the new girls, they know that there's at least one person there who totally understands what they're going through.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Lame
  • elcieloesazul
    elcieloesazul Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    It's a double standard. These clients want "acceptance," yet they don't promote body equality amongst ALL types of bodies.
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    So...if you lose weight you get thrown out? I'm not sure I understand the concept, or rather, I'm not sure they thought this all the way through.

Maybe they don't expect the women to loose weight?

I'm curious about that aspect of the situation. I'm not sure that I would be motivated to try harder if I were surrounded by people who were in equal or worse shape than me. I wonder if some rationalizing could occur - one might be content on some level to just fit in everyone else around you.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's a bad decision. I kind of think the writer of the article is being a bit too antagonistic. I don't mind going to gym and seeing a variety of body types. When I go to the gym, no one makes me feel insecure, insecurity is a personal choice. But for people who need like body types around them this is good. If you have a business like curves it's geared more towards older women, or maybe a cross fit club may bring about a certain kind of clientele. they would receive less heat for this club if they had not expressly told skinner people they couldn't join vs. stating that they cater to plus size women. the concept IMO is fine.
  • TiffanyDeanee
    Options
    And what is gonna happen when the fat ppl get skinny? Are they going to kick them out?
  • sdoldsMD2013
    sdoldsMD2013 Posts: 128
    Options
    I can understand why heavier people would want to workout around people who have a similar body habitus; however, I don't think it is right to exclude anyone from a gym. I workout at planet fitness and the range of patrons are very fit to very overweight. No one is rude, no one is gawked at. People pretty much mind their own business and do their workouts. I enjoy having a large variety of people, and to my the very fit individuals serve as an inspiration to keep going and work through the tough points so that I can to their level one-day. Skinny people are not morale suckers and that is very offensive.
  • TheDecision
    Options
    HAHAHA Seriously? The whole premise is ridiculous.

A) I know just as many "rude and unfriendly" fat people as I do skinny people

B) Being overweight is YOUR fault, suck it up and hit the gym. There will be people that look better than you there. TOUGH.

Should there also be a gym for skinny girls who aren't attractive? After all, it just isn't fair for them to have to work out around skinny hot chicks is it?
  • flisafakto
    flisafakto Posts: 143 Member
    Options

To offer a different viewpoint. As a 'big girl', I've gone to the gym only to have fit women tell me I didn't belong there or some very snide comments at my lack of ability (as have many people on this site). It's soul crushing and demotivating. So, if I could go to workout at a place that offers the same amount of training, cardio and strength training, while being in an environment filled with people who have similar goals to mine as well as know the position I'm in, then I'd love to go. Especially when you start to see the people around you reach their goals. That would push me to continue to reach mine.

I think it's meant to be supportive. That and, when first working out, it can be intimidating getting on a treadmill for your cardio next to a ripped woman who is running like a cheetah at 18 mph.

I don't see how a gym that caters to overweight people is different than a gym for women only or a gym for boxers or bodybuilders. I don't think it's discrimination to exclude a certain part of the population, I don't feel discriminated if I don't fit the requirements for something.

I do wonder about how they set the requirements though, who's too fit to work out there? And what to they do when people lose weight and suddenly are too fit? I'm guessing they have a plan but they just didn't include it in the article.

Also, I can absolutely understand why someone would want a plus-size only gym. When I started out, I felt terrible going to the gym. I would only go to the gym when I knew it'd be mostly empty, like late at night. Which again would make it harder to exercise. I've been working out at the same gym for over a year now, and I can still count on one hand the times I've seen overweight people at the gym. I would however have trouble counting how many times I've gotten looks from guys lifting when I approached the strength/weight training equipment. Or tiny, made up girls giving me a disgusted look when I'm sweating like crazy.
  • aelitaangels
    aelitaangels Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    So...if you lose weight you get thrown out? I'm not sure I understand the concept, or rather, I'm not sure they thought this all the way through.

Lmao this!
    I was thinking the same thing! what if their weight-loss programs work a little too well and the once overweight-clientel becomes slim? Are they now banned from returning to the establishment? Its a paradox lol
  • trinoc
    trinoc Posts: 73
    Options
    That's ridiculous. On the other hand I'm not sure who'd be offended exactly.

Lol this. Yea its discrimantion ... but hey if fatties wanna hang with only other fatties, remind me why i should care. Sounds like the gym would be filled with treadmills and crosstrainers anyway.

Oo 1st post. Back to the calorie counter for me...

Speaking as a "fattie"....I think the hard part about going to a gym, with people who are in as excellent shape as you're in, is knowing that some of those fit people consider you a fattie not worth caring about. Being fat is hard. Changing it is hard. Encountering condescending attitudes and unkind people compounds that. You're in awesome shape....I'm sure it is hard to maintain that. Imagine having to do all that work but also having to deal with ridicule. You might not be so motivated. Or heck...it might motivate you more. But if in a conversation on the internet the term fattie gets thrown around in order to discuss this issue then imagine living it...for even a day. It sucks and that's why so many of us "fatties" are here trying to change.
  • emuhawk
    emuhawk Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I looked at the gym's website, and it seems to be more of a bootcamp. You work directly with the trainers at all times and pay based on how many days you're going to attend (and it's expensive!). In that context, I can understand much better why they have restrictions. It's one thing if it's a normal gym where everything is doing their own thing; it's another if trainers are there to work with a specific group with common issues.
  • CannibalisticVegetarian
    CannibalisticVegetarian Posts: 1,255 Member
    Options
    This is ridiculous. Stepping out of your comfort zone is the best way to make change in almost every aspect of your life. Not being shielded from what's uncomfortable.

Couldn't have said it better myself.
  • carriempls
    carriempls Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I don't like the statement that they will bring down morale, but the gym should be allowed to choose whoever they want to cater to. Similarly, I wouldn't have a problem if a gym catered only to skinnier people (although I feel like that may be a stupid idea financially).

That's kind of my thought as well.

I wouldn't have thought it a problem but I don't know how many times I've seen women post in weight loss forums how intimidated they are to go to a gym or be seen exercising. They're terrified of going out for a run as they think folks will be wondering what the heck they think they're doing. Some folks have self esteem issues that really put them through the wringer. If a gym wants to cater to those ladies to get them going towards good health, I think that makes sense.

When I started running and going to the gym and so on, I was obese too, but I never thought anyone thought that of me. I assumed they were all happy for me. In fact, I was often told how inspiring I was. I wish every fat girl knew that - that when you try to better yourself, folks are going to be on your side, not judging you for trying.
  • devonette
    devonette Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    A gym is a private club that charges a membership fee and can choose who it wants as members. I have no problem with that. I think it's a wonderful idea to have gyms that cater to specific clientele, it gives people the option to go where they feel most comfortable working out.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    That's a fantastic idea. A gym that lots of people belong to but no one ever uses the equipment
  • jentarver
    jentarver Posts: 192
    Options
    Honestly I don't want to feel comfortable in the gym, it makes me work harder for what I want.

But , if this helps these ladies, then more power to them. There are plenty of gyms in this world, and there is a Massive *kitten* at my gym that would love for it to be a specifically "in shape" gym.