Iron?

Options
deaddawn
deaddawn Posts: 42 Member
Is there an iron supplement that is absorbed easily, gentle on your system and ISN’T over 200% of the daily allowance?

Replies

• michellegr88
    Options
    Raisin bran will give you about 80% of your daily intake. :)
  • Exquizyt
    Exquizyt Posts: 33
    Options
    Special K has 45% of your iron intake for the day for 2/3 cup of cereal :)
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I use cinnamon as a flavoring on a lot of food now that I've discovered how much calcium and iron it has. It's not a make-or-break amount, but if you can use a tablespoon a day you can get 14% of your iron and 8% of your calcium.

If you REALLY want to get your iron going, eat spinach. A cup of cooked and drained spinach gives you over 1/3 of your daily needs for iron, and it's loaded with calcium, potassium, and vitamins A and C. It's like concentrated nutritional awesome. Mix it in with your salads, or just make a salad out of it.

My wife takes a whole bunch of greens (spinach, kale, beet greens, turnip greens, and the beets and turnips attached to the greens) and stir-fries them in coconut oil and garlic. Spritz on a little soy sauce for flavor. I can eat that stuff by the bowl as a meal in and of itself, but I usually have a couple of lean sausages or some lean meat to go with it.
  • deaddawn
    Options
    Hmmm, I don't eat cereal most days for breakfast. I do better with protein breakfast like an egg or Greek yogurt. When I start my day with cereal, I feel tired an hour later and really hungry at lunch.

I cook with a lot of herbs that provide 1-3 % of my daily allowance, but at the end of the day I’m short. I could try putting cinnamon in my tea, but I like it the way it is now and the fact that I like it keeps me from reaching for something else.

I do eat greens a lot but at the end of every day, I come up short on iron. I ate collard greens yesterday, in fact.

I take an iron supplement every week or so but it is a lot of iron to take in one day at 250% + of the daily allowance. It was suggested that I take it two to three times a week when I was pregnant, but I doubt I need this much extra iron now. I usually feel a little less tired and more focused a few days after taking it. I was told by a doctor that most low dose iron supplements are a waste because they are made with a type of iron that is not easily absorbed. Multi-vitamins containing iron usually contain other minerals that make absorption difficult as well. I’m not scheduled for a check-up for a few months but in the meantime while I am cutting calories now, I think I should take a little boost in iron.

I want a supplement to take on the days I’m below 50%.
  • vonnywaft
    vonnywaft Posts: 182
    Options
    I've noticed lots of foods in thevdatabase only have partial nutritional info. It may be when you log some things it doesn't show on your summary because of that.
  • deaddawn
    Options
    14% of your iron and 8% of your calcium.

Calcium interferes with iron absorption by the way but thank you for trying to help. :-)
  • deaddawn
    Options
    I've noticed lots of foods in thevdatabase only have partial nutritional info. It may be when you log some things it doesn't show on your summary because of that.

You are correct. This could be an issue.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Could you just buy one of those things that cuts your pills in half?
  • deaddawn
    Options
    Could you just buy one of those things that cuts your pills in half?

The high iron pills are slow release. It's my understanding that you aren't supposed to cut those types of pills.