How did you start to run?

Options
Hi runners. I'm wondering, did you begin running after walking got boring? Did you just start running from the beginning of your journey? I'd like to run. Right now I walk and jog till I cant anymore then slow it down to a walk again. Any advice?

Replies

• Valera0466
    Valera0466 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I would like to know this as well. I am walking now but would eventually like to start running.
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Hi runners. I'm wondering, did you begin running after walking got boring? Did you just start running from the beginning of your journey? I'd like to run. Right now I walk and jog till I cant anymore then slow it down to a walk again. Any advice?

My love for running began in Army Basic training in 1984. Look into running programs such as Couch to 5k or Hal Higdon programs. I used the Hal Higdon half marathon program for my half last year and last week. Be consistent, don't increase your mileage by any more than 10% per week, vary your runs per week (i.e. trails, intervals, hills), stretch before and after each run and most of all, have fun! Good luck!
  • andrea9873
    andrea9873 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    i joined a training group at the end of January that prepared many level of runners for a 5K in March (6 week training). I went from not running, just walk/jogging to now running full 10ks, I'm still slow....but my endurance is getting better.
  • twood150
    twood150 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend the Couch to 5K (C25K) program!! I have done races for almost 2 years and have always alternated walking and jogging. Just started the C25K program about 7 weeks ago and have been amazed at my progress. Hoping to be able to run (more like jogging in my case) the whole 5k without walking. I will then work on my speed. Good luck!
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I agree with couch to 5k. It's such a great program!
  • MrsLong1980
    MrsLong1980 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5K - I was bored with the gym and it was a program I could follow
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    I started with Couch to 5k. Then I met local runners and joined a local running group. Somewhere along the way I feel completely in love with running.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I started the C25k :)
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    I did the couch to 5k at first but got bored so I skipped to the last few weeks and then off I was....
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    ...by taking one step at a time....
    ...by putting one foot in front of the other...

In all seriousness, I joined a learned to run clinic and haven't looked back since (well actually when I am crossing the road I look both ways).
  • Swanson83
    Swanson83 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    My brother helped push me into running. If you really want to run sign up for a race 8-10 weeks from now, like a 5k. You can prepare for a race of that distance in that time. That is really the only thing that keeps me running right now. Don't get me wrong I love running but my life is busy. Training takes time but it is worth it.
  • iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I used the couch 2 5K program and ran outside. It allows you to run to your playlist and running outside is more fun than on a treadmill. Running trails is fun too!
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    On your marks... get set..... GO!
  • RunnerBlonde808
    RunnerBlonde808 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I just kind of did my own thing. Started out walking for 5 minutes running for 1 minute, kept bumping it up. I now run on average 30 miles a week. I don't like running with other people. I like the alone time. But if you like being with people the running groups would probably fit you good. I started out on a treadmill and now would definitely prefer to be outside most days.
  • flutgos
    flutgos Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I hiked for a few months and then my friend recommended doing the Couch to 5k program. It was a pretty cool experience and I never thought that I would have been able to run 30 minutes without stopping. Here is the graph that we used. The first week is pretty easy but it gets harder.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-vufPeZXIehA/T431lpswJ5I/AAAAAAAAJTA/EX-kCmvFl0I/s1600/Couch+to+5k.gif
  • banffkid
    banffkid Posts: 59
    Options
    Couch to 5K!
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    I started running because I used to run in school and I LOVED it. Skipping rope is another thing I really want to get back into.

I used the C25K program to get started again. :) I'm still using it... week one just finished!!!
  • Miss_Suzylee
    Options
    i took a stop watched and just clocked how much i could run at first. its a great motivator to push yourself. i first started only being able to run about 2 minutes before i felt like i was gonna die. but it actually gets better quickly and after about a month i could jog 30 minutes (in cool weather) without stopping. great feeling
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    C25K. Check it out.
  • aprilgrl27
    aprilgrl27 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Definitely check out the c25k program- like everyone has already said!