How did you start to run?

Options

Replies

• LuluGirl140
    LuluGirl140 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone, I started with Couch to 5 K in November, ran my first 5K in February and now I'm doing Bridge to 10K. At first it was a chore to get out there and run 3 times a week, but now it's my therapy. Just last night my husband was kicking me out of the house, telling me I was like the Snickers commercial where people are cranky before they eat the snickers then they go back to themselves after they eat it. He told me my Snickers equivalent was running and kicked me out so I would stop being grumpy. LOL

Good luck, you'll love it too!!!
  • NurseCarolyn2014
    Options
    I am a new runner myself and I think that a running group would be really fun to get involved in. But for me, I run outside and I used to pick certain "markers" along the road to run to. Then I'd walk for a bit. I eventually kept extending those markers until I didn't have to stop anymore. What I love about running is how fast you see improvements and how great you feel at the end of your run with your accomplishment.
    Good luck, you'll love it :)
  • LivetoRun07
    LivetoRun07 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I became a runner about 6 years ago doing track and cross country and always loved it. It is definitely my favorite way to work out and I think it's because I'm good at it, and it is a very big part of my life. Recently, I didn't get new shoes when I should have so I am going through a bout of shin splints. Luckily they're healing, but I haven't been able to run every day (I alternate it depending on the pain) so I haven't been able to do any hardcore training. I do many 5ks and 10ks in my area, but mostly just do it for enjoyment.
  • MrsR0SE
    MrsR0SE Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know an iphone app for tracking your distance/route/time?

MapMyRun is an awesome tool
    Also endomondo and Runkeeper, and all three are free too :) if you want to pay a bit more you can get ismoothrun which is amazing!
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options

Strava For Android is a great app.
  • mommasox
    mommasox Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I'd like to start running as well. I work in downtown Seattle where almost everywhere you go is up or down a serious hill. I see people running up these all the time. Ive been walking them for a month with a group from work. I am just now to a point where I don't feel like I am going to die going up these hills. But, I would love to someday be able to run up and down these hills.
  • murpcm08
    murpcm08 Posts: 8
    Options
    I did the couch to 5k at first but got bored so I skipped to the last few weeks and then off I was....

This is pretty much true for me, as well. :smile:
  • sexybebe2012
    Options
    Wow! All the responses make me feel better. I can only jog about 1 minute and I'm out of breath and back walking. I'm a little embarrassed doing it in my neighborhood park. So many people are there. lol I'm glad to see that others started out as slowly as I am doing. Thanks.
  • cinemafromage
    Options
    I run barely faster than I walk, don't let the slowness bother ya! Like a friend told me....you're still lapping those on the couch!
  • jessicae1aine
    Options
    How did you all get passed the shin pain and splints? I am not joking. I can run a total of 3 minutes before the pain is so bad I am in tears. I have tired every thing from new shoes, to the way I run or don't run.

The calf stretches here are what we had to do in high school for dance. They worked wonders.

http://www.self.com/fitness/blogs/freshfitnesstips/2011/05/4-shin-splint-solutions-and-st.html
  • Christi6604
    Christi6604 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I was a walker. After I lost some weight I felt stronger and started wanted to jog..but I DID NOT have pleasant memories from jr. high. My boyfriend is a runner, so I asked him some questions. I wanted to get more bang for my time. Seemed like a nice idea to sometimes do a 30 minute jog instead of a 1 hr walk.

I used the C25K (Couch to 5k) Pro App on my phone and I highly recommend it. I heard about it on MFP. I followed the program and it really, really worked for me.

Good luck.
  • ScottyNoHotty
    ScottyNoHotty Posts: 1,957 Member
    Options
    When I hit 320#....I used to run in the Army and hated every minute of it! Now, I've started C25K, and am doing a modified 6 month program as part of my weight loss. Running is the best bang for the buck for cardio! I've had to give up the running occasionally because of a plantar injury, but still come back to it. walking is soooooo boring.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Hi runners. I'm wondering, did you begin running after walking got boring? Did you just start running from the beginning of your journey? I'd like to run. Right now I walk and jog till I cant anymore then slow it down to a walk again. Any advice?

Run until you can't.
    walk 2 minutes.
    Run until you can't.
    repeat.
  • Valera0466
    Valera0466 Posts: 319 Member
    Options

Endomondo is awesome. Uses GPS.
  • _SpeshK_
    _SpeshK_ Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    If you're BRAND NEW to running I would suggest 'Run Your Butt Off'
    It really eases you into running from walking.
    If you are already doing spouts of jogging, though, then I would also suggest Couch to 5K.

And as far as apps go, ENDOMONDO all the way. The free version is super awesome, but the paid version, which I think cost me like 20 cents, is badass. It even shows you what music you run fastest to.

:)
  • jedibunny
    jedibunny Posts: 321
    Options
    I walked. Then zombies started to chase me.

http://www.zombiesrungame.com

screen-4.jpg
  • beebee0925
    beebee0925 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I started running about 12 years ago a co-worker of mine used to walk briskly during our lunch break. One time she was walking so fast I practically had to run to keep up with her. And that's how we started running. We eventually trained for and ran a half marathon. After it we both got of shape. So ten years later I'm going back to jogging using the Couch to 5k program (www.c25k.com).
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I just Googled, "How to start running".
  • 416runner
    416runner Posts: 159
    Options
    I took a beginner running clinic with a local running store. It was much like the C2K program - run for a period, then walk, repeat and repeat. I still do clinics because I enjoy the social element of it - I've made some great runner friends that way.
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Buy a good pair of running shoes