What if you HATE veggies?

Options
So I'm going to take on clean eating...which will be very hard since I have a massive chocolate habit, and I have a coffee IV on my desk. I'm fine with the fruits, but I absolutely HATE veggies. I will only eat broccoli if it's covered in cheese and steamed beyond recognition. I tried to eat some carrot sticks and I physically wretched and could not make myself swallow the bite. Same with celery and cauliflower.

We tried the juicing cleanse and I only lasted one day. I had to throw out my favorite water bottle because it reaked of kale from Mean Green. The stench wouldn't wash out.

So is there any hope for veggie prejudice? I can eat fruit all day long...love me some oranges!

Replies

• hockeyfan87
    hockeyfan87 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I'm the SAME way! I HATEEE veggies!!....Love fruit! haha
  • amyowens08
    amyowens08 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I hate veggies too...but I LOVE the v8 vfusion juice...the acai blueberry is wonderful and also the concord grape raspberry. theres a full serving of fruit and a full serving of veggies in each serving.
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Have you tried kale chips? Straight out of the oven they taste so much like regular potato chips you forget they're even good for you.
  • MrsBully4
    MrsBully4 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
  • shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    What about peppers, courgettes, aurbergines, sweet potato, onions, garlic, spinach, leeks etc etc.

There is a world of veg out there! Don't write them all off based on a couple of bad experiences.
  • xlolitabandita
    Options
    I used to be the same way...I would gag at the thought of a salad...Now I'm a vegetarian, and i love anything and everything from the produce secetion....Just start small. I tried small portion of different veggies cooked different ways. When I found ones I liked, I started adding them in more and more with less and less cheese/dressings. I simply had to teach myself to like them instead of a big mac...It took time, but I got there. You're taste buds will change over time if you start adding new foods into your diet.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I don't eat em and I'm fine.

I don't generally recommend it, but it's not the end of the world either.
  • sninny
    sninny Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Have you tried kale chips? Straight out of the oven they taste so much like regular potato chips you forget they're even good for you.

That sounds yummy. How do you make them?
  • Sheila_Ann
    Sheila_Ann Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    ditto! Hate veggies! My nutritionist told me to try to cut them up into small pieces or blend them in a blender and just add it to whatever i'm cooking. Kinda like out of sight out of mind lol

Be careful with fruits they are high in sugar (even though it's natural sugar).

Good luck!
  • emily356
    emily356 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I used to be the same way...I would gag at the thought of a salad...Now I'm a vegetarian, and i love anything and everything from the produce secetion....Just start small. I tried small portion of different veggies cooked different ways. When I found ones I liked, I started adding them in more and more with less and less cheese/dressings. I simply had to teach myself to like them instead of a big mac...It took time, but I got there. You're taste buds will change over time if you start adding new foods into your diet.

^^^This!!! I am not a vegetarian, though!;) But I love most veggies now!! Baby steps!!
  • senyosmom
    senyosmom Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    try different kinds you may end up liking something. if so, eat the hell outta that one veggie :)

Try sweet peppers.
  • mollyjb3
    mollyjb3 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm the opposite, I'd choose vegetables over fruit any day! Love veggies...what about mild flavored ones like cucumber? Or sweet bell peppers? Or sweet potatoes or corn? Do you like any of those?
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    I used to hate veggies, but learned to love them over time. Just keep trying, new recipes are a good way to be surprised by how good a vegetable can taste that you usually dislike.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I don't like veggies, but I can eat them in stuff. Like a casserole with broccoli mixed into it. Mixing them with fats and other flavors makes it so you can't taste them as much.
  • cspong
    cspong Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    My husband is the same way. He gets physically ill sometimes. Its rare but I know what you're talking about. Honestly, I've mostly given up on him ever liking them. He takes a multivitamin every morning, but he still eats whatever dinners I make. He has to chase the food down with juice or water to get them down, but he'll do it because he knows it's important to me for him to be healthy.

He's an extreme case, he's been like that since he was a kid, but even he is just taking it for what it is and making himself eat them.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Just get used to eating salad. Your taste buds will slowly but surely adjust. It takes time, but it will be worth it! If you must, you can start out with the "bad" dressings like ranch, with the intention of eventually changing to healthier dressings. And don't dump a bunch of croutons and bacon bits on there either, unless you have to initially to force the salad down. But make sure to eventually cut them out as well.
  • dfborders
    dfborders Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I'm not a huge veggie lover but I have found some veggies I like. The thing to remember is try different things. My family loves when I grill zucchini with a little italian dressing on it, grilled asparagus with lemon juice and garlic, grilled portabello marinated in italian dressing, etc. I won't eat raw boccoli and will only eat the steamfresh broccoli with light cheese sauce. I have also tried a few of the other frozen veggie mixtures - like the root vegetable with cranberries. Sometimes I add veggies to things I cook also - like I will chop in a blender raw carrots and add that to raw hamburger and cook like normal (my Husband and stepson never even know the different). I will also chop cucumber into tuna fish because my husband hates celery. Just some ideas - Good Luck:flowerforyou:
  • Funsoaps
    Funsoaps Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Kids are like this.
    My naturopath said to find what your kid likes (even if it's one thing) and just feed them that all the time. So maybe there is one veggie you like, stick to that. Take supplements to make up for what you're missing. Try other things like V8 fusion for fruits and veggies, or smoothies are better (sneak in spinach and you cannot taste it I swear) or also a juicer (you won't be able to taste a lot of the vegetables). Add veggies to soup, boil them. Onions are a veggie, you like that added to foods, it flavors it.
  • Sabresgal63
    Sabresgal63 Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    If you hate vege's don't eat them.....plain and simple....
  • Remarkable1
    Remarkable1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I personally love veggies, but I cook for a boyfriend who HATES them! I've successfully made turkey meatloaf with carrots, celery, and onion chopped up really fine (useing a food processor) and sautteed them in olive oil before mixing into the meat and baking. I even added spinach! Matt loved this! Also, I've even found raw vegetables hard to swallow sometimes.. when I have to chew too long on them it will make me want to gag. Try steaming, sauteeing, grilling, or roasting (my fave) your veggies and season them well with sea salt, pepper, garlic, etc. Hope this helps!