Acne

Options
2»

Replies

• SamanthaD23
    SamanthaD23 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I am 31 . . . too old for acne! The more I work out the more problems I have. I use Clean and Clear and clean my face
    morning and night. I find that its getting harder to keep acne away. My face is not too bad but my chin area is frustrating me.
    Someone said I should try birth control but I have no reason to go on that other than acne so no thanks there.
    Anyone use anything that doesn't cost a fortune? I am looking for anything to help!

Are you taking any supplements that might be throwing you off balance? Its worth going to see doc and explain any major lifestye changes you've made. And I agree - you should not take birth control pills for acne! lol

Personally I have suffered from Rosacea for about eight years, and no one knows what causes this - though I am convinced stress and anxiety has a lot to do with it. I take antibiotics for this - if it is Rrosacea they give you a gel to apply to start with - this just made it ten times worse for me so I went back to doc. I still get the occasional flare if I'm stressed about something.

Go chat to Doc, you're best bet. Good luck.
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I've been using the oil cleansing method for about 8 months now, and my skin is better than it has ever been in a LONG time....I used to get really bad hormal acne (on chin/cheek area) and even birth control could only do so much. I have tried all the otc products you find at the store, tried proactive and even some medicated stuff and my skin has never been this acne-free AND soft at the same time(acne perscriptions really dry your skin out bad) check it out!

http://www.theoilcleansingmethod.com/

I use grapeseed, olive oil (100% pure first cold press), and avocado oil....but thats just me
  • DesireeLovesOrganic
    DesireeLovesOrganic Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I just started the oil cleansing about a week ago and so far it's working for me too. I do castor oil (hexane free Heritage brand) with jojoba oil, (2/3-1/3.) Previously I used Proactiv and it worked great for about a year and then totally stopped working altogether (or maybe even worse. Boo!) I did move closer to the beach and the weather here is different. I used to live in the desert so I think that made a difference. I also have PCOS so I know my hormones are funky sometimes. (I'm 32 and didn't start getting acne problems until about 29, not even as a teenager, wth?!)
  • JediSwan
    JediSwan Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I clean my face after each workout, usually take a shower if I work out in the evening. I wash my face in the mornings also
    because I tend to feel "icky." I bought a new cleanser and so far, its okay. I am going to change it up in a few weeks and buy Proactive to see if that works if what I just bought does not.

Thank you all for your posts. Much appreciated!
  • mgraue82
    mgraue82 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    It could also be hormone related. I went into early menopuase when I was 30 and all heck broke out with my skin and I still deal with it and I'm 53. Not as bad but I still get break outs from time to time. I also learned the hard way that I can't use any products that have salicylic acid in them as it just makes it worse. I am using Clinique products (face wash, toner and moisturizer for acne prone/oily skin, #3) and have had the best luck the last 10 years. I will also use Neutrogena's Acne Spot Gel directly on a spot. Try to also use make-up specifically for oily skin.

On a good note, if you have oily skin you typically age better! LOL! Good luck to you!

Well son of a gun! Looks like I'll be looking 30 when I'm 80 if that's the case ;) Made my day!!!
  • mgraue82
    mgraue82 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I've been using the oil cleansing method for about 8 months now, and my skin is better than it has ever been in a LONG time....I used to get really bad hormal acne (on chin/cheek area) and even birth control could only do so much. I have tried all the otc products you find at the store, tried proactive and even some medicated stuff and my skin has never been this acne-free AND soft at the same time(acne perscriptions really dry your skin out bad) check it out!

I use grapeseed, olive oil (100% pure first cold press), and avocado oil....but thats just me

Because of you I tried the Oil Cleansing Method and it's like a spa day every day for your skin! I LOVE it! Especially after I got a little sun burn a few weeks back I did this treatment and it actually felt good on my burn instead of irritating it like everything else used to. I highly recommend this - I know it sounds weird because it's oil and you think "Umm? How could oil clear my skin?" but it does. I had the bad cystic acne on my chin from hormones etc. and this has worked some magic with my skin!
  • AJ_Pete
    AJ_Pete Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I am 31 . . . too old for acne! The more I work out the more problems I have. I use Clean and Clear and clean my face
    morning and night. I find that its getting harder to keep acne away. My face is not too bad but my chin area is frustrating me.
    Someone said I should try birth control but I have no reason to go on that other than acne so no thanks there.
    Anyone use anything that doesn't cost a fortune? I am looking for anything to help!

Biotin & zinc. Also, apple cider vinegar... topically and also by ingesting it (if you can handle it- I water mine down).
  • stonerdude
    stonerdude Posts: 103
    Options
  • sarahh87
    sarahh87 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Before you shell out too much money I would definitely recommend wrapping a clean, cotton towel around your pillow to sleep on. It sounds too simple and good to be true but it did wonders for my acne! On the second night I flip it over to the clean side and then replace it with a clean towel the next day. I also have had great results with Clean & Clear dual action moisturizer and use it twice a day, every day - but like others have mentioned everyone reacts differently to products. But give the towel a shot - it can't hurt!!
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    Options

Because of you I tried the Oil Cleansing Method and it's like a spa day every day for your skin! I LOVE it! Especially after I got a little sun burn a few weeks back I did this treatment and it actually felt good on my burn instead of irritating it like everything else used to. I highly recommend this - I know it sounds weird because it's oil and you think "Umm? How could oil clear my skin?" but it does. I had the bad cystic acne on my chin from hormones etc. and this has worked some magic with my skin!
    Yeah all i ever really got was the cystic acne.....now if i get an acne its like a little tiny bump....but before they would be HUGE and sometimes under the skin and would hurt when i would move the facial part it was on.....ive been doing it a while now and will never go back to regular cleansing products.....one things i did buy was the aveena natural scrub, to scrub the dead skin away in the mornings
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    Options
    I clean my face after each workout, usually take a shower if I work out in the evening. I wash my face in the mornings also
    because I tend to feel "icky." I bought a new cleanser and so far, its okay. I am going to change it up in a few weeks and buy Proactive to see if that works if what I just bought does not.

Thank you all for your posts. Much appreciated!

Be very careful of overwashing your face! If you dry your skin out, your sebacous glands(oil producing glands) will overproduce and actually cause a breakout. I only wash my face once a day, and thats at night time, every few days i will use a scrub in the morining though. If you are sleeping at night, you face doesn't get dirty so there is no need to wash it in the morning.
  • JAFODOC
    JAFODOC Posts: 2
    Options
    I like to take a more natural approach myself. The combination of oils is really important. Someone said something about scarring and that is something to take seriously. Oils are the key to moisturizing and one of the best is neroli. It's gaining popularity and thankfully is finding its way into some great products. If you're going to use essential oils to treat acne and heal scar damage, I recommend doing some research on neroli oil and healing scar damage. Whether your using essentials in a facial wrap or applying them as a topical moisturizer, they're great for the natural chemistry of the skin and body.
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Honestly, the only thing that's helped my acne was changing my diet. When I limit dairy and grains and processed food, my acne gets better. When I don't, it gets bad. For many people, acne can be dealt with just by using certain washes or whatever, and that's awesome. But if you can't find something that works, you might want to look to your diet.
  • Micheetah
    Micheetah Posts: 184 Member
    Options

Clinique 3 step Acne Solutions. The starter kit is $32 and for the full size 3 step its only $54, which lasts and way worth it. I am 30 and have suffered from Acne since I was 14. I have had Rx's, used Proactive and have cut out foods I have allergies to, BUT nothing has cleared my skin as much as this product. I started using it 3 wks ago and it is amazing. I have not had my skin this clear in FOREVER. I wish I could tell EVERYONE! Acne sux, it doesnt matter how much weight I lose or how pretty I am, I would never feel beautiful with acne, I always felt ugly. Now my self confidence is a bit better. Just waiting for some scarring/dark spots to fade =)
  • Phoink
    Phoink Posts: 8
    Options
    I am pretty sure I am going to get proactive. Nothing else has cleared up my face so far.
    I heard something about it turning your face red after using it though. Anyone know if that is true?

As well as getting the basic 3 step system, I swear by the green tea moisturizer. I find it really helps with the redness you are speaking of.

The upside to Proactiv is that you can usually try it for $20.00 and you'll either get a green tea moisturizer or face mask as an extra sampler for free. I stopped the automatic mailing, though. I would end up with too much of one step and need to buy more of another. If you look on Amazon or just google Proactiv, you can find much larger bottles of the different products so you don't have to buy it as often and it's a better value.

Like any product, it doesn't work for everyone, but I hope it works for you! :happy: