What if you HATE veggies?

Options

Replies

• susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Personal opinion:

Try small quantities of things. And by small, I mean very small, like 2 bites. "Okay, I just have to eat these two bites of broccoli and I'm done," the way you would go about teaching a child to eat something they dislike.

I *hate* raw vegetables. I really do. I only eat cooked ones, unless it's coleslaw or tomatoes. I figure that cooked veggies are better than no veggies. When I started eating more vegetables (several years ago, so it won't show on my tracker), at first I would pour cream/cheese sauce over them. Gradually I cut down on the quantities of sauce and acclimatized myself to the taste of the vegetables.
  • Jason1044
    Jason1044 Posts: 1
    Options
    Really? Who doesn't like veggies? There are so many out there. You can juice Kale, romaine, carrot, cukes or other veggies along with fruit. Steamed spinach - delish! Just about any green veggie steamed is yummy. I'm not a fan of all veggies - don't like Tomatoes, Eggplant, or anise, but I can't get enough veggies. I think if you're coming from a processed/packaged food background, it may be hard at first, but think of veggies as the original source for packaged foods. Why eat fruits & veggies which have gone through a factory to be turned into frozen food, canned food, etc, when you can have the real thing. Not all veggies from the big supermarkets are the best each variety can offer, many are sold in markets because they stay fresh longer, or are easier to grow / ship rather than for taste and nutrition. Try a farmers market and eat the veggies which are in season. For instance, I like asparagus but I really LOVE asparagus from our local farm - Four Town Farms in Mass - when it's in season. Same for just about any fruit or veg. The closer to the season, the better. I've been a vegetarian for 27 years, gave up processed / packaged foods about a decade ago and our family eats fruit & veg at every meal (yes, every meal) without table salt, and maybe a little butter for steamed veggies. If my 6yo son & 11 yo daughter can do it and ask for veggies, you can do it too!
  • turningstar
    turningstar Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Im the same way, although my distaste includes most fruit too.I've been like this my whole life, and have tried many times to "reform". Its gotten a little better, but with most veggies I end up wretching. My doctor says im healthy and I feel good, so I just stick with the few I like.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Broccoli, however, will never be good. Blech :sick:

Hope this helps!

In other news, please mail all your broccoli to:

auroranflash the T-Rex
    PO Box 99
    Broccoli, TX 77401

I got me some potatoes needs toppin'.
  • octosilver
    octosilver Posts: 23
    Options
    I use to hate them but when I am hungry they taste great.
  • bhankiii
    bhankiii Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big fan of veggies either, except I love Indian and Thai food, so you might try there. I love onions, peppers and garlic, so I eat a lot of Italian (with brown rice pasta). Try serving leftovers hot on a bed of baby spinach. I also love cilantro, and use it everywhere. And avocados. And salsa. Not so much tomatoes but they go well in Italian and with cilantro and avocado. So start with what you do like and build on that. There's no rule that says you have to eat your veggies.
  • MonaMel01
    MonaMel01 Posts: 18
    Options
    Kale chips are easy to make (and kale is super-chep to buy).

Just take the spine out of the kale, I rinse mine off in a strainer since you never know where they've been! Shake to remove as much moisture as you can.

Put them in a bowl and season them.

I use salt (sparingly becase I'm sodium intollerant and the chips hold the salt after baking), pepper and hot sauce. You can use what you want, but that is what I like. Then put on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper (don't overlap if you can avoid it). I've used aluminum foil, but it sticks to that. Parchment works well and removes easily after it's done.

Bake at 350-400 degrees for about 10 mins. I check mine frequently to pull the leaves that are crispy, some take longer, but just keep an eye on them.

I put them on racks to cool overnight, they will stay crispy once you store them. If you don't mind them soft, put immediately in a zip-lock or tupperwear container.
  • smcging
    smcging Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. I HATE veggies. Salt is like my crack and I know this is horrible but I'll order a plain chicken salad, I mean just lettuce and chicken and put salt on the lettuce and I swear it tastes just like french fries! It might be that I like salt more than french fries but there you go. Not that what I do is heathly by any means but it does add some fiber to my diet.
  • susannamarie
    Options
    I'm the same way. I HATE veggies. Salt is like my crack and I know this is horrible but I'll order a plain chicken salad, I mean just lettuce and chicken and put salt on the lettuce and I swear it tastes just like french fries! It might be that I like salt more than french fries but there you go. Not that what I do is heathly by any means but it does add some fiber to my diet.

Oh yeah, ditto. I salt the crap out of my veggies. I also eat tons of potassium and have blood pressure that's slightly below normal so I'm not worried about it.
  • kobiemom
    kobiemom Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    My husband was the same way when I met him. He would only eat lettuce and canned corn. Period. His mother didn't serve veggies and he never developed a taste for them. He agreed that they were a good idea. That was step one. He tried something new every so often - no pressure and it had to be his idea. It helped if it was cooked with something he liked - like garlic and butter. Fast forward to now - he eats raw zucchini and grilled asperagus and everything in between. You can do this and you don't have to suffer. Take your time. it's a journey.
  • skinnybearlyndsay
    skinnybearlyndsay Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I used to be that way. It took time to adjust my palate. I noticed that once I started cutting out the "bad" foods and my system cleaned itself out, I craved fresh vegetables because they were loaded with nutrients. Start slow with maybe some "bland" vegetables and work your way from there.
  • NaomiDollar
    NaomiDollar Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Most people do not realize this but bell peppers, cucumbers, eggplant, avocado, and squash are actually fruits. I was told if it has seeds on the inside it is usually a fruit not a veggie.
  • hollyk57
    hollyk57 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    OMG I love veggies... of course, I'm also a vegetarian, but I can't imagine my world without them. Maybe it's just that you haven't had them prepared in a way you like. Carrots for example - my husband always loathed cooked carrots. He could handle a smidge of shaved carrot on a salad, but that's it. Then I roasted them for him, which brings out their natural sweetness and leaves them tasing more like a sweet potato than a carrot, and now he can't stop asking me to make them. Another one is cauliflower - roasted with a kalamata lemon vinagrette - he begs for it. Try to shake things up

- Grill corn on the Cob
    - Make Kale Chips
    - Roast Veggies like cauliflower, zucchini, root vegetables, and corn to sweeten them up and give them an amazing flavor
    - try a variety - you may still hate some veggies, but I bet you'll find one you like! :)
  • Erica27511
    Erica27511 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    Most people do not realize this but bell peppers, cucumbers, eggplant, avocado, and squash are actually fruits. I was told if it has seeds on the inside it is usually a fruit not a veggie.

In the strict sense, yes, so are corn, tomatoes and bean pods, but by common usage they are usually referred to as vegetables.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    Broccoli, however, will never be good. Blech :sick:

Hope this helps!

In other news, please mail all your broccoli to:

auroranflash the T-Rex
    PO Box 99
    Broccoli, TX 77401

I got me some potatoes needs toppin'.

Lol!

I LOOOOVE broccoli but was told I'm intolerant to it, I was so sad.
    My dr said "There have only been 2 people I've seen intolerant to broccoli, you and an 8 year old boy, he was not upset about it at all"
  • susannamarie
    Options
    I LOOOOVE broccoli but was told I'm intolerant to it, I was so sad.
    My dr said "There have only been 2 people I've seen intolerant to broccoli, you and an 8 year old boy, he was not upset about it at all"

Haha.

I really hate that :( I used to looove cheerios and now I'm intolerant to them.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Hide them in your food; if a 5 year old will eat it, chances are you will too:

http://www.thesneakychef.com/
    http://www.amazon.com/Deceptively-Delicious-Simple-Secrets-Eating/dp/0061251348

That V-8 juice kind of misses the point. You lose all of the fiber and get a boat load of sugar. You'd be better off making green smoothies. A little fruit for sweetness and a good handful of kale or spinach, and for liquid add water, kefir, milk, almond milk, or whatever you like.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    Find different ways to cook them. Experiment.

And KEEP TRYING to eat them...as we age our taste buds change and the foods we hated as children we like as Adults...

There HAS to be some veggies out there that you like. YOu can't hate them all...

Eat the ones that you do like!

And there is nothing wrong with putting a little bit of cheese on your veggies...still better than eating fries and gravy right? lol

Cut 'em up, shred 'em up and hide them in other foods such as pastas and soups...or shakes!
    Eat them with meat... I love me some mushrooms, onions and tomatoes over some steak... Or make a stir fry...
    Put them on Pizza...
    Heat 'em up on the grill...slather them in soya sauce....garlic....butter....or a variety of herbs....olive oil....
    Put salt on them...
    Use dips....
  • cfranklin6353
    cfranklin6353 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I don't hate Vegans...they are great with some fava beans and a nice chianti. Wait...what?.....OH VEGGIES! My bad.

Cows are vegans, and they're delicious! :)

Thanks for the advice. I do like sweet potatoes, but not without brown sugar, nutmeg, and cinnamon. I tried the cauliflower mash and I had the same reaction. It's definitely a mind over matter thing. Zucchini chips sound good...