Gym size discrimination

Options

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    It's interesting that if you started a gym for tall, buff males only you'd have lawyers lining up around the block eager to drag the owners into court for violating somebody's human rights (remember - this gym is in Canada where political correctness is upheld by our Supreme Court and the Human Rights Tribunals get involved in some of the most ridiculous cases)
  • bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I wish they had something like this here. I stopped going to my gym at the college because I would always get snide looks and remarks from the other girls there. It's probably due to a low maturity level of most college-goers at a private institution, but it's still disheartening to try and change your life, but hear, "Omg, that's so nasty, why is she even trying," when you're trying to do something for yourself.

EDIT: That's the reason I started running and doing everything solitary...

This is the exact reason this gym exists. Well, this and other snide comments folks have made in this very thread.

Do you really think the snide comments were only made by thin people here?
  • Jude1064
    Jude1064 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Wow for someone to say a gym shouldnt discriminate against skinny people, there sure are a lot of you doing it towards fat people. So what if someone walks 2.0 on the treadmill or can only do the recumbant bike? BFD.. At least they are trying. I think its hilarious that the skinny people have their knickers in a knot for being subjected to size discrimination. These derogatory comments are the reason the gym is making the change.
  • Doing_The_Unstruck
    Doing_The_Unstruck Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    It could be a good idea to attract members who won't join a gym because they are embarassed of their size.
  • lynheff
    lynheff Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    guess they don't think people who use their gym will ever be successful.! Well, they know their program. My gym has people of all sizes and ages--though it is for women only. I have no problem working out with guys but I like that the machines are smaller and lower to the ground and the weight intervals are less. My gym offers personal trainers who work with you no matter what your size or ability level.
  • ColleenPosley
    Options
    Here's my reaction: FINALLY! As an official fat chick, I am SICK TO DEATH of walking into the gym and being stared at by skinnies who only see the fat. They don't see the back injury that kept me from moving for five months solid. They don't see the car accident that caused a hemotoma (spelling?) on my knee, preventing it from bending properly for over a year. They don't see the anti-depressant that promoted lethargy and weight gain. They don't see the aching knees, sprained wrists, sciatica...they just see the fat, and they bloody well stare.

I've been the butt end of PILES of nasty comments at the gym, and they all seem very surprised when I turn around and say, "The fat's in my *kitten*, not my head. I'll lose weight and be better for it. You'll be an {insert insult here} til the day you die." They get all bent outta shape about it. One even reported me for simply saying, "I'm fat, not deaf you idiot." Yeah...

I'm not a rabid anti-skinny or anything...I'm just tired of being expected to take the abuse just because I'm fat. Where's your compassion, huh? Isn't the gym where you're SUPPOSED to go to get healthy? Why look down on me because I want the same thing you want?
  • nymthiriel
    nymthiriel Posts: 42
    Options
    Here's my reaction: FINALLY! As an official fat chick, I am SICK TO DEATH of walking into the gym and being stared at by skinnies who only see the fat. They don't see the back injury that kept me from moving for five months solid. They don't see the car accident that caused a hemotoma (spelling?) on my knee, preventing it from bending properly for over a year. They don't see the anti-depressant that promoted lethargy and weight gain. They don't see the aching knees, sprained wrists, sciatica...they just see the fat, and they bloody well stare.

I've been the butt end of PILES of nasty comments at the gym, and they all seem very surprised when I turn around and say, "The fat's in my *kitten*, not my head. I'll lose weight and be better for it. You'll be an {insert insult here} til the day you die." They get all bent outta shape about it. One even reported me for simply saying, "I'm fat, not deaf you idiot." Yeah...

I'm not a rabid anti-skinny or anything...I'm just tired of being expected to take the abuse just because I'm fat. Where's your compassion, huh? Isn't the gym where you're SUPPOSED to go to get healthy? Why look down on me because I want the same thing you want?

I agree, the comments are very hurtful. I'm not morbidly obese or anything, but compared to the girls at my college, I might as well be. Where's all the motivational people I keep hearing about?? :\
  • carriempls
    carriempls Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I wish they had something like this here. I stopped going to my gym at the college because I would always get snide looks and remarks from the other girls there. It's probably due to a low maturity level of most college-goers at a private institution, but it's still disheartening to try and change your life, but hear, "Omg, that's so nasty, why is she even trying," when you're trying to do something for yourself.

This is the exact reason this gym exists. Well, this and other snide comments folks have made in this very thread.

Of course not, but that's not the point.

The point is creating a "safe" space where folks feel comfortable to work out with others with similar goals.
  • I wish they had something like this here. I stopped going to my gym at the college because I would always get snide looks and remarks from the other girls there. It's probably due to a low maturity level of most college-goers at a private institution, but it's still disheartening to try and change your life, but hear, "Omg, that's so nasty, why is she even trying," when you're trying to do something for yourself.

She didn't say thin people made the comments. Rude people come in all shapes and sizes..
  • Krissy366
    Krissy366 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I looked at the gym's website, and it seems to be more of a bootcamp. You work directly with the trainers at all times and pay based on how many days you're going to attend (and it's expensive!). In that context, I can understand much better why they have restrictions. It's one thing if it's a normal gym where everything is doing their own thing; it's another if trainers are there to work with a specific group with common issues.

Thanks for clarifying! We have a gym similar to his near my house. It has group training classes for different types of people. it doesn't have equipment or anything, just boot camps. It makes sense that for a bootcamp you wouldn't want people of varying degrees of fitness in a class, and it makes sense to have beginner or advanced. It also makes sense that they would want these bootcamps to ctarer to a spcefic group of people.

I too looked at the website. It's not a gym. It's "fit camp and adventure company." It's not designed to be a place to go forever. It's a place to start the process. And I think especially for adventure stuff, having people in and around the same fitness level makes perfect sense.

Even if it were a gym, I wouldn't have issue with it. I agree with the poster that said it's no different than clothing stores that cater to different sizes.

That said - look no further than some of the rude comments in this thread to see why many people don't want to step into a gym when they are severely overweight.
  • Wow for someone to say a gym shouldnt discriminate against skinny people, there sure are a lot of you doing it towards fat people. So what if someone walks 2.0 on the treadmill or can only do the recumbant bike? BFD.. At least they are trying. I think its hilarious that the skinny people have their knickers in a knot for being subjected to size discrimination. These derogatory comments are the reason the gym is making the change.

Exactly.......not saying the gym is right, but I get why people could see the attraction of this concept.
  • Krissy366
    Krissy366 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    They have an update to this original article here: http://blisstree.com/look/quit-expecting-body-equality-when-fat-only-gyms-are-such-a-double-standard-780/

Personally I think a gym should be for everyone.

But it's not a gym. Not in the traditional sense that most people are thinking of and commenting on. Look up the website. This is irresponsible reporting at it's finest - cause a big stir over something by inaccurately reporting it.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I love all the skinny people in the gym - even the big boobed done up girls who don't work out but sit on the machines on their phones - even they are motivating to me, to look better and be healthier.

Blocking anyone who wants to pay you money is stupid as someone else pointed out.. however if they're going to block anyone it should be the people who come to the gym dressed up, who just sit around and socialize, or walk around trying to pick people up.
    They're in the way of all the people seriously trying to get fit.

But again.. it's stupid.
  • BeccaLevine
    BeccaLevine Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I think the general idea isn't that bad actually, because I know when I was extremely overweight I did feel intimidated at the gym, but there are too many flaws with this idea as other posters have pointed out. But it's in Canada, and really, it doesn't effect me at all. There are much larger issues going on in the world that I will waste my time worrying about.
  • Trutra
    Trutra Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I dont think it is such a bad idea especially since it is more of a boot camp kind of thing. We have a few of those around here and they generally only admit you if you have a certain percentage to lose. How is that any different? As far as discrimiation goes at the gym it does exist. Apart from the occasional stare by people at the gym I have never had a problem. I have found that it is the super fit gym types that are actually more supportive than the others and I have had tips and motivation, as well as compliments from a few. THe stares I have gotten have been from the average person there. I was extremely intimidated when I first started going and would hide out in the toilet for ages before I got the courage to go upstairs to the gym.Now, I am working full time I have no time to do this, lol, so have to just get on with it. It is one of the reasons I do aquarobics because the pool is separate from the gym and once I am in the water no-one sees how big I am.

However, my friend who goes to the same gym as me but at a busier times has had numerous comments. She has been pushed out of the way in the queue. Just the other day she told me she was on the bike and a girl walked up to her and asked her to get off saying "I need to use this bike and its not like you are going to do anything here anyway" She was devestated, burst into tears and walked out. I am pretty sure she would prefer to be at a gym where she isnt going to have people treat her like that.
    I also read an article a while ago about a study they did on gym staff and overweight people. It found that they tended to spend less time with the overweight people and approach them less than those of normal weight, even though they all scored themselves as visiting overweight people equally.
  • MizSaz
    MizSaz Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Time to flip this one around.

What if there was a gym that specifically said No Fat People- You're Bad For Morale?
  • _SpeshK_
    _SpeshK_ Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Ha....WOW.....
  • peles_fire
    peles_fire Posts: 501
    Options
    Maybe the gym needs two separate sections, like we used to have for smoking and non smoking? They could open up the fat people's gym on one side of the street and when people reached the cutoff point, they would be neatly funneled to the skinny folks gym across the street. That way, the gym could keep their business.

As a very large woman, I have to say I am not unmotivated by being around skinny/fit people. I figure we both motivate each other in opposing ways. They look at me and think "I never want to look like that" and do extra reps, and I look at them and think "I so wanna look like that" and do extra reps. Symbiotic relationship really.

As for people who make comments. F*&% em. Say whatever you want to say about me, my double chins, my flabby butt, my jiggling Buddha belly. I don't care. I am there to get healthy and screw anyone who tries to bring me down.

I liked the post that said she is there to work out and not be social. I am the fat maniac next to you, listening to my ear buds and my own inner voice and ignoring all else! :)

Or, maybe, they can just be as is. If that's the clientele they want to cater too - so be it.

Absolutely agreed. I was commenting more to the fact that people thought it was a poor business move on the gym's part and suggesting an alternative with more than just a little tongue in cheek. As stated above, I really don't give a f*#@. Doesn't offend me, doesn't matter one way or another to me.
  • runnerchick69
    runnerchick69 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I want a gym where you see people of all shapes and sizes! Sure I may be small now but I once wasn't and even now when I see someone heavy at the gym I am thinking good for you. It's a gym and there should be no discrimination on either end of the spectrum!
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    Discriminating against any paying customer is a stupid idea financially.
    From a gym's point of view, the perfect customer is one who pays for one or two years membership then gives up after a few weeks and never returns. Those members don't take up space on the machines, don't attend classes, and gyms can have an unlimited number of them regardless of the size of their premises.

So rather than it being bad business practice to exclude fit people, selecting your members solely from a subset of people who clearly have failed in all previous attempts to get fit is a fabulous business model! :bigsmile:

Unfortunately, while it may encourage a few onto the path of fitness, I don't think such segregation is a positive thing for their clientèle in the long term.