Help! Dinner sides?

Options
krazykristen123
krazykristen123 Posts: 103 Member
I am to the point where i am having like the same side dishes every night
i would really love some different dishes. Help?

Replies

• skinnyeascolady
    skinnyeascolady Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    What do you currantly have? Have you thought of cauliflower mock mashed poatotoes or mock rice. There are some really good south beach recipes you can get a your local library they have some awsome veggie ideas. Stuffed mushrooms perhaps nice and easy too. If I think of anymore I will post them K
  • brk_1982
    brk_1982 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
  • jbond80
    jbond80 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Hope this helps, these are a few of my faves:
    Cauliflower Fritters

Servings: 12 • Size: 2 fritters • Old Points: 2 pts • Points+: 3 pts
    Calories: 108.9 • Fat: 6.6 g • Protein: 3.8 g • Carb: 9.4 g • Fiber: 2.1 g

This is a delicious way to prepare cauliflower. Similar to the taste of a potato pancake. Your kids will love them! Makes approx 24 fritters depending on size of cauliflower

4 cups steamed cauliflower (roughly chopped)

2 cloves garlic, crushed
    1 cup whole wheat flour
    2 eggs
    1/2 cup Pecorino Romano
    1/4 cup parsley, finely chopped
    1/4 cup hot water

salt and pepper
    1/4 cup olive oil

In a large bowl, combine cauliflower, flour, garlic, eggs, grated cheese, parsley, salt and pepper. Add water so that batter becomes slightly more dense than pancake batter.

On medium-low heat, add 1 tbsp of oil in a 10 inch skillet coating bottom of the pan. Use a 1/4 cup measuring cup to form fritters. You can fit 4 fritters at a time. Cook until golden brown, turn and cook another few minutes. Add a little more oil to the pan, and repeat with the remaining batter.

Makes 24 fritters.
    Summer Squash Skill

A quick and tasty side dish and complements any meal.

Number of Servings: 3

Ingredients
    1 cup summer squash, sliced
    1 cup zucchini, sliced
    1/4 cup carrots, strips or slices
    5 medium fresh mushrooms
    1/2 tbsp butter
    Seasoned salt

Directions
    Cut squash, carrots and mushrooms in thin slices.
    Melt butter in skillet; add vegetables and seasoned salt. Cook until slightly browned; turn and cook until underside is browned.

Number of Servings: 3
    Nutritional Info
    Servings Per Recipe: 3
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories: 38.0
    Total Fat: 1.6 g
    Cholesterol: 3.6 mg
    Sodium: 20.0 mg
    Total Carbs: 5.5 g
    Dietary Fiber: 1.9 g
    Protein: 1.9 g

Mediterranean Couscous Salad Recipe

Prep Time: 20 Mins | Total Time: 1 Hr 20 Mins | Makes: 8 Servings

Ingredients:

1 cup (250 mL) chicken broth
    3/4 cup (175 mL) uncooked couscous
    1 cup (250 mL) cubed plum (Roma) tomatoes (3 medium)
    1 cup (250 mL) cubed unpeeled cucumber (1 small)
    1/2 cup (125 mL) halved pitted kalamata olives
    1/4 cup (50 mL) chopped green onions (about 4 medium)
    1/4 cup (50 mL) chopped fresh or 1 tbsp (15 mL) dried dill weed
    2 tbsp (25 mL) lemon juice
    2 tbsp (25 mL) olive or vegetable oil
    1/8 tsp (0.5 mL) salt
    2 tbsp (25 mL) crumbled feta cheese

Method:

•In 2-quart saucepan, heat broth to boiling. Stir in couscous; remove from heat. Cover; let stand 5 minutes.
    •In large bowl, place tomatoes, cucumber, olives, onions and dill weed. Stir in couscous.
    •In small bowl, beat lemon juice, oil and salt with wire whisk until well blended; pour over vegetable mixture and toss. Cover; refrigerate 1 hour to blend flavours.
    •Just before serving, sprinkle with cheese.
  • gwengogreen1
    gwengogreen1 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    baked sweet potatoes, easy to make, low calorie, and lots of vitamin A
    at many local grocery stores you can buy frozen sweet potato fries you can cook :) less calories than normal french fries
    soup! you can never go wrong with soup! browse the Internet for some recipes! my favorites are cheddar broccoli, wild rice, and loaded baked potato soups.
    take some gluten free French bread, (less carbs, lower calories) and spread some sort of dip onto it, such as spinach dip, or low fat cheese spread. HUMMUS :D

and of course, salads :)

but... my all time favorite are KALE CHIPS OMG SO YUMMY
    they have tons of vitamins, are salty and soooo good! you can season them however you like. even little kids would love them!
    heres a recipe i used:
    http://whiteonricecouple.com/recipes/spicy-kale-chips/

i dont want to list recipes, because these are common foods you can find the recipe to anywhere :)
  • KarenPopoff
    KarenPopoff Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Bump . . . already some good recipies here!!
  • aremsing
    aremsing Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    bump
  • skinnierjeans
    skinnierjeans Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    skinnytaste.com is my favorite recipe blog on the internet. Here's a list to her "skinny summer sides" http://www.skinnytaste.com/2008/03/perfect-skinny-summer-sides.html
  • quill16
    quill16 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    2 cups of whatever is fresh veg at the market. Right now I.m eating from the garden....cukes, tomatoes , squash(zuchini),cabbage
  • juncture
    juncture Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend has recently introduced me to a really nice way of having carrots (and works with other stirfry style veg too) - ribbons of carrot stirfried with a bit of salt and soy sauce.

And tomorrow night we're going to have stuffed peppers with a bit of couscous and some tomatoes, but can put all sorts of veg or whatever in them :)
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    bumping for the awesome recipes posted by people in this thread already!

I usually steam something-- green beans or peas from the garden, carrots, zucchini, squash... If it is hot out, I toss veggies in balsamic vinegar, EVOO cooking spray, salt and pepper and grill them. Skewers are great, too, especially if you toss in some fruit for a sweet / savory combo.
  • vanillymilly
    Options
    fresh fruit in season, fresh fruit salad, some grapes, melon slices
  • Cullenbraille
    Cullenbraille Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Bump these are great ideas!
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Skinnytaste.com has some nice side dishes.

I usually go for a lot of steamed veggies. Majority of the time 3/4 of my plate is pure veggies.
  • Lauran845
    Lauran845 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I love sauteed broccoli slaw with a little butter and a ton of black pepper. Tastes like the inside of an egg roll. I also really like the cheese and broccoli steamers from Green Giant, or I make a low fat creamed spinach with frozen chopped spinach, a little fate free milk and grated parm cheese. SOOOOOOOO yummy!
  • butterflylover527
    butterflylover527 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    Here are some ideas that I plan to use soon:
    eggplant fries
    homemade baked potato chips
    salad
    homemade baked onion rings
    mashed cauliflower
    Parmesan Broccoli Bites, here's a link for that http://mompetent.wordpress.com/2012/08/18/parmesan-broccoli-bites-low-callow-carbgluten-free/

Hope that helps!!!
  • KimMesser319
    KimMesser319 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    @Lauran845: Yum! Do you have the recipe, or link, for the broccoli slaw? Love egg rolls!