logging bad days

Options

Replies

• mrsvatitagain
    mrsvatitagain Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    LOG IT!! Even if you are over 1,000 for the day LOG IT!! It really helps mentally grasp the bigger picture of where and why we are there and even more teaches us to overcome. If you can get bold enough to log it, you can get bold enough to correct it instead of dwelling on it letting it convince us that this will never work etc. LOG IT! Oh I said that already LOL
  • Kathy53925
    Kathy53925 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I haven't in the past and have been unsuccessful in the past.

It helps me keep my eye on the prize!

THIS for me! I am new, but tracking is really what I need. I don't like assuming I've eaten well enough to inhale a 1/2 gallon of ice cream for a snack. :noway:
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    For me, logging the bad days just makes me hold myself accountable and try harder the next day.

me too. I log everything.
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    It depends. When I go out for indian food I don't always log it because it's not a chain restaurant so it would be estimates anyway. If have a drink or a glass of wine, I will log it. But sometimes I just do not care to take the time. Counting calories is not my life, it's just a part of my life so I don't let it stress me out.
  • McFelix57
    McFelix57 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    When I lost 50 lbs I logged 99% of the time, even when it was bad, and I found that I actually had less bad the more I logged.

Now that I'm trying to lose 15 lbs of regained weight, I've discovered that I'm really bad on the weekends. I say "discovered" because at first I wasn't logging them, kind of giving myself a break, and then when I finally did I realized WOW that is bad enough to erase all the good I did this week!

So, yes, log your bad days. Don't beat yourself up about them, but learn the lesson, and you'll start to have less bad days.

This exactly. My weight started creeping back on when I stopped logging in every meal. So I recently got back on track and started using this site. (Originally I was using the LoseIt! app on my iPhone).
  • WhatAgirl_
    WhatAgirl_ Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    definatley log in the bad day! It will make you NOT to repeat it!
  • Sassy922
    Sassy922 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    The good
    The bad
    The ugly.

If it enters my mouth, I write it down. I've tried to ignore it in the past and my *kitten* can't hide from the calories, even if I hide them from my journal. So I made a deal with myself this time. Everything. No excuses.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    when you are having a day...and I mean not a great one, do you log your food? If so, does it make it better or worse?

I want everyone to see that I am just as human as THEY are....and make mistakes. I am happy to record the bad days as well as the good ones.
  • monette13
    monette13 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I log my bads days and then instead of feeling quilty of what I put in my mouth, I gather up my dogs and head out of the house for a walk, even if it is close to bed time.
    I love the fact that I feel accountable to something and MFP has definately helped me...
    Thanks to all my friends!
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I log them. It's like a cold blast of reality right in the face!!!!
  • raerae514
    raerae514 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Log everything, if you go over your day you can still be under for the WEEK!
  • rhonniema
    rhonniema Posts: 522
    Options
    Yep. No need to pretend like I didn't eat those 2 doughnuts.
    Just log it, keep it moving, & try to do better the next day.
  • Donnaakamagmid
    Donnaakamagmid Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. My friends will call me on it if I do it too often. I need that kick in the butt sometimes.
  • msmindylee
    msmindylee Posts: 61
    Options
    I've turned over a new leaf this time around and I'm logging it all. And what do you know - surprise! - when I've logged what I thought was a bad day, it often hasn't turned out to be all THAT bad anyway. And when it has, I can see exactly what it was that put me there, so I can be forewarned.

It seems to me that the log isn't really for anyone else's benefit except mine, why would I lie to myself by not logging? I'll joke about it but in the end, it doesn't serve me to omit anything.
  • kelsafish
    kelsafish Posts: 39
    Options
    I'm learning to log all my days. Sometimes I don't but it turns out to be a good thing to log even my bad days. I am way under my goals some days and eating extra a day or two a week helps me even out. Plus, as everyone else says, it holds me accountable.
  • Dawners98
    Dawners98 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I always log. If I eat it, it counts - even the ONE CASHEW I ate the other day counted. One cashew can be up to 10 cals, so I could pop 10 and not pay attention and end up with 100 unaccounted for calories! That's no ok, in my book. This journey is all about accountability, and every day is a new day. :)
  • Shell_7609
    Shell_7609 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    For me, logging the bad days just makes me hold myself accountable and try harder the next day.

I AGREE 100%

THIS
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    What's the point of logging if you don't do the bad ones too, you will get no where if you don't know what your total calories are that you are eating. Just try to log everything, and make up for stuff if you have too!
  • JackieT54
    JackieT54 Posts: 19
    Options
    I don't really look at it as accountability as much as I see it as a motivator!! It's the best teacher out there for you! When I see a person winning this lifechanging path, I go look at what they are eating to help me change and win! Without all these wonderful people its a struggle for me.. thanks all :)
  • bethfartman
    bethfartman Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I find that sometimes I feel like I have a horrible day, I go ahead and log it and find that it’s not as bad as I thought it was (I’m always thinking I’ve gone thousands of calories over, but it’s rarely over 500), so I feel better about it all and not as discouraged to get back on the wagon the next day. When I’d had failed calorie counting attempts in the past, I did not log bad days and I think it really affected my psyche feeling like a failure and wondering how much I had actually eaten. Just be honest with yourself, it will keep you on the right track.