having time to workout

Options
Im so envious of people who have all the time in the world to work out. I work form 730am-6:30pm and I really only have 1hour to work out if I want any sort of social life. Any advice? Should I try to wake up even earlier and get to the gym?

Robin

Replies

• Moriarty_697
    Moriarty_697 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    How many days a week do you work?
  • deep220
    deep220 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Hey Robin

I understand the workout dilemmia. I work 8-5 m-f with a 40 minute drive, then have classes after work 2-3 days a week until 8-9 and another 40 min drive home. I take powerwalks on my lunch breaks, get a a half an hour earlier in the morning to walk/jog or do a 20 minute circuit training. On off class days I hit up the gym for a quick workout/shower then meet friends afterward. If you like jogging invite a friend to go with you. That is how I got into wanting to run. A friend dragged me out the door with her. It's hard to make it work, but your friends will understand what you are doing is for your health and happiness. They will support you.
  • jenbroussard71
    jenbroussard71 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I wake up at 4:15 to run in intervals on the treadmill for an hour. Other then that the only other exercise I get during the work week is walking my three dogs (several times a day) or push mowing the grass when it needs it. On weekends I try to make up for it with a bike ride or two.
  • iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I get up at 4:30am most weekdays to go workout. There's hardly anyone there.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I'll play devils advocate - you don't have time to NOT workout. You will have more energy, more focus, get more done, and feel better in general IF you work out.

I have a very stressful job that I work 6-7 days a week and am here 10-13 hours a day. I still work out (currently marathon training), I have a husband, 2 kids, pets, a second "side" job, and... I almost always have time for my workout. Because... simply put... I make the time. I get up earlier, workout at lunch, stay up a littler later if I didn't get my workout in. Ya sometimes it's only 20 minutes of spinning my my living room, or tai chi before bed to relax me. I will add... I don't watch TV, if I'm not exercising. I fold clothes while getting ready for work, I make my breakfast to eat while getting ready or in the car on the way to work. I pack lunch ahead of time, so I can eat and workout at lunch too or eat at my desk at my office. Weekends, I get to catch up on what i missed, before heading back to work. My DH works relatively the same schedule, and my kids workout with me to have time to share. My long runs are on weekends, I get up way early to be able to still spend time with them. I'll be out the door by 4 tomorrow to run my 20 miles before work, my boss knows I may be a few minutes late because of my training, I'm lucky for that.

My point being, is it's all about priority, it's OK to be 30 minutes late for a social event or meeting a friend to get a workout in. Once you commit, you will feel better, and overall, will be nothing but positive feelings.
  • sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I have a full time job, 45 minute commute each way, a husband, and two young kids. I get up at 4am to exercise. At first it was a struggle to get up that early, but now it is just habit, and I actually like that time of the day....it's peaceful, and I suffer no guilt about time away from my family, because they are all still sleeping! If you want to work out, you have to make the time.
  • MizCJ84
    MizCJ84 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Personally, I've never met anyone who has all the time in the world to workout...except for the Biggest Loser contestants who eat, breath, and sleep exercise. I (like most people I know) have to work full-time and have children to take care of when I get home (single mom here). I make the time anyway. Time is just an excuse.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I leave my house at 7am and get home at 6pm. I work out almost every night as soon as a walk in the door...I'll pop in a DVD, set up my weights or immediately head out to the gym. I'm usually done by 8. I've tried to do it in the morning before work but I just keep hitting the snooze.
  • robharlan
    robharlan Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    It's not having the time, it's making the time!!
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    It's not having the time, it's making the time!!

couldn't have been said better! It sucks but you gotta do what you gotta do...
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    Prioritize.

Because I go to the gym after work my husband is understanding that on Tuesdays and Thursdays we don't eat dinner until 8pm.
    I go on my days off work in between running errands. I used to get up at 5 and go running but that was in a different neighbourhood, this neighbourhood is a little more sketchy so I can't do that anymore.
  • bonjourdiva
    Options
    I have a full time job, an 1hr 15 min commute each way, a home, husband and 4 kids. My husband and I work together creating a schedule in order for each of us to get that time we need to workout, go to the gym or fitness classes. It can be done.
  • RAWBMEOW
    RAWBMEOW Posts: 64
    Options
    Thanks for all the great support!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!