I'm 51 & starting today!! Want to step into my second child

terridingler
terridingler Posts: 4
edited September 20 in Introduce Yourself
Would love to share this journey with a few of you to keep me motivated! Can feel my age and don't like it! Little aches and pains I've never had! lol I have 50 LBS to loose!!! AGAIN!!! :ohwell:

Replies

• Good Luck on your journey. I will be 51 in April. In March I will have been here a year. I have lost 41 pounds. I slacked off for three months - due to lacking motivation - or I might be to goal weight now. Feel free to send me a message if you want to talk one on one,
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Would love to share this journey with a few of you to keep me motivated! Can feel my age and don't like it! Little aches and pains I've never had! lol I have 50 LBS to loose!!! AGAIN!!! :ohwell:

Hi Terri, and welcome to THE best site on the web! :flowerforyou:
    Between the easy to use food counter (which by the way is SUCH an eye opener!) and all the wonderfully supportive members, you WILL be able to lose the weight that you want to, AND, it'll "almost" be easy doing it! :wink:
    I recommend logging ALL your foods BEFORE you have them, rather than later, as it tends to lead to better food choices. (not to mention you'll know if you've got enough numbers left to have a night time snack, like I ALWAYS try to do!) Some people also like to weigh and measure some things, such as meats, rather than just estimating and possibly being WAY off! :noway:
    Don't go making the mistake that if you have LOTS of numbers left at the end of the day that you'll lose even faster, because that DOESN'T happen. Feel free to read any info about the site in the "help" section at the top of the home page. And also, under "all topics", then "general", and check out the first few threads. They'll really help you understand how MFP works. :smile:
    Before coming here, I had tried just about EVERYTHING out there, including hypnosis, TWICE, and nothing really worked until MFP! :love:
    Also, drink LOTS of water, it REALLY DOES help! :drinker:
    As far as exercise goes, it doesn't always have to be awful. For my exercise, I walk almost every day, (weather permitting!) I also dance to a fast oldies CD that my husband made up of all my favorite old songs. (Like "Love Shack", Wild, Wild West", "Mony, Mony", "Footloose", and "Gloria")
    It's free, (unlike a gym!) fun, and I can even watch tv at the same time, so I never get bored! :happy:
    I also have Wii Fit, and jog to that, which is a lot of fun, and easy too! :smile:
    So, to make a LONG story short, make good food choices, eat in moderation, get some exercise, and you WILL lose the weight that you want to! :smile:
  • Wow thanks ya'll. I will get up and get moving!!! Thanks for the replies!!! Blessings:flowerforyou:
  • joann
    joann Posts: 624 Member
    Im 51 also, been heavy all my live. Ive been on diets since I was 12. I have gone months where I say I dont care what I look like or what people think Im not gonna deprive myself of the food I love. Who was I hurting? Just myself. I have been on this site for almost a year and a half. I lost 51 pounds but then during the summer when I was not faithful keeping track of my calories I gained about 15 pounds back. Ive have been pretty good since Oct. and continue to strive to achieve my goal. If you need any help or just need to chat just send me a line. Good luck you will love this site. The people are fantastic and are all here to help. again good luck...
  • laura11248
    laura11248 Posts: 49 Member
    Congratulations on making this big decision! BrenNew gave you great advice! I just love this site!

Something I wanted to share was...I purchased a Walk Away the Pounds DVD. IT has worked like a charm. I was in a slump for the month of September...followed plan but was not loosing anything. I had just gone back to work...am a teacher...and the beginning of the school year is very stressful to say the least! I needed a way to move without leaving my home (2 little girls that I did not want to leave at home) and hubby works very lonnnnnnggg hours! This just got me back on track. I lost 8 pounds this past month!

So I guess my point is...if you hit a slump...change up your movement!
    Good Luck!
  • shanwow16
    shanwow16 Posts: 203 Member
    Good luck on your journey to weight loss, don't let your age defeat you!
    I have been on MFP for a little over a year now and it's the best website ever!! As long as you stick with it, be honest with yourself and work out regularly you'll be sure to see results.

My mom is 48 and is complaining about the aches and pains so I got her to join the gym and am working on getting her on here as well. Your only as old as you feel! :wink:
  • spinningmango
    spinningmango Posts: 197 Member
    welcome to mfp!

Good luck, I hope we can provide you with the support you need to reach your goals!
  • slightingscale
    slightingscale Posts: 1,209 Member
    :flowerforyou: Terri, I hope you had a good day today, and experienced some weight loss success. There is a 50+ support group in the motivation and support section, and lots of ongoing weight loss challenges you can join. In these mini groups, we set challenges, support each other, and make friends along the way. Some are tighter than others, and vary in their acceptance of new members. But most are quite accepting and won't ignore you. As most of everything in life, you'll get out of this site what you put into it. I wish you every success in your journey.:flowerforyou:
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Terri and Joann--

I hope you will visit the 50+Women's Thread mentioned in a prior post. To make it easier for you to locate us, here is a link to the most recent page of postings:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/69915-women-ages-50-for-november?page=8

We are a very open friendly group and we all learn from one another.
This discussion has been closed.