picky eaters

Options
ok.. i need help from all the other picky eaters out there. I love veggies (most of them) but hate fish. I am so sick of chicken, broccoli and salad that i fall off the wagon from the boredom. Any suggestions??

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I'm a fairly picky eater (no seafood for me!).

What about lean red meat, pork, turkey, black beans, etc? All are good sources of protein.

Check out skinnytaste.com for a lot of recipes that are healthier versions of old favorites.
  • mariaschlimper
    Options
    Love your words! Boredom is exactly what I experience in the last few weeks.. Even though I'm not picky at all, watching for my carbs and protein intake somehow limits my food choices. I feel like I'm eating quite the same stuff all the time.. It goes so far, that I feel nursea when I go over my fridge to prepare a meal. Just the thought of meat (which I love love love) makes me feel sick. Same with other products I'm eating. It's getting hard for me to eat 1200 calories a day. And I start cheating "backwards" - logging in food and calories I'm not eating.. Heeelp!!
  • thefreebiemom
    thefreebiemom Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    A nice good roast (beef or pork) in the slow cooker. I am super picky. I eat everything plain. I have been cutting the fat off of all of my meat since I was a kid because it was just chewy and disgusting. The only topping on pizza I eat is pepperoni. I won't eat ham or turkey lunch meat but I will eat "real" ham or turkey lol. I don't like fancy stuff either, so 90% of the many cook books I have are useless they always have some fancy add on or ingredients in the sauce that I don't want to mess with. I take meat, put in slow cooker add a little water and seasoning and then cook. Done, I don't like carrots but hubby does so I put those in there sometimes too to cook towards the end.

But basically, sorry about all the rambling, beef and pork are okay too as long as you get lean cuts or cut the fat out. Unless you are a vegetarian in which case I have no idea how to help because there are only 3 veggies I eat and 2 are technically starches.

You could try turkey. Ground turkey or just buy a turkey breast to cook and you can use it for different meals.
  • JudyL5305
    JudyL5305 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I am an enormous picky eater for things I don't like. Now on top of it I am pickier (if that's possible) because I won't eat anything unhealthy unless I really really want it. (rarely) Anyway. I don't like chicken so I can't help there and unfortunately I feat tons of fish, but what about turkey meat, (turkey hamburgers, meatloaf, sausage, same goes for chicken or lean cuts of beef.) There is pork, and veal I don't eat those either. But you love veggies (like me) what about Spaghetti squash you could use that in place of spaghetti or eggplant i have used that in place of pizza bread and lasagna noodles. I started years ago on South Beach and that opened me up to alot of things.But I also like some of the suggestions above!
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I am by no means a picky eater but if you like all sorts of vegetables, why limit yourself to salads and broccoli? use the internet for inspiration!

Vegetarian recipes:
    http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipe/

Low cal recipes:
    skinnytaste.com

500 calorie dinners:
    http://www.eatingwell.com/nutrition_health/weight_loss_diet_plans/diet_meal_plans/eatingwell_s_500_calorie_dinners

Kid friendly recipes:
    http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes_menus/recipe_slideshows/healthy_kids_dinner_recipes

20 minute dinners:
    http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes_menus/recipe_slideshows/20_minute_dinner_recipes
  • chaz2612
    chaz2612 Posts: 3
    Options
    im the fussiest eater i know i dont like any veg apart from sweetcorn, minimal fruit, cant eat poultry or fish, ive recently starting eating quorn you can have quorn sausages, quorn burgers, quorn steak, quorn mince, quorn chilli con carne even quorn ready meals and they are usually about 75% less fat than normal dinners, if you find anything besides quorn let me know lol
  • alexis831
    alexis831 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    1. Egg white burrito, ham, fat free cheese, low cal tortilla, and salsa. 200 cal's depending on how you stack it.
    2. Ham sandwich with fat free cheese. 225 calories
    3. Tuna melt with fat free mayo and fat free cheese relish if you want. 250 calories or under depending on how you stack it.
    4. Beef 93% lean with rice and corn combo, season it how you like.
    5. Spaghetti with meat sauce and healthy pasta
    6. Fried egg (or just egg white) with cheese on white bread under 225 (only 185 with egg white only)
    7. any smart ones meals when you get board
    8. Subway ham or turkey subs all under 300 cal’s and they are big!
  • suzieqcookie
    suzieqcookie Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    WOW!! thank you everybody!! I do eat some beef and pork, but limit it. I am not a fan of ground turkey, but the price of it doesn't exactly give me incentive to push the issue. I never thought about adding more beans so that was an AWESOME suggestion, and i plan to try out some of the vegetable suggestions as well :)
  • miss_september
    Options
    Nobody mentioned ground pork...it isn't the easiest meat to find around my place, but most butcher shops should have something (and I am *not* talking about pork sausage...just unseasoned, plain ground pork).
  • sunshine_gem
    sunshine_gem Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    im the fussiest eater i know i dont like any veg apart from sweetcorn, minimal fruit, cant eat poultry or fish, ive recently starting eating quorn you can have quorn sausages, quorn burgers, quorn steak, quorn mince, quorn chilli con carne even quorn ready meals and they are usually about 75% less fat than normal dinners, if you find anything besides quorn let me know lol

I would agree with this. Quorn in itself doesn't really taste of anything, but it depends what you put it with. I use it for shepherds pie and spaghetti bolognese (or whatever sauce you prefer). I put a bit of cayenne pepper in the shepherds pie to give it a bit of a kick too. With the spaghetti sauce you can put whatever you want in. Add as many vegetables as you like and then maybe a tomato based sauce. This bulks it out so you eat less pasta. I also make it in bulk and freeze some in portion sizes, so you don't have the hassle of making it all the time. Also have you tried soup? You can make some good homemade soups (so you know exactly what's going into it) and freeze them too. I'm a picky eater too so I'm trying to broaden my horizons so I don't get bored. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't!
  • misslou7
    misslou7 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Continuing on the Quorn theme, suggest a quick and easy noodle stir fry - could inc Quorn, onions, peppers, baby sweet corn, mange tout..
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Jenno turkey burgers, lean cusin pizza or weight watcher penne pasta with meat balls and cheese yummy
  • korygilliam
    korygilliam Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Pick whatever protein you feel like having (and maybe a couple other ingredients you want to use) and search for recipes on sites like allrecipes.com and supercook.com.
  • gonnabethinandfit
    gonnabethinandfit Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm a pescetarian, so for my protein intake I live off of fish though I'm not that big of a fan either, except for tuna and lobster etc (are you sure you don't like it? maybe try a new recipe! shellfish?), egg whites, and protein powder! I drink protein shakes all the time.. I don't drink milk so I usually just mix it up with water and I enjoy it.. mint chocolate chip flavour and 90 calories, 16g of protein in 1 scoop.. mmmm. You can add it to smoothies, baking, whatever! And egg whites are only about 17 calories each and around 6g of protein each, so fry up as many as you want with some cheese. Protein is a bit of a struggle for me too with my diet philosophy, and on top of that I'm on a low-carb diet. I try to be as vegan/vegetarian as possible but there are things that just need cheese, and I'm working on giving up fish and getting protein from other sources. Just try to have a bunch of egg whites and dairy and as many protein shakes as you want and you should be fairly good. Assuming you were asking for new protein sources... if not, sorry for rambling on! As for veggies, there are SO many different, foreign, and delicious kinds that you might not know exist.. and the internet is full of recipes for everything. Try a baked cauliflower recipe, or go buy some shirataki noodles! And you should try to get lots of spinach in your diet, because I believe the kind I buy has 6g of protein and like 15 calories per half cup. So I usually chop some up and toss it into my egg whites aside from the many spinach salads I eat, can't even tell it's there. I'm also hoping to try a green smoothie with it soon.. probably gonna throw some protein powder in there, maybe even raw egg whites! be adventurous! :)