Question about the "daily goals"

Options
I'm new on here so I'm just trying to understand a few things. The "daily goals" that are set..am I supposed to get close to all of those those daily or is it ok of I'm off on some? I'm getting closer to my calorie intake.. but then the carbs, fat..etc..I fall short on. Does it matter? Thank you!

Replies

• WendyA1119
    WendyA1119 Posts: 53
    Options
    I try to stay within my calorie goals. I don't pay too much attention to the specifics. WHat matters is that you are not over eating or under eating in my opinion.
  • AwesomelyAmber
    AwesomelyAmber Posts: 1,617 Member
    Options
    I second that... I pay attention to calories and everything else is what it is. I know many watch the sugars and what not, but it's not my concern for myself.
  • tugers2
    tugers2 Posts: 139
    Options
    doesnt really matter until u get to ur goal weight... if u go over than, u'll gain weight
  • coraliethomas
    coraliethomas Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    First learn how to stay within your calorie allowence, and then work on the Macros. Thats how I figured it out!
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Get as close as you can; it's not an absolute - just a general guideline.
    Have fun and enjoy the process.
    Good luck:flowerforyou:
  • sl1ngsh0t
    sl1ngsh0t Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I think the MFP default settting for sodium is too high whereas the sugar setting is too low.
  • denisebme
    denisebme Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I watch Calories, Carbs, and Cholesterol. The carbs and calories for obvious reasons, the cholesterol because mine is high, and I would like to bring it down without drugs.
    I've also noticed that if I stay within the goals for sodium intake, I don't retain as much water. I'm not even joking when I say that I lost 6 lbs my first week, a lot of that was fluid from to much sodium in my diet.
  • kvissy
    kvissy Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I would just watch to go over on calories (depending on how you much you worked out that day) and carbs. If my protein is high I'm never worried. If my fat is high I would only be worried if my calorie and carb count are high as well.
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I watch calories and sodium because the sodium can make you bloat so I try hard not to overdo the sodium
  • kittyfrost
    kittyfrost Posts: 54
    Options
    For weightloss it's just the calories :) It's okay to go over your target by 100-200 and try not to fall too low beneath it either. Good luck!
  • Nikkislim32
    Nikkislim32 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    First learn how to stay within your calorie allowence, and then work on the Macros. Thats how I figured it out!

This is what I did. I watch Carbs, protein, fat, sodium and iron (borderline anemic). I used to care about sugar, but I find that if I am way over on my salt, it stall weight loss for me.
  • BSchoberg
    BSchoberg Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Watch your calories first - the rest will follow. You can also customize what you track.
  • realredhead79
    realredhead79 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    You should watch your sodium too. Too much sodium will wear on your kidneys and heart. America eats entirely too much sodium. MFP sodium range IS way over what it should be.
  • AlphamaleBAMF
    Options
    I don't even get close to half those goals.

MFP wants me to eat 400+ carbs a day and a ridiculous amount of fat. And hardly any protein.
  • EEpling89
    EEpling89 Posts: 152
    Options
    It honestly does not matter, as long as you're staying within your calorie goals. Weight loss is 100% calories in versus calories out. However, I try to keep an eye on carbs, protein, and fat because the protein to carb ratio that you're eating has a lot to do with how full you feel and for how long. If my carbs are too high and protein is too low, I end up binging at night.

As for sodium and sugar, I'm ALWAYS over on both and I'm still losing. Healthy, no. But important for weight loss, no.
  • EEpling89
    EEpling89 Posts: 152
    Options
    I second that... I pay attention to calories and everything else is what it is. I know many watch the sugars and what not, but it's not my concern for myself.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I get lectures on MFP on the daily lol.
  • Jendusi
    Jendusi Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I actually customized my goals because the carb intake is high. A good balance is 40% protein 30%carbs 30%fat
  • jennebe1
    jennebe1 Posts: 5
    Options
    Thank you all..so very much!!! :-) I think I'm gonna love this site! Everyone is so helpful!!