What if you HATE veggies?

Options
124»

Replies

• susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    I don't hate Vegans...they are great with some fava beans and a nice chianti. Wait...what?.....OH VEGGIES! My bad.

Cows are vegans, and they're delicious! :)

Thanks for the advice. I do like sweet potatoes, but not without brown sugar, nutmeg, and cinnamon. I tried the cauliflower mash and I had the same reaction. It's definitely a mind over matter thing. Zucchini chips sound good...

C, you can always try gradually decreasing the brown sugar. The nutmeg and cinnamon are fine for you anyway.

You don't have to do everything at once.
  • DivineRED1
    DivineRED1 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Hummus helps.
  • DivineRED1
    DivineRED1 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big fan of veggies either. If I make a salad, I cut up off the tops of the broccoli and the cauliflower and then cut the tops into really small pieces. I cut red/yellow peppers really small too. Then I add the stuff I like, like carrots, cucumbers, celery and BEETS (love beets), hard boiled egg or beans to mask the taste of the other stuff. A tasty dressing helps like Basalmic Vinegar/Olive Oil. If you make your salad into a chopped salad, where everything including the lettuce is cut up really small, you can eat it all with a spoon. That helps, b/c it's no real concentration on one flavor.

Eat the ones you do like and try to add in a new one.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    try putting the veggies in things. i don't care for peas but i'll eat them mixed in with white beans and garlic. add super fine grated carrots to tomato sauce - you'll never know it's there. try steamed green beans with lots of garlic and onions. try roasting brussel sprouts - i know i know gross but they're amazing roasted.
  • happymiche
    happymiche Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I'd try smoothies with added spinach or kale...you WON'T taste the veggies at all, and you'll get all the health benefits of them! Also, experiment with your veggies--you might surprise yourself...have you tried grilling veggies? Asparagus and zucchini are quite tasty on the grill. Just marinade in a little olive oil and minced garlic.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    You eat them anyway.
    If I handed you a jar of roaches to eat, which roach do you choose first?
    ANSWER: The biggest roach. Why? After eating the biggest first, the rest won't seem so bad.
    Load up that plate; eat the veggies first.
    I also juice just to get it over with fast.
  • iron_jj
    iron_jj Posts: 446 Member
    Options

This! All day everyday!

I used to be a veggie hater, now I eat pretty much all of them. Just force yourself to eat them and eventually you'll love them, worked for me.

My boyfriend hates all kinda veggies but I ninja them in the food and he never notices. Just a few examples..
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/09/low-fat-baked-ziti-with-spinach.html
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/05/turkey-burgers-with-zucchini.html
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Try this recipe on (c'mon, be brave!) it's amazing. I always have the husby make 2 pans worth at Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter. 1 pan is for he & any guests. The other pan is MINE! *hordes*
    To me it tastes like a candy bar!
    The recipe is from Everyday Paleo.

Roasted Root Veggies
    5 small beets, peeled & quartered
    2 parsnips, halved & cut into 1 inch chunks
    2 carrots, cut into 1 inch rounds
    1 red onion, halved & thickly sliced
    1 bulb garlic, cloves removed and peeled
    1/4c coconut oil (not LouAnna. Get some spectrum, nutiva, or Tropical Traditions)
    1c fresh basil, diced
    1/2 tsp lemon zest (grated lemon peel)
    sea salt to taste

preheat oven to 400F
    in large mixing bowl, toss all veggies together, including garlic cloves, with coconut oil, basil, zest, and salt
    roast for 45-50 mins, stirring occasionally throughout the process

I promise it's worth the work!
  • sundaywishes
    sundaywishes Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I am definitely not a veggie lover but there are veggies that I like. And I'll stick to "actual" veggies as well as "culinary" vegetables (technically fruits but when considered veggies by culinary standards). Like others have said, you may like vegetables prepared a certain way and hate them another. With me, I can't stand cooked carrots, tomatoes or peppers, but I love them raw. Try the same veggie prepared in different ways.

Also, I HATED green beans. The smell emitted from them cooking whether on the stove out of a can (bad, I know) or frozen ones steaming in the microwave would turn my stomach. After I tried them tossed with some extra virgin olive oil and some grated parmesean cheese, I was a convert. Now I don't even use the olive oil. Actually I think I used it twice and then decided to see how they tasted with just the cheese. I was so surprised to see myself eating them. I also found out my love of sugar snap peas.

***If you read anything in my post, please read this:***
    I think the best tip is to find out how much you need of what nutrients...vitamins, minerals, etc. Then, see what foods contain good amounts of said nutrients. And eat the ones you like. For example, broccoli isn't the only thing you can eat to get a specific nutrient it contains. There are other options, you just need to do a little research. Just like if you hate bread, get your whole grains from oatmeal, different kinds of pasta, etc. Vegetables aren't the end all, be all. Just find comprable substitutions.

It'd be great if you did start eating them, though :wink: