Planet Fitness Yay or Nay?

Options
13»

Replies

• KiltFuPanda
    KiltFuPanda Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for treadmills, ellipticals, and weight machines, it's just fine.

If you're looking for free weights, a place to lift heavy, or a personal trainer, I'd look elsewhere.

I'm surprised I wasn't kicked out myself - I wouldn't grunt or anything, but having 400-500 lbs on the smith machine for squats and 800 lbs on the incline leg press got me some strange looks. Same thing when I asked for a spotter. They also only keep maybe 2 or 4 45-lb plates at each machine, so I would have to borrow from 3 other stations to get a workout. The largest dumbbells are either 65 or 70 (don't remember), so I couldn't get a good pull doing bent-over rows.

If you can get away with a good workout without deadlifts, free weight squats, and don't need a lot of weight to do so, then it may be an option.
  • xMonroeMisfit
    xMonroeMisfit Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Nay.

Too many cardio machines, not enough of anything else.

Cant lift or they will boot you..
  • Geeky_Girl
    Geeky_Girl Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I belong to PF and I like it. Like everyone else has said, it's generic. Mine is pretty much judgment free; they have a lunk alarm, but lots of people are there lifting weights and the alarm never goes off. It's casual and no one bothers anyone else. I like to go and workout on the elliptical or do the 30 minute circuit and just leave it at that.

I belonged to Gold's before this. It definitely offers more (mine had a cardio cinema, a ladies only room, rock climbing wall, courts for everything, nail salon, classes [spinning was awesome!] etc.) but it was awful trying to get them to cancel my membership (even after I got past the required 12 months). Gold's was about $50/month and you signed a contract. PF doesn't have a contract (as far as I know).

So, all in all, it depends on what you need. If you want classes and some structure, more equipment and amenities, you'll want a more expensive gym. If you want an elliptical machine to use without actually having to shell out a couple thousand dollars, PF is great. :) Happy working out!

Edit: I have to add that I go to PF because it's cheap and I can cancel quickly with no contract. I think it's inspiring to see people lifting weights. Some bodies are just perfect machines!!
  • xMonroeMisfit
    xMonroeMisfit Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    OH and another thing about all this "weight lifters intimidate" i personally find someone pushing big weight motivating

:indifferent: but thats just me
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    One other nice things is the juiceheads tend to stay away - you dont see many steroid monsters. You do however have to deal with TONS of high school kids since its so cheap - you end up dealing with the wrestling kids trying to shed water weight, and the young school kids making it a hangout.
    Well that's because they are "judgmental" against juiceheads and muscle heads. Just look at there ads on youtube.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • mogriff1
    mogriff1 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I was a member of Planet Fitness in NJ....and although the price was right, I just could not get motivated there. So after 2 yrs of wasting my money I closed my account and joined LA fitness which I LOVE! I needed variety, I love classes (Spin, Zumba, Latin Heat Dance, Step Aerobics, Pilates, Cardio Kickoxing, Aqua Aerobics, etc) in addition to the cardio machines and weights. Planet Fitness just doesnt have that. So for me, I got nowhere and I was bored...so I didnt really go.

Once I joined LA fitness, I lost the 18 pounds I needed to reach my goal in 4 months, so it was a win-win!
  • Anaconda62
    Anaconda62 Posts: 181
    Options
    I like it. It's basic. There are plenty of fairly muscular guys at the one I go to. Plus, it's not REALLY a pizza party. They just have it available should you want it. I have never eaten it and don't feel compelled to.
  • enchantedeskape
    Options
    FWIW, I really like PF. I just re-upped my membership with them.

Mine is clean, has tons of equipment (their weight area is as big as the cardio area), offers free physical trainers, and I *Love* the express workout area.

PF is a good fit for me b/c I don't really care for classes or the pool. My kids are now old enough they stay home, so I don't need a gym with a daycare. Also, for $10/month, I don't feel guilty when I decide to run outside instead of using the gym.

If you:
    Want a pool
    Want classes
    Need daycare

Then PF isn't a good fit for you.

Also, the pizza night (at mine anyway) is only once a month, and they don't force it on you. If you can't walk into a building w/pizza in it without controlling yourself...then you have a bigger problem than PF offering pizza once a month. Don't blame the gym on "keeping people fat".

*Keep in mind that the Black card membership does have a contract.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    What part of the world are you all living in where you can't do squats, dead lifts, heavy lifting etc. at Planet Fitness? My husband and I go there. We do squats and dead lifts. I lift very heavy -250# my personal best on squats -- and I never got told to leave. I have never been "forced" to use the weight machines. Yes the free weights only go up to 60#'s but chances are good I won't need more. Also there are some very fit, muscle guys at my gym, some are more than likely juicers. They seem to like it and they don't get kicked out either. They have the Lunk Alarm which they don't like to use but will when someone is being obnoxious like this one guy who sounds like he's having an orgasm while he's squatting his 50 lbs.

As far as the equipment goes since they are independently owned franchises it depends on the gym and what they have. I know that some of the gyms in other towns have barbells and squat racks but mine doesn't.

It's an affordable gym, I get to go as a guest for free and it suits my needs. My husband went to a meat head gym and didn't use half the equipment there. This works better for us.

To each their own. I say if you want an affordable gym then go there. It's perfectly fine.
  • epcorne
    epcorne Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I <3 PF!

My boyfriend and I go almost every morning to either lift weights or do cardio. It is not crowded in the mornings and no one tells us we CAN'T do anything.

As far as the bagels and pizza go, I don't think it is a problem. You are supposed to "cheat" now and again. Spike days boost metabolism and satisfy cravings. Turn it down if you don't want it, but don't be rude about it!
  • Easywider
    Easywider Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    It used to be an outstanding value (the one around me that is) until they watered the fundamentals of a gym down and replaced it with some sort of...passive, restrictive, 'judgement free' rubbish.

They stripped all the free weights and hammer strength machines for more cable driven equipment. Then that air raid siren of an alarm? Really?
  • Darrell916
    Darrell916 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    The Planet Fitness near me I am not a fan of. Like everyone said there are no trainers and no classes. Me and my wife signed up when they opened here and got the black membership so we can both take a guest but what they didn't tell us at the beginning is that there was no child care and not a big fan of a gym that serves pizza on certain nights.
  • morninglilli
    morninglilli Posts: 194
    Options
    I really like PF. I have been working out at my local PF for a few months now, and feel very welcome, and have never felt judged, or disapproved of for lifting weights. If anything every once in a while I will have a trainer encourage me! :)
    If you are doing some serious weight training I can see why it wouldnt be the place for you, but I am beginning New rules of lifting for women, and I can do all of the training layout at the PF here.
    I like that there arent a lot of frills to preoccupy me. I get in, get it done, and get out!
  • mcw1976
    mcw1976 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have been a member of Planet Fitness (Chicago Area) for about 6 months now. For what I need it is a great gym. I have lost almost 60 pounds so far between the weight training and cardio. To change things up, I alternate between regular weight training and the 30 minute workout. The staff is friendly and helpful. As far as the pizza and bagels go, I think it's OK.