De-motivated by the doctor!

Options
I have been working so hard, and since early last fall I've lost 43 lbs. Not to toot my own horn, but I think that's darn good. However I went to the doctor, and she acts like I'm fat and lazy, and is just completely condescending. Then she gets my blood work, and it backs up my claim that I'm actually trying to diet and watch what I eat (cholesterol has improved, blood glucose looks really good, and I even have a slightly elevated level of ketones in my urine to indicate that I'm burning fat instead of just glucose), and she just says well that's good, but you still need to work harder to loose the weight! I walked out of there crushed, like all of my hard work is for nothing. I know I shouldn't let her get to me since I'm doing this for me, not for her, but it just really bothers me.

Replies

• kalynn06
    kalynn06 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Try not to let it bother you (easier said than done). You are doing great, and she probably knows it. Many doctors just aren't the warm/ fuzzy type and sometimes clinical language and attitudes come off as cold and disapproving. She probably thinks she's being motivating by telling you to keep doing it and that you're not there yet and is afraid you'll stop and think you're done if she's too positive. Getting an M.D. doesn't make you a good communicator (sometimes it makes you a worse one). You are doing an awesome job and your blood work and progress so far prove it.
  • BostonMatt
    BostonMatt Posts: 258
    Options
    Find a new doctor.
  • LynC33
    LynC33 Posts: 196
    Options
    I have been working so hard, and since early last fall I've lost 43 lbs. Not to toot my own horn, but I think that's darn good. However I went to the doctor, and she acts like I'm fat and lazy, and is just completely condescending. Then she gets my blood work, and it backs up my claim that I'm actually trying to diet and watch what I eat (cholesterol has improved, blood glucose looks really good, and I even have a slightly elevated level of ketones in my urine to indicate that I'm burning fat instead of just glucose), and she just says well that's good, but you still need to work harder to loose the weight! I walked out of there crushed, like all of my hard work is for nothing. I know I shouldn't let her get to me since I'm doing this for me, not for her, but it just really bothers me.

Your doc sounds like an idiot. Slow and steady wins the race.....obviously what you are doing is working, so keep at it. If you lose weight too quickly you will put it all back on just as fast. Well done on your weightloss. If that doc says anything derogatory again, I would definately say something to put them back in their place, then walk out and find a new doctor who will motivate and encourage you.
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Find a new doctor.

This!! Doctors sometime forget that that we are their customers, not their subjects. They are providing a service, they should do it with a bit of decency... just like the person making my coffee:)
  • noelkm67
    noelkm67 Posts: 118
    Options
    Find a new doctor. Stat!
  • Pimpmonkey
    Pimpmonkey Posts: 566
    Options
    Find a new doctor.

This!! Doctors sometime forget that that we are their customers, not their subjects. They are providing a service, they should do it with a bit of decency... just like the person making my coffee:)

Exactly!!!
  • Fitfortat
    Fitfortat Posts: 47
    Options
    I'm with those guys ^^ Get a new frigging doctor. As hard as you've worked noone needs to make you feel that way! Move on to someone who hasn't lost there reason for becoming a doctor under their Mercedes tires! Raaaawwwrrr LOL
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Screw her. You lost the equivalent of an elementary school-aged child. Find a new doc. And cheers to 43 lbs. lost!:drinker:
  • itsgood
    itsgood Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Don't you dare stop what you are doing...you have taken the steps to reclaim your health, and no-one gets to take that joy from you. Your doctor needs replacing...and a little feedback wouldn't hurt. Just don't know what's wrong with some people...
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I agree with some of the others, find a new Dr.
  • Katbaran
    Katbaran Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Fire your doctor! Change your primary care provider and then write her a nice, polite letter and tell her why you dropped her. Tell her you and everyone else deserves to be treated with dignity and respect. Sometimes doctors seem to forget this. Let her feel it in her pocketbook, as in no more revenue from you!

Seriously, get a new doc. Your doc should be cheering for you, not beating you down and making you feel bad.
  • kathygenuardi
    kathygenuardi Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I agree - find a new doctor. My doc has always told me a little means alot. I have 20 pounds to goal, lost 13 and am no longer on BP meds. A little means ALOT!
  • CannibalisticVegetarian
    CannibalisticVegetarian Posts: 1,255 Member
    Options
    Don't let it bother you. I can't explain just why it is that doctors these days are so cold towards their patients these days, but trust me when I say that you are doing an amazing job! Don't worry about that quack. Just continue your journey and show him or her that you're really striving for success!

Oooooor just get a new doctor. Either one of these. ^__^
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna go with the crowd on this one. Get a new doctor. =(
  • lsjd2000
    lsjd2000 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I would agree with the others find a new doctor - your doctor should be supportive esp if you are showing that you are working hard to lose weight.
  • Wonderwoman2677
    Wonderwoman2677 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    That's terrible! You are doing great work. Find a new Dr with a decent bed side manner.
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I would find a new doctor. There is no need for her to be rude. She should be supportive and make you feel comfortable.
  • KarenAnnne
    KarenAnnne Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    You are paying her to treat you like that? Find a new doctor NOW! You deserve better.
  • Barbellsandthimbles
    Barbellsandthimbles Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Fire her...40+lbs is nothing to ridicule. You just keep doing what you're doing and find another doctor that seems to truly care about their patients.
  • SusanMcAvoy
    SusanMcAvoy Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    What a jerk!! Pay no attention to what she said. You are doing fabulous. 43 pounds is hard to lose. You are doing great!!! :bigsmile: Congratulations