I'm cutting out bread.. What to do about sandwiches?

Options

Replies

• galilanee26
    galilanee26 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Large romaine leaves work well as a lettuce wrap.
  • Sinisi2012
    Sinisi2012 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    What kind is 35 calories?

Good question - I stopped eating wraps - the whole wheat ones I had were 200 each

Not sure about the 35 calorie bread, I'd love to know too. But I use Ole Extreme Wellness - High Fiber Low Carb Tortilla Wraps they are only 71 calories and delicious. I also use rice cakes or apples for my peanut butter
  • ajhr
    ajhr Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I'm coeliac, and while I do still have GF bread on occasion, it's not a big part of my diet. Lunches for me are usually similar to what I'd have for dinner (in fact, lunch is often leftovers from the night before!)

If you have access to a microwave, then I'd suggest anything that's easy to make extra servings of (stews, casseroles, soups, pasta dishes, chilli, etc) as you can pack it into individual containers to grab and go.
    If not, get creative with salads (today I'm having green apple, spinach, walnut and blue cheese) - there's no need to feel as though you're stuck with plain lettuce and carrots. If you've got some leftover beef from last nights dinner, throw it in for a protein hit.

There are a lot of meals that are good cold, many of which use grains so you'll still get the starchiness you'd have from eating bread. Think pasta, rice, and/or bean salads.

My husband often adds a small tin of tuna to a serve of cous cous (just add hot water, apparently?!) and that satisfies him.

Edited to add: BAKED POTATO! Just don't go crazy with cheese or sour cream. Throw some chilli, coleslaw or dahl on it - YUM
  • Sinisi2012
    Sinisi2012 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I use a low carb, high fiber, high protein tortilla as a wrap for lunch every day. Most of my friends on here have trouble finding it, but it is Ole Xtreme wellness, high fiber low carb tortilla wrap. They are yummy!

Yes I just found them and love them!!
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I use a low carb, high fiber, high protein tortilla as a wrap for lunch every day. Most of my friends on here have trouble finding it, but it is Ole Xtreme wellness, high fiber low carb tortilla wrap. They are yummy!

you'll have to do a little "research" at the grocery to find out exactly what you like, but I have found several low carb/high fiber tortillas at the local stores. I have ONE just about every morning with 2 eggs and 4 slices of soy bacon. Its just enough carbs/fiber to keep me full, but not enough to mess with my macros. No reason why you couldn't do yours for lunch...
  • bmuff
    bmuff Posts: 64
    Options
    aunt millies healthy goodness light whole wheat bread-40 cal a slice
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    For lunches: I love to pack my yougurt sunday. Tupperware container, fruit (blueberries, raspberries...) topped w greek yogurt, then in a snack bag, I bring granola to sprinkle on top.
    Also yummy is bringing sliced cheese / mixed tuna or salmon, avocado, slice cucumbers, and I eat with GF crackers or thin corn cakes.
    I cook for left overs. Today I had salmon cakes with cold new potatoes, very yummy even cold.
    I can't remember, what else but I am gluten free and my diary is open.

Oh, I read this on another thread and it is worth googling: "Cloud Bread"
  • zoegator
    zoegator Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Zoe and I'm a bread-aholic.
    I'm loving these suggestions! I'm going to give the bell pepper idea a shot!
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    I gave bread up except on free day and missed it terrible for about 8 weeks, then the urges vanished.
    It's just not much a part of my diet, and before?
    I ate bread every meal.
  • mdcjmom
    mdcjmom Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    What about lettuce wraps they are so good!
  • Romans624
    Romans624 Posts: 822
    Options
    All this reading about bread is making me hungry! The tortilla 80 calorie thing sounds like a good option, or the open faced sandwich. Not sure if one grain a day (one slice of whole grain) would push you into cravings for more bread, but its something I will consider doing for sure.
  • AZDizzy
    AZDizzy Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I do lettuce wraps quite a bit and am digging the pepper idea.

I do have to have a pbj every once in a while, so I use that sara lee 45 calorie multi-grain bread.
  • Emili03
    Emili03 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    What kind is 35 calories?

Good question - I stopped eating wraps - the whole wheat ones I had were 200 each

Idk but SaraLee has a 100% Multi-grain Bread 45 cals and delightful! If you ask me, it's very good.
  • sherryk5133
    sherryk5133 Posts: 106
    Options
    If you still would like to have bread, try the Sara Lee 45 and Delightful Wheat Bread w/ Honey, its really good with 1/2 the calories & carbs!! :happy:
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Try pure wraps, they're pretty tasty.
    http://improveat.com/whatoffer.php

also lettuce wraps
  • Jezebel9
    Jezebel9 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I am gluten sensitive- so I had to quit most forms of bread. The sandwich can always become a salad... just put it in a bowl... some nice rice or nut crackers gives some crunch to it all and that helps.
    good luck
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Huge plate of salad - with a decent helping of protein (100g chicken or steak) 2 eggs, can of tuna etc
  • LatinaGordita
    LatinaGordita Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I have really cut down on bread too!! It's hard to replace the convenience of a sandwich to throw in your lunch. I now use large romaine lettuce leaves and stuff them with anything I would normally put in a sandwich.

You could also use a wrap (Joseph's is a great brand) or whole wheat high fiber tortilla if you're not totally throwing out bread products - they have fewer carbs and calories than bread.

THIS! I love Josephs Pita bread, it is only 60 cals, 8 grams of carbs 6 of protein, and 4 grams of fiber. It is awesome. I buy it at BJ;s but they sell directly online too!

Ham and cheese is great with egg whites. Omelets are not just for breakfast :D
  • willnorton
    willnorton Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    maybe someone hasnt given this one....

Julian Bakery has 1 carb and actually 0 carb bread...

I use Hungry Girl Flatout Foldit Bread....whole grain with flax...it has 8 net grams of carbs and it is a 2 sided sandwich bread thing..its good....grilled or toasted

try it you will like it...
  • Esther50
    Esther50 Posts: 252
    Options
    Ton of great ideas here. I am going looking for the low 35-50 calorie breads. Great topic, love it. This is what keeps me motivated!!