I'm cutting out bread.. What to do about sandwiches?

Options

Replies

• indyang77
    indyang77 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Brownberry Bread 8 grain Thin Pockets. They are 100 calories, 20 carbs, 5g fiber, so only 15 net carbs and AHHHMAAAZING. You can even slice them in half and use them to make mini veggie pizzas.
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    My fiance and I have decided to cut out bread because the two of us can almost clear 2 loaves in a week! We've decided it has too many carbohydrates and we often have 4 pieces of buttered toast as a snack. (Yes, I know, not good!)

My question is.. I can deal with not having bread with dinner anymore.. but what about for lunch when I would usually have a grilled turkey bacon and cheese sandwich.. or turkey sandwich? My fiance usually has peanut butter and jelly or hot ham and cheese.

Anyone have any ideas on what to replace these with?

*Wanting genuine people to help, not tell me I should have cut it out sooner or w/e

lettuce will work except for the PB&J, for the ham and cheese heat ham and cheese then place in lettuce:bigsmile:
  • darrcn5
    darrcn5 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I LOVE tomatoes, so I use two slices of tomato as a bun.
  • AndreaDonofrio
    AndreaDonofrio Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    lettuce... put meat/cheese on leafs of lettuce and roll. Doesn't help with pb&J but helps. For pb&j you could use rice cakes or those pop thingy's from Wegmans... I think Costco has a version now too.
  • mzfiyaa
    mzfiyaa Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    i luv wraps or even those pita breads or nice
  • Mustangsally1000
    Mustangsally1000 Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    flat out flat bread...lo cal..high fiber. Kinda like a tortilla, but it has flavor. 1/2 is only 45 calories, and you can wrap up anything.
  • PrincessShay135
    Options
    Nothing can be substituted for peanut butter and jelly, unless you want to put peanut bitter on celery which is good. For hot sandwiches I have not found a substitute, (how do you do grilled cheese without bread?). For lunch meat sandwiches you can use big crisp leaves of lettuce as bread replacement and with may or whatever it is not bad. I miss bread like crazy, so share any bread free lifestyle secrets you discover :)
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Nothing can be substituted for peanut butter and jelly, unless you want to put peanut bitter on celery which is good.

not true! One of my favorite special treats is a pure wrap stuffed with peanut butter, mascarpone (or Greek yogurt), and jelly, then cooked on the griddle in coconut oil. PB&Js are dead to me after something that decadent!
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    My fiance and I have decided to cut out bread because the two of us can almost clear 2 loaves in a week! We've decided it has too many carbohydrates and we often have 4 pieces of buttered toast as a snack. (Yes, I know, not good!)

My question is.. I can deal with not having bread with dinner anymore.. but what about for lunch when I would usually have a grilled turkey bacon and cheese sandwich.. or turkey sandwich? My fiance usually has peanut butter and jelly or hot ham and cheese.

Anyone have any ideas on what to replace these with?

*Wanting genuine people to help, not tell me I should have cut it out sooner or w/e

What about if you cut out the bread EXCEPT for that one sandwich for lunch. Two slices of bread per day, providing you log it in your diary will be absolutely fine and you will not have to forego your sandwiches either.

I have sandwiches most days for lunch, just two slices, I do not touch bread at any other time. I buy one sliced loaf, put it straight in the freezer, pull out two slices and put spread on them and the filling in whilst the slices are still frozen. Make the sandwich wrap it up and take it to work, it does thaw out quite quickly, but it remains chilled which is good for the filling (salmon) I put in it lol.

If I make a sandwich and am not taking it to work, but want to eat it there and then, it seriously thaws out within 10 to 15 minutes.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Rather than cutting out bread entirely, why not try buying a load or individual rolls and freezing them and then defrosting them separately in the oven or something? That way you only get out what you need and the rest stays frozen and out of sight in your freezer.

If you still want to remove bread, there are tons of other things for lunch. I personally don't really like sandwiches, so I usually eat omelets, salads, protein pancakes, or egg scrambles for lunches. Back when I was eating more meat, I would sometimes just roll some lunch meat up in a slice of cheese and eat that. You could always try lettuce or tortilla wraps too, in place of bread.
  • nheilweil
    nheilweil Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    If you've got a Jimmy John's sub shop near you, they are the best! They make all their sandwiches as lettuce-wrapped "unwiches". Such a great alternative!
  • DALIAMARGARIDA
    Options
    Hello I do a high lean protein diet. If you do want to cut bread totally out use Deli slims. They are great. For my breadless sandwishes. take the cheese put it on my cutting board, then stack the deli meat thne I top with lettuce, and then wrap and eat. I really like it. I have a neat trick I was taught by my nutritionist. In order to stay full loger, avoid drinking anything for an hour after eating. At firt it is hard, especialy because my water botle is always stuck to my lips, but it does work.
    give it a try...:
  • ash12783
    ash12783 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I decided I wasn't going to completely cut out bread and carbs and I'm glad I didn't. I don't think I could have eaten healthy for the past month if I did. I just try to have my bread in the morning or early part of the day so I'll have time to burn it off. Dinner is almost always just chicken and veggies. Pasta is also a rare treat these days. I have found that my carb intake has gone down considerably just from not eating processed foods.... so I personally feel this allows some room for SOME bread products once in a while. When I do use bread, I use the sandwich thins, or the 40 cal. per slice bread, or 12 grain bread. I know this probably wasn't what you wanted to hear but I thought maybe you could look at it a different way :)
  • InTenn
    InTenn Posts: 99
    Options
    What kind is 35 calories?

Good question - I stopped eating wraps - the whole wheat ones I had were 200 each

Idk but SaraLee has a 100% Multi-grain Bread 45 cals and delightful! If you ask me, it's very good.
    Healthy Choice makes a nice 35 calorie per slice bread. 8 g of carbs and 3 of fiber per slice. The wheat is pretty tasty. We get it at Walmart. They also make some English Muffins that are low sodium and have similar relatively low carbs (17 with 4 fiber more or less). It is amazing what you can learn reading labels on bread. At least, I have learned a lot of options.
  • CJuliaV
    CJuliaV Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have Type 2 diabetes and cut out all carbs until my nutritionist (registered dietician) explained that you need 135 carbs a day to sustain brain function. Carbs are in many foods, not just bread so if you want to cut carbs, bread is a good place to start, just make sure to keep an eye on other sources. Most days my carbs include either two slices of Pepperidge Farms Light Style oatmeal bread which has 40 cals per slice and 26 carbs for three slices or one toasted english muffin (either Bay's multigrain or Thomas light). Good luck!
  • spikesmom
    spikesmom Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I just roll the deli meat and cheese together, and eat it like that.
  • miracle4me
    miracle4me Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    maybe someone hasnt given this one....

Julian Bakery has 1 carb and actually 0 carb bread...

I use Hungry Girl Flatout Foldit Bread....whole grain with flax...it has 8 net grams of carbs and it is a 2 sided sandwich bread thing..its good....grilled or toasted

try it you will like it...

This ^^^^^^
    Thanks I am going to look into flatout foldit bread I already use the Flatout wraps.
  • smeklc
    smeklc Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I have used Sara Lee's 45 and delightful.

Where I live now found Healthy Life. 35-45 depending on kind of bread (whole wheat, Italian, Whole wheat with flax). Also can get english muffins (forget # cal) and also hamburger/hotdog buns at 80 cal.
  • Wpbarr
    Wpbarr Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Lettuce wraps or veggie tortillas.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    I have Type 2 diabetes and cut out all carbs until my nutritionist (registered dietician) explained that you need 135 carbs a day to sustain brain function. Carbs are in many foods, not just bread so if you want to cut carbs, bread is a good place to start, just make sure to keep an eye on other sources. Most days my carbs include either two slices of Pepperidge Farms Light Style oatmeal bread which has 40 cals per slice and 26 carbs for three slices or one toasted english muffin (either Bay's multigrain or Thomas light). Good luck!

I just want to point out that the 135g of carbs per day is not a necessity to "sustain brain function". It's a recommendation. I know plenty of people (myself included, and I am an Ivy League professor) who sustain brain function just fine on between 50 and 100g of carbs a day. My recommendation to figure out a good amount of carbs per day for your needs is about 0.35g/lb of lean body mass. You can calculate your lean body mass using something like the one here:

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/lbm-calculator.html