What do I look for in a gym?

Options
msarro
msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
Well, it looks like I managed to peg down an apartment for when I move the first week of july, and its going to be remarkably cheaper than my current apartment (by a good 400 dollars a month or so). This means that joining a gym is a completely realistic possibility now. But.. I've never joined a gym before. What should I look for? Is it better to join a gym than a YMCA?

Replies

• msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Well, it looks like I managed to peg down an apartment for when I move the first week of july, and its going to be remarkably cheaper than my current apartment (by a good 400 dollars a month or so). This means that joining a gym is a completely realistic possibility now. But.. I've never joined a gym before. What should I look for? Is it better to join a gym than a YMCA?
  • mjfer123
    mjfer123 Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Id say some fairly up to date equipment and plenty of employees/trainers willing to talk/help.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    For most gyms you can go in and use the equipement by paying a daily fee. My old gym only charged 2 bucks! Anyway, I'd say do it that way for a few days to make sure you like the equipement, location and people. Everyone is different but I prefer the smaller places, the staff are friendlier and I find that the people there are more beginners than advanced.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Helpful instructors, that are friendly, make sure the gym is clean, newer equipment always helps. Plenty of facilities. Try to visit the gyms either around 7:00 am or after 6:00 pm to see how full they get, you don't want sign up and then find out you can't get on any machines.

Also, make sure your membership is all you are paying, some gyms try to hornswaggle you by giving you a really low membership but then make you pay for everything from lockers to training sessions (I can see training sessions, but not lockers or other amenities).
  • cwjett
    cwjett Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I used to belong to a ymca and I loved it, they had classes, pool, daycare and it was pretty big. Plus the main thing is NO contract!! They are usually cheaper than other gyms as well. A year ago one of those anytime fitness places opened about a mile from my house so I decided I would give it a try (the YMCA was about 15 miles away) I like it because you can go anytime of the day or night but I miss the benefits of all the classes, pools, saunas, things like that. Plus I had to sign a year contract and it is a little more expensive.
    Hope this helps some!
    Be sure to check out all of the machines and make sure the cardio area has TV's or something to help pass the time.
    :happy:
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    BEWARE of Bailey's. They will finance your membership at over 18% and you have to stay for the 3 years and when it is time to stop, they make it a hassle.
    Make sure you know when you can get out of a membership. That is so important. We did a 3 year "lease" with Bailey's and now we are at a wonderful place with tons of equipment.
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I agree with Kerri, go to the gyms that are the most convenient for you and ask if you can pay the daily fee to "try on" they gym before joining. I belong to Golds and they charge $15 for non-members (expensive but they have a pool and all the classes and daycare are free). JUST WATCH OUT FOR THE FULL ON SALES PITCH - YOU KNOW THEY WILL TRY!

Cleanliness, frequency of classes (if you would partake), equipment in good condition. Definitely go during peak hours....

Ask how many training sessions you will get with your membership and how many guest passes.

Also, memberships get cheaper as the contract get longer - go ahead and commit to a three year contract if you know you are staying in the area. It is a lifestyle change so make the commitment!!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I belonged to the Y and I LOVED it. . .it's still been my favorite gym. After the obvious stuff like having the equipment you want to use, I think the most important thing is the "vibe" of the gym. Take the tour, and make sure that you like being in there. The other thing is the location of the gym. Try to get one as close to your home as possible, or better yet one that you pass on the way from home to work. There's nothing more important than getting there.:flowerforyou:
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    Also, try to not have it come straight out of your checking account or credit card. I paid for a year up front, got a discount, and if I want to quit, I just stop going - no arguing, no certified letters.
  • dshandt
    dshandt Posts: 192
    Options
    No one has mentioned one AWESOME benefit of the Y! They now have this wonderful program called Fitlinxx.....apparently other gyms do too, but I don't know any others in my area. (and as far as I know, all ÝMCA's have it...my sisters in another part of the country does also) It is free-of-charge...once you join the Y, you just need to make an appointment for an staff member to set you up on it. They help you determine all of the settings you need for each weight machine you want to use, including your starting weight, and then each time you go to work out, you sign in on a computer screen and again at each machine, and the program tells you your settings, shows you how much you lifted last time and keeps track of EVERYTHING for you. Very user-friendly! It has been a huge motivator for me. Once you have your personal number, you can start going to the website, www.fitlinxx.com, and see all of your workouts, track your progress, etc. I have only just begun to sing the praises of this. It is the MAIN reason that I chose the Y over any other facility and I couldn't be happier!
  • icandoit
    Options
    What To Ask Before Joining A Gym
    by Bill Jones/ Hank Graf
    Published Nov 27, 2004

Make sure gym offers what you want
    The holidays are upon us. This seems to be the time of year when most people think about joining a gym or starting a fitness program.
    We are going to talk about some of the things you need to ask before signing up to make sure it is the one for you. First, write all of your questions down and bring them with you. You are less likely to forget something and make sure you get all the information you need to make an informed decision.

Then, find out the length of the term of the contract. Things happen in life, you may have to cancel. You want to make sure you are not locked into something you can not get out of. Some memberships are three months, six months, or even a year. Whatever it is, make sure you ask. Also ask what is the cost per month and what is included in that cost such as towel fees, locker room service, things of this nature.

If you are going to be a weight lifter, make sure when you look at the gym, that it has plenty of free weights. It does not make sense to be a weight lifter and not have a lot of weights to choose from. Also find out if the people on the staff are certified or just certified in knowing how to use the equipment. Certified means they are personal trainers, and they can help you set up a program. Sometimes a personal trainer is included but sometimes that is extra. You want to find that out as well.

The number one reason people join a gym is simple, weight-loss and that means using aerobic equipment such as treadmills, elliptical equipment and bikes. Also look at what kind of aerobics classes they offer. Does the gym offer spinning, Pilates, etc. Then you want to find out do they even have rooms such as this to offer aerobics classes?

The deciding factor before joining a gym is, do you enjoy it? Take advantage of those buddy passes, get in, try the place out, maybe even bring a friend. That way you will be acclimated, know your way around and be comfortable for the first of the year before all of those New Year’s resolutions people start.

Join Fitness Coach Bill Jones in weekly reports you can tune in and see on R NEWS every Monday at :24 minutes past each hour from 5:24am-4:24pm. Or, check them out anytime on Rochester On Demand, Time Warner Digital Cable Channel 111. ---

Our Fitness Coach: Bill Jones resides in Rochester, NY where he works as a certified personal trainer and triathlete coach. Bill is a former two time defensive MVP and SUNY Brockport Football All-American. He currently is serving as the strength and conditioning coach as well as the JV defensive football coach at Brighton High school. Bill races triathlon at all distances and has completed two Ironman races: Ironman Lake Placid and Ironman Florida. In 2002, Bill was ranked as one of the top twenty five over-200lb triathletes in the world.

Bill owns and manages Go Ape Coaching and Personal Training where he coaches triathletes, runners, bikers, swimmers, and athletes of all types. He also trains seniors, children, and the general populous.
  • icandoit
    Options
    How to Choose a Gym

By Jim Scott
    CONSUMER HEALTH INTERACTIVE

Below:
    • What should I look for in a gym?

What should I look for in a gym?

Choosing a gym that's right for you can be harder than finding a good mate. But if you know what to look for, you'll have no problem picking a good one. Ideally, you want a gym that's convenient, reasonably priced, and has the equipment and classes you need.

The main things to consider when choosing a gym are these:

•hours
    •equipment and classes
    •staff
    •atmosphere

If your gym is more than a 10-minute walk or drive from your home or office, studies show, you probably won't go -- no matter how nice it is -- so make location your number-one consideration in choosing a gym.

Cost

Membership fees vary widely. Usually you'll be asked to pay a certain amount up front to join (usually between $50 and $250), and then a monthly fee ranging from $20 to $75. Check out the fine print, too. Will you have to pay up the wazoo for the classes you want or to use the pool? Is parking included? Are guest passes available? Some contracts limit the hours or the facilities you can use; others include hidden finance charges or large initiation fees. If possible, start with a monthly or trial membership instead of paying a yearly fee upfront. Also, don't forget to ask if you can receive a refund if you move. Whatever you do, don't feel pressured to sign, even if someone's giving you the hard sell. It's your money.

Hours

You know when you're most likely to work out and flake out, so choose your gym accordingly. Insomniacs and 24-hour gyms are a good match, but workaholics and 9-to-5 gyms aren't. If you work out on the weekends, make sure you check your gym's hours; many close early on Saturdays and Sundays.

Equipment and classes

Training equipment should be clean (ditto for bathrooms and locker rooms), in good condition, and available. This isn't Disneyland; you shouldn't have to spend all your time waiting in line. The equipment should also accommodate people of all skill levels and sizes. If you've found, as many women have, that most weight machines are too big for you, ask if the equipment features smaller weight increments and adjusts to fit smaller people. Also, if you're interested in aerobics or high-intensity workouts, a wooden or suspended floor that gives will be a lot easier on your bones and joints.

Make sure, too, that the gym has the classes you want, whether kickboxing, aerobics , or power yoga . Class times and skill levels are also important. If you have the option, sit in on a class before you join.

Staff

If you're new to the gym scene, you'll want a good relationship with the gym staff -- you can learn a lot from them -- so check them out carefully. When you tour the club, pay special attention to what they're doing. First of all, how many are around? Do they seem friendly and helpful? Or are they flexing in the mirror, ignoring that guy on the stair climber who's having trouble with the pedals?

Even if you're a gym veteran, you might need the staff at some point--especially to show you the ropes of the new machines.

Besides having a good attitude, the staff at a gym should be trained in both first aid and CPR. They should also be certified by an organization such as the American Council on Exercise, the American College of Sports Medicine, or the YMCA/YWCA.

Atmosphere

You should feel comfortable at your gym -- with the people, the place, and the atmosphere. If you don't, you won't go.

Before purchasing a club membership, take a tour during the time you think you'll be working out. That will allow you to see how crowded the gym will be when you're there.

If the idea of working out among professional hardbodies makes you feel shy, you might try your local YMCA, community center, or college athletic center instead. For women who are uncomfortable working out around men, choose a gym that allows only women or one that has designated women-only areas.

If the club is part of a chain, you might be able to work out at a number of sites and choose from a wider variety of classes. But you might also have to deal with a more corporate mentality -- no rule bending and lots of red tape if you want to do anything out of the ordinary.

The little things can make a big difference, too. If music is a big part of your motivation, pick a club with CD players on the machines or one that plays a radio station you can enjoy.
  • may_marie
    may_marie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Also, try to not have it come straight out of your checking account or credit card. I paid for a year up front, got a discount, and if I want to quit, I just stop going - no arguing, no certified letters.

watch out, i got scam with something like that, were i paid 1 year in advance, when my year was up i though that was it, but if you read the tiny print, it says that you have to go in person to the gym and ask to have it canceled, i didnt know so 6 months after my membership was over i received a little of a debt i had accumulated with them, i though it was ridiculous that it took them 6 months to notify me, so i went there, told them i would pay only 1 month because they should have noticed me then and the rest i didnt pay, i still have debt collectors calling my moms house about this, but im out of the country ,,, so they'll have a hard time with it.

bottom line, watch out for scams,
    may
  • cwjett
    cwjett Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I forgot to mention the fitlinx at the Y!! I loved that program! I live in Baton Rouge and the Y that i went to after work had the program but If i went to a different one on my lunch break it didn't have it but i would come back to my office, log on to the website and enter in all my info and it helped me keep track of what i was doing and if i was reaching my goals.
    Also, trainers could send you motivational messages through the program which really helped!

The Y is my favorite gym, i wish they had one closer to my house, I would join in a hearbeat!
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options

watch out, i got scam with something like that, were i paid 1 year in advance, when my year was up i though that was it, but if you read the tiny print, it says that you have to go in person to the gym and ask to have it canceled, i didnt know so 6 months after my membership was over i received a little of a debt i had accumulated with them, i though it was ridiculous that it took them 6 months to notify me, so i went there, told them i would pay only 1 month because they should have noticed me then and the rest i didnt pay, i still have debt collectors calling my moms house about this, but im out of the country ,,, so they'll have a hard time with it.

bottom line, watch out for scams,
    may

ah yes, but I paid by check
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    good classes, clean!!! new or updated equip and plenty of tredmils and cardio.... and friendly and knowledgable staff and trainers...I hate hollywood nights at the gym...sigh....I must be getting old!

I also look for hours....open early, close late....you need flexibility!

or I did....now I'm lucky if I remember what a gym looks like....right now it looks like my parlor LOL...

hugs!
    Ali
  • barefootbabe
    barefootbabe Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I just finished working at a gym, so if you have any questions, feel free to ask. Most places should give you a week (or at least a few days) of complimentary passes so you can see if you like the atmosphere. Make sure that if you are interested in classes that the times are suitable to your schedule.

Location is important for convenience. They should also offer you at least one free session with a trainer so that you can get a basic training program set up and to make sure you know how to use the equipment without injury. From there, you can always buy more sessions if you like.

NEVER sign anything without reading it VERY carefully first. It is usually cheapest to pay up front, but that means if you do choose to cancel you are out all that money as they won't issue a refund.

Also, the salesperson is exactly that- they have a budget to meet and are just looking for a sale, believe me, I know. So if they tell you you can only get a certain price THAT DAY, it's very likely untrue unless it is the last day of the month. Try going in the last week of the month as that is when clubs are scrambling to meet their budget and are most likely to offer specials/no joining fees, etc.

Hope that helps!

e.
  • tracypaprocki
    Options
    I belong to the park district. This price is good for what I get. The only downfall is that its not open long enough on the weekends. Make sure its in a convient place otherwise when you don't feel up to going its to easy to not go
  • yenn
    yenn Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Every gym has its own personality and its own target group .. look at the people in the gym you're thinking about, and decide if they're people you'd hang out with. I go out of my way (20 minute drive) and pass 3-4 other gyms on the way to mine, just because it has become a social draw too (you see the same people in the classes you go to) and those people you say hi to eventually hold you accountable ("where WERE you last week ???") and motivate you to want to go !! I really underestimated the importance of that at the last few gyms I joined and I never really felt at 'home;' the gym I go to now is upbeat and fun and friendly and quirky. BUT, if you're not that kind of a person, go for the fancy gym, and work out with the fancy people, or the neighborhood weightroom gym and grunt along with the bodybuilders, or the gym that has basketball or racquetball if that's the sport/people you like .. just find your people and you're more likely to make the gym your second home !
  • Helawat
    Helawat Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I look for group fitness classes :)

I have troubles exercising unless I'm with other people.