Intermittent Fasting. Anyone tried it?

Options

Replies

• rando348
    rando348 Posts: 22
    Options
    I've done 16/8 and it worked well to keep calories in a defecit. You can eat larger meals later in the day rather than grazing all day on little 200-300 calorie meals. You also don't need to pack as many lunches etc.

I would just drink a shake and have some fish oil capsules before my workout. Then eat a few meals after the workout. My maintenance is 1800 calories a day and eating 6 300 calorie meals sucked!

I did this protocol for about 6 weeks. Didn't lose any muscle or strength so the myth about your metabolism slowing down and all of your muscle being eaten up is b.s. I was kind of doing it as an experiment after reading Pilon's "eat stop eat" book.

Anyway, I still do it some days. Some days I'll not eat all day until dinner. Some days I will eat breakfast and not again until my preworkout meal. Its flexible to how you want to do it. You still need to keep your calories and macros where you want them to be but not worrying about eating 6 times a day because you fear your metabolism is going to be shot was a life changing experience for me.

If you like eating many small meals then keep doing it. If you think its a pain int he *kitten* then try IF. Its not going to hurt your gains or progress. It can only help.
  • RonnyTJones
    Options
    I think the verdict is overwhelmingly positive by this point, but I wanted to throw my two cents in there. IF is flippin' awesome. Easy, effective, and frees you from the shackles of eating. Great resources are Lean Gains and Eat Stop Eat. Definitely start with either of those if you're interested. Here's a decent review of the later
    http://themanlibrary.com/eat-stop-eat/
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I think the verdict is overwhelmingly positive by this point, but I wanted to throw my two cents in there. IF is flippin' awesome. Easy, effective, and frees you from the shackles of eating. Great resources are Lean Gains and Eat Stop Eat. Definitely start with either of those if you're interested. Here's a decent review of the later
    IF frees you from one set of shackles and binds you in a new set. You reduce a 16-18 hour window to 8-10 hours. How is that removing the shackles? I eat when I want to. I am only concerned with eating around my workout for the most part.

People go into fasting thinking that they are going to get ripped. NEWS flash, you eating 5,6,7 meals a day is not the problem. The problem is your calorie control.

Oh and I was on IF for three months. So, I do have a little experience with it.
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    IF frees you from one set of shackles and binds you in a new set. You reduce a 16-18 hour window to 8-10 hours. How is that removing the shackles? I eat when I want to. I am only concerned with eating around my workout for the most part.

People go into fasting thinking that they are going to get ripped. NEWS flash, you eating 5,6,7 meals a day is not the problem. The problem is your calorie control.

You say shackles I say options. Lets face it, we wouldn't be on this site if we didn't have to 'shackle' ourselves one way or another in order to get the body we want. For me and many others, fasting is a less painful shackle than eating more frequent low cal meals. I totally accept that for other natural grazers the opposite is true. However you must admit that the current mainstream belief is very heavily skewed towards the "breakfast starts your metabolism and you have to keep eating every couple of hours to keep it going" rhetoric. I don't think it hurts to let people know that they don't have to if it doesn't suit them

As for going into it thinking you'll get ripped, couldn't the same be said for just about anything. There is always going to be the desperate uninformed minority that think something is a magic bullet.... its hardly unique to IF. look at paleo, there are people who seem to think that they can eat anything as long as its clean... um no.
  • AntWrig
    Options
    You say shackles I say options. Lets face it, we wouldn't be on this site if we didn't have to 'shackle' ourselves one way or another in order to get the body we want. For me and many others, fasting is a less painful shackle than eating more frequent low cal meals. I totally accept that for other natural grazers the opposite is true. However you must admit that the current mainstream belief is very heavily skewed towards the "breakfast starts your metabolism and you have to keep eating every couple of hours to keep it going" rhetoric. I don't think it hurts to let people know that they don't have to if it doesn't suit them
    I am not attacking fasting at all. I am attacking the ridiculous claims that many in the IF community cling too. I was one who fell for them.
    As for going into it thinking you'll get ripped, couldn't the same be said for just about anything. There is always going to be the desperate uninformed minority that think something is a magic bullet.... its hardly unique to IF. look at paleo, there are people who seem to think that they can eat anything as long as its clean... um no.
    And time after time I see people say "I tried the multiple meal thing and it didn't work". Like fasting is going to cure their lack of calorie control. Even with the Leangains method you're still eating MULTIPLE meals (2-3) so the notion of not eating multiple meals is null and void.

Instead of being concerned about eating "meal 6" you're now concerned about eating in your "window" or wondering if you fasted long enough. Yeah, that's true freedom right there....
  • Nataliaho
    Options
    I am not attacking fasting at all. I am attacking the ridiculous claims that many in the IF community cling too. I was one who fell for them.
    And time after time I see people say "I tried the multiple meal thing and it didn't work". Like fasting is going to cure their lack of calorie control. Even with the Leangains method you're still eating MULTIPLE meals (2-3) so the notion of not eating multiple meals is null and void.

Instead of being concerned about eating "meal 6" you're now concerned about eating in your "window" or wondering if you fasted long enough. Yeah, that's true freedom right there....

Lol, ok then. So where is this mysterious IF community and its deceptive manifesto? If you went into this thinking it was something that it isn't... well you should have done you research :)
  • TheFitFireman
    TheFitFireman Posts: 185 Member
    Options

What's the point of going on a forum to only post negativity? Do the world a favor and keep it to yourself. There's no shackles involved with IF, you eat in an 8 hour window, where is the shackles with that? No one has said that fasting will be the only reason for someone getting ripped, it's more than obvious that calories and the macronutrients you consume are what matters. The problem is that you fail to either notice or admit the benefits to IF, you'd rather post a biased bitter opinion that no one cares to hear about. News flash, IF works, end of the story. If you disagree or have some quarrels on IF then start your own thread to talk about it with like minded individuals.
  • AntWrig
    Options

What's the point of going on a forum to only post negativity? Do the world a favor and keep it to yourself. There's no shackles involved with IF, you eat in an 8 hour window, where is the shackles with that? No one has said that fasting will be the only reason for someone getting ripped, it's more than obvious that calories and the macronutrients you consume are what matters. The problem is that you fail to either notice or admit the benefits to IF, you'd rather post a biased bitter opinion that no one cares to hear about. News flash, IF works, end of the story. If you disagree or have some quarrels on IF then start your own thread to talk about it with like minded individuals.
    Everything has rules, even IF. Don't forget that.

Oh and you cared enough to post. Try again.
  • AntWrig
    Options

Lol, ok then. So where is this mysterious IF community and its deceptive manifesto? If you went into this thinking it was something that it isn't... well you should have done you research :)
    I never mentioned anything regarding a deceptive manifesto??? As, I said before. I have nothing against fasting per say. All I am saying is, it's no better than eating multiple meals. If you really want to learn more I suggest you join the leangains forum on facebook and I don't mean the one Martin started.
  • stupidloser
    stupidloser Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I can't do that shhhhhh. I past out. I'm glad it worked for you though.
  • TheDoctor90
    TheDoctor90 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Why don't you all just work harder in the gym to beat your plateau?
  • debdel23
    debdel23 Posts: 1
    Options

I think the whole point of a forum is to discuss ALL aspects of an issue, not just to hear from the posters who agree with the original poster (ie: you). While you may not agree with those who don't like or don't see any benefit to "IF", it is not your place to tell them they shouldn't be posting their opinions on what you call "YOUR" thread. I don't want to hear just one side of the issue, I want to hear other opinions and experiences as well. If you're unable to accept the fact that others have valid but differing opinions, perhaps YOU should be the one not posting.
  • Nataliaho
    Options
    Why don't you all just work harder in the gym to beat your plateau?

Huh? Not everyone is doing to beat a plateau. I do it do I can have a nice big dinner. End of story.
  • Nataliaho
    Options

I never mentioned anything regarding a deceptive manifesto??? As, I said before. I have nothing against fasting per say. All I am saying is, it's no better than eating multiple meals. If you really want to learn more I suggest you join the leangains forum on facebook and I don't mean the one Martin started.

I have no interest in joining a group. Like I said in my original response to you. I just see it as another option, I actually didn't say it was 'freedom', just a choice for what I find to be an easier sacrifice. I just don't see in this post, what you are going on about. If there were some crazies in a Facebook group convinced you of something that wasn't true then I dont see how that is relevant here? IF is only superior if it's the one that you personally can comply with easier.
  • AntWrig
    Options

I have no interest in joining a group. Like I said in my original response to you. I just see it as another option, I actually didn't say it was 'freedom', just a choice for what I find to be an easier sacrifice. I just don't see in this post, what you are going on about. If there were some crazies in a Facebook group convinced you of something that wasn't true then I dont see how that is relevant here? IF is only superior if it's the one that you personally can comply with easier.
    I was never convinced by "some" crazies on a facebook channel. However those said crazies inhibit this forum and other forums around the Internet. As I stated before, I did IF long enough to form MY well thought out and detailed opinion on the matter.

My opinion is fasting creates a whole new set of challenges, while it may eliminate others. However, you can do whatever you wanna do.
  • m60kaf
    m60kaf Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    OMFG how many ways are their to sell a calorie control diet.

All the people I 'look up to' on here just eat right, end of
  • CookieCrumble
    CookieCrumble Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I love IF. No, it's not a magic bullet and it's not going to miraculously make the weight drop off while eating whatever you please. It is, however great for people like me, who do not like breakfast but do like big meals. I don't find the macro management difficult and I eat healthier, without feeling any need for "cheat" days.

The form of eating that is going to be successful for anyone is the one that suits them and their lifestyle, whether that be IF, primal, low carb or whatever. :smile:

I'm glad you enjoy it as well! That's one of my favorite things about it, the fact that I can eat large meals and feel like I'm indulging instead eating like a rabbit where I eat tiny meals throughout the day like some people think you're suppose to do.

I do this too. It feels natural and I feel well on it. I eat anytime from 3pm to 8pm and that works for me. I stick within my macros and workout at the gym just fine three mornings a week. People should do what their body appreciates. Mine likes not having to process food all through the day.
  • AntWrig
    Options
    OMFG how many ways are their to sell a calorie control diet.

All the people I 'look up to' on here just eat right, end of
    On top of that a "window" of eating is applied to your life. Exactly how is this sustainable long term. You should read the comments of people freaking out cause they can't eat breakfast with their families, cause "they are out of their window" or the when they eat before their window.

I have done the 6,7,8 meals and I have fasted. Now, I have gotten wiser and just whenever the **** I want to. I have made the best gains in my life and I don't stress about eating.
  • astrojunky
    Options
    I hate all these fad diets and ways of eating.
    Your body works in a very basic way, less calories in than you body burns in a day then you will loose weight.
    More calories in than you burn in a day, then you gain weight.

I can't see how these sites praise IF, talk to a doctor. IF is not good for your blood sugar levels your causing it to crash then spike.
    This is how to end up as a diabetic over time.

Eat a good healthy balanced diet, spread across the whole day so it will keep your metabolism up and your blood sugar balanced.
    It has been proven that it does not matter even if you eat a large meal then sleep, just as long as your calorie intake for the day is lower that what you burn.
    KISS (keep it simple, stupid) eat when your hungry , drink when your thirsty. Everything in moderation and you can't go wrong.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I hate all these fad diets and ways of eating.
    Your body works in a very basic way, less calories in than you body burns in a day then you will loose weight.
    More calories in than you burn in a day, then you gain weight.

I can't see how these sites praise IF, talk to a doctor. IF is not good for your blood sugar levels your causing it to crash then spike.
    This is how to end up as a diabetic over time.

Eat a good healthy balanced diet, spread across the whole day so it will keep your metabolism up and your blood sugar balanced.
    It has been proven that it does not matter even if you eat a large meal then sleep, just as long as your calorie intake for the day is lower that what you burn.
    KISS (keep it simple, stupid) eat when your hungry , drink when your thirsty. Everything in moderation and you can't go wrong.

there is really no need to waste your energy "hating" and this site does not praise IF, some of the folks here praise it. I like it myself because I have gotten results. chill out. your first post and you got the hate goin already? thats not good for you.