Cancelling my gym membership

Options
2»

Replies

• lebaneseprincess
    Options
    Get workout DVDs or do zumba classes or the games for Wii. :)
  • sydnisd183
    sydnisd183 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    There's plenty you can do outside, at home or in your backyard. Circuit training is free, you use your own bodyweight and can do it anywhere....example: 50 jumping jacks, 50 air squats, 10 pushups = 1 circuit. Repeat 3 times. Cool down by going for a brisk walk after. There are loads of bodyweight exercises if you google. I've been with 24 hr fitness since they were Family Fitness...probably since about '92 or so so i'm just used to going LOL......you can still get fit n' sexy on the cheap!!! :P
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Personally, I can't afford NOT to have a gym membership. I have a very basic gym, so it's only about $12 a month. When financial concerns arise I make cuts to other areas of my budget first in order to keep my gym membership. My health and fitness are a priority for me, but I still need to be motivated. I'm a total cheapskate, so knowing I paid for it FORCES me to go and use it. Even if I don't feel like going at first, once I get there I usually have a great time. I do weights and I run at the gym. I still do my long runs on trails outdoors, but I do short runs at the gym on weight training days. But just because I need a bit of extra motivation doesn't mean YOU do. There's no reason you can't be fit without a gym. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • ZoeyRobinson
    ZoeyRobinson Posts: 301
    Options
    When I had a gym membership I never went. I went twice and ended up fighting with some meth head over a treadmill. I cancelled it and now workout to a dvd or outside with my hula hoop 5 times a week at least.

You have to find what works for you.
  • lifeisahighway
    lifeisahighway Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I second checking with the Open Doors program at the YMCA. Two years ago we couldn't afford the 88 bucks or so a month for the family plan and based on our income we ended up paying a WHOLE lot less.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I don't know how bad winters are in Cleveland but up here in Ottawa we'll get -40C weather, snow ice ......all the fun stuff and I run outdoors all year 'round. The only thing that keeps me in is freezing rain (I'm crazy, not stupid...:tongue: ).

The secret is dressing properly for the activity and timing. I tend to run early in the morning which means I beat the high temperatures & humidity in summer and in the winter will wear whatever layers I need for the temperature (really cold weather I'll have a merino wool base layer, a wicking layer on top of that, fleece and a shell and I'll wear merino wool under my running tights and a toque)
  • paulsmisses
    paulsmisses Posts: 178
    Options
    Yes...I am...I really can't afford this anymore. Yes, it's only 30 bucks per month, but I'm so freaking broke. Plus I just bought a new car so now I have those payments to make! I'm wasting my money...I NEVER go to the gym. I HATE IT. The gym just makes me irritable, doesn't make me feel good, and I dread it all day before I go, and everyday...\

My alternative exercise is walking at a fast pace at the park. I burn about the same amount of calories walking, as I would in an hour of torture at the gym...It just works better for me. I just don't know what I will do in the winter or when it's too hot outside though. lol Any suggestions?

i just bought an elliptical trainer on sale - its coming on the 29th, so i can use it on days when i cant go walking, i too was fed up paying for a gym i hated visiting!
  • subtractionproject
    subtractionproject Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I have never had a gym membership - it's so much easier to workout to a DVD in my living room with a pair of handweights.
  • sho3girl
    sho3girl Posts: 10,799 Member
    Options
    Do you have a mall near you? I know that a lot of people in my area walk the mall for their workout. Maybe that would be an option for you?

Love this idea - I don't work near one so this wouldn't work for me. But all the "fast-food" smells would really not be helpful to me!
  • Tricialew32
    Tricialew32 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I use a lot of the Fitness games for Wii or Xbox but if you have a smartphone there are apps that I like. My fav is the free Nike Training Club for women app. Free specific workouts from women athletes and you can earn more by logging minutes. No need to buy or upgrade or have a sensor. You can start and stop when you like or watch videos to be sure you are doing it right.
  • cornlady
    cornlady Posts: 15
    Options
    That's great!! Why, well you say you hardly went to the gym and that you can really use the money elsewhere.
    It doesnt cost anything to lace up your shoes, grab a couple of hand weights and go out for a brisk walk.
    Own a bike, go bike riding. How about rollerblading?
    There are walking paths all over, try to discover new ones so your walking workout doesnt get boring.
    Live near a Mall, go walking there on days the weather is bad.
    Dont own workout DVD's, then get some from the local library and workout in your home
    You will so much more empowered knowing you are still working out and not wasting your money.

So dont get down on yourself, so many people lose weight without belonging to a gym!
    Good luck to you!
  • sxysantos
    sxysantos Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    There are some great workout routines online that are free. You don't need a gym. Be creative!
  • shell5211
    shell5211 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have always had a difficult time with gyms too. I love taking Zumba classes at a dance studio which is 5 dollars (drop in rate--no membership) for a 60-75 minute class. Maybe think of looking for a class near you with similar rates?
  • stupidloser
    stupidloser Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I hear sex burns alot of calories but you have to do it for at least 20 minutes.
  • rando348
    rando348 Posts: 22
    Options
    I'd rather keep my gym membership than get a new car :)
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    I've lost 25 so far without a gym membership, I'm poor and feel I can't afford it. I do Zumba for free 3 times a week @ a local church. I walk on the days I don't Zumba.
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    I hear sex burns alot of calories but you have to do it for at least 20 minutes.

Yep, I averaged it to about 60 calories every 10 minutes, for me anyways.
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    A successful exercise program is about finding what you like (or can live with) and sticking with it. If you enjoy walking go for it.
  • cfloresmt
    cfloresmt Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is mostly diet(70%) and then excersize (30%). Save money from eating bad things for you (check what your daily maintenance is, and subtract that with 200-300 calories). If you manage to save 30$ go for the gym. Gym should be used mainly for weights to build muscle and a bit of cardio.

If you don't want muscle but to lose weight go out for a run every day. Jog or run your heart out till you cannot do it anymore. It'll feel mostly difficult the first few times. I was chubby and could barely walk 5mins without huffing and puffing. I do a 10km run everyday.

Just start doing it and if you want it, itll happen.