Annoyed by People Commenting??

Options
daniflems
daniflems Posts: 69 Member
Is it just me...or do you start to get slightly annoyed when people CONTINUOUSLY comment on the weight you've lost?? At first it was great...but now I can't help thinking...DID I LOOK THAT BAD BEFORE??? lol....just a little Friday venting...

Replies

• BarbBlue
    BarbBlue Posts: 251
    Options
    No, I doubt that. I think people are just being very encouraging and supportive. I think it is nice to get a "pat on the back", when doing something well sometimes.
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    Yeah I think there's a phase when your weight loss really shows and people comment. I think I've finally caught up with everyone I'm mates with since hitting my target but there was a phase when I found it quite tough, especially when people were telling me I was too thin (I wasn't even near my goal) and would tell me to eat a burger or something.... You toughen up to it. I don't give a *kitten* what people think of my weight or my eating habits any more! ; ) xxxx
  • stfuriada
    stfuriada Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I like hearing about people commenting about my weightloss instead of hearing about how I've gained weight, if the reverse were to happen.
  • Fit_Forever25
    Fit_Forever25 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    ohh why do you take it that way?
    I always take it as a compliment and it always gets me going that all this is so worth it
    and I feel more confident, happier, sexier and feels good when other gals get so Jealous :D hahaha
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

this

wow...if you want to complain about getting a compliment...just wow

change that attitude before it changes you!
  • rachel_d_b
    rachel_d_b Posts: 15
    Options

this

wow...if you want to complain about getting a compliment...just wow

change that attitude before it changes you!

^^^^ This!
  • simplysassi
    simplysassi Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Is it just me...or do you start to get slightly annoyed when people CONTINUOUSLY comment on the weight you've lost?? At first it was great...but now I can't help thinking...DID I LOOK THAT BAD BEFORE??? lol....just a little Friday venting...

I'm with the OP on this one. I've learned from my own weight-loss experience that the best compliment to receive (and to give) is very simply.... "you look great!". period. No need to carry on asking them to tell you how much they lost (or in other words... just how FAT were they before?). If they want to say how much they lost that's fine but I never ask. And if anyone ever asks me, I just say "enough to fit in these cute jeans".

It's just a personal preference for people and I think it's best to let the person being complimented dictate what they're comfortable with. No need to judge.
  • Rushie73
    Rushie73 Posts: 3
    Options
    I've lost a stone and I'm more annoyed that people keep saying 'Ooh, you didn't have a stone to lose'
    I quite obviously did but wore loser fitting clothes to conceal my gut!!!

The sensible people have nioticed though and that's what matters!
  • Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    seems no pleasing some people... :laugh:

some complain because you comment... some complain because you don't say anything... damned if you do - damned if you don't.
  • kstrunk1
    kstrunk1 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Nope, not annoyed at all!! It makes me more enthusiastic and more confident to continue. :)
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

It's just a personal preference for people and I think it's best to let the person being complimented dictate what they're comfortable with. No need to judge.

so how would this work? I go up to you and say..hey...I want to give you a compliment but Im not sure if you are going to go all negative on my *kitten* with it so what should I say? is that how we let the complimentee dictate their preference?
  • Mel2626
    Mel2626 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I love it! I know I didn't look good before this and was far from healthy so it's such a boost to my confidence. Just means I'm doing something right and encourages me to keep at it. Bring on the compliments I say!!! :smile: :smile:
  • L00py_T0ucan
    L00py_T0ucan Posts: 1,378 Member
    Options
    OP - is it that you don't like the attention? I'm just genuinely curious...
  • amanda3588
    amanda3588 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Really? This is what bothers you the most? People cant even give compliments anymore without offending someone.
  • ox45
    ox45 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I can relate to the OP. It's not so much that it's annoying that they compliment you, but it does get tiresome when 99.9% of your conversations with people are based off of your weight loss. Sometimes I just want to talk about the Yankees game, or who the Bills drafted, etc. In my second job as a bartender, I literally talk to a few hundred people in a typical shift. It does get repetitive after a while! I didn't do this to change how others see me, I did it for me. I would still like to live a normal life and just be known as Ox, not the former fat guy who lost a ton of weight.

I will, on the other hand, never get offended by someone giving a genuine compliment.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Really? This is what bothers you the most? People cant even give compliments anymore without offending someone.

Seriously! People need to stop being so damned offended over every stupid thing.
  • rachellosesitall85
    rachellosesitall85 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    OP, it sounds like you have some soul searching. I think it all boils down to the truth. Maybe you did look like *kitten* before the weight loss as most people do. It's just an opinion though but something drove you to lose it, perhaps vain reasons. My curiosity lies in why do you even care? You look great now, and that's all that should matter. Me personally, I like occasional compliments but I get uncomfortable with too much attention, however it seems like you're too worried about what people thought of you before the weight loss that's neither here or there. It's best to focus on the now, otherwise if you gain the weight back, you'll obsess about what people think.
  • missjewl
    missjewl Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    It's really not just you! It makes you wonder how big you really were... and then you think omg was i really that big? I been there. yesterday the manager from a different shift came up to me and said wow you're really shrinking i cant believe how much you have shrunk!... Um... thanks. i mean really i know i have lost weight and looking back at pics one can really tell but dependong on who says it and how they say it sometimes it sounds offensive. we just have to learn to accept it. im sure they dont mean it to ridicule they just dont compliment well... Try and enjoy that people notice and dont take the way they compliment as a bad thing!
  • ColletteNicole
    ColletteNicole Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I can't wait for that!! When I've lost before though, I LOVED the compliments!

What annoys me is that no one ever says anything when you are gaining.... I would have rather heard something to the effect of "it looks like you are putting on a lot of weight" (in a concerned, non-rude way) than waiting to comment until I lose it - maybe that reality check would've helped with my denial LOL. For me it was so easy to gain and it was easy to tell myself no one noticed because no one EVER said anything! That and my clothes still fit for a long time (didn't realize all my jeans had like 5% lycra LOL).
  • doggiesnot
    doggiesnot Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Be proud of your progress. You can be an inspiration for others.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!