Why Smoothies With Bananas Are Beneficial To Your Health

Options
ProTFitness
ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
Why Smoothies With Bananas Are Beneficial To Your Health

By Tracy Russell

Bananas are not only delicious and convenient, they provide a wide range of health benefits that put them on the top of my grocery list. Bananas are also a favorite ingredient for smoothie recipes. They provide a wonderful, creamy smoothie base and their flavor complements a variety of fruits such as strawberries, blueberries, pears, apples, pineapple and more.
If you are thinking about trying a green smoothie for the first time, I recommend that you start by using bananas because they make a delicious smoothie and work well at masking the flavor of greens such as spinach or kale.
If the taste alone isn’t enough motivation to eat a banana every day, how about the many health benefits!

Banana Health Benefits

1 – Provides Energy: Bananas provide energy through their high content of healthy carbohydrates and potassium, which makes them a perfect food for athletes and active people. Eating bananas also helps to restore the electrolyte balance in your body which is important after a strenuous workout.
If you have an active lifestyle, you will also appreciate the perfect packaging and portability of bananas. A banana green smoothie can also be carried anywhere without the risk of bruising!

2 – Promotes Cardiovascular Health: Bananas are a rich source of potassium, a mineral that has been linked to maintaining normal blood pressure and heart function. Studies show that a diet rich in foods containing potassium (such as bananas) significantly lowers the risk of stroke. The fiber in bananas also help promote cardiovascular health. (more…)

3 – Antacid and Stomach Health: Bananas have a natural antacid effect which protects against stomach ulcers and ulcer damage. Eating bananas helps to stimulate the cells in your stomach that compose the acid-protective lining.
Ironically, some people complain that eating bananas gives them heartburn. Suggested causes for this might be that unripe or partially-ripe bananas have sugars and starches that are not as easily digestible for some people. Possible allergies might play a role as well.

4 – Digestive/Colon Health: Bananas can provide relief for constipation and help normalize digestive function. Bananas contain tryptophan, an amino acid which is used by your body to produce serotonin. Serotonin plays a significant role in regulating intestinal movement and function. (more…)

5 – Balanced Mood And Brain Health: The tryptophan content of bananas which lead to the production of serotonin also helps regulate mood, sleep patters, muscle contraction, appetite, memory and learning. (more…) Bananas are a good source of vitamin B6, which studies suggest may reduce the risk for Parkinson’s disease. (more…)

6 – Improved Mineral/Nutrient Absorption: Bananas are a rich source of
fructooligosaccharide (more…) which helps nourish helpful bacteria in your digestive tract which are responsible for aiding digestion and the production/processing of vitamins and minerals. Bananas have been shown to play a role in the improved absorption of minerals such as calcium. Adding a banana to your fruit or green smoothie will help maximize the nutrients that are available.

7 – Promotes Kidney Health: Potassium and antioxidant phenolic compounds in bananas play a role in protecting against kidney disease and cancers.

8 – Immune System Support: Bananas are a great source of vitamin B6, which plays a roll in the production of antibodies to fight off disease.

9 – Low Glycemic: Green (unripe) bananas are low on the glycemic scale which makes it a great food for those with diabetes. (more…)

10 – Weight Loss Benefits: Bananas are a low-calorie food, about 100 or so calories in a medium fruit. The fiber content in bananas helps you feel full which can help you avoid snacking between meals. Bananas are beneficial in helping you reach your weight loss goals. In fact, there is a popular “Banana Diet” that originated in Japan and recently took the internet by storm.
Banana Nutrition Highlights
A medium-sized banana about 7 or 8 inches long provides about 105-120 calories, about 20% of your daily value (DV) of vitamin B6, 18% DV vitamin C, 13% DV of potassium, 12% DV of dietary fiber and 9% DV manganese. Bananas contain many phytonutrients and antioxidants that contribute to the health benefits listed above.

Banana Smoothie Recipes
Bananas make great smoothies. Their soft, creamy texture eliminates the need for a dairy (milk or yogurt) base which allows you to reap the full detox benefits of a banana smoothie. I recommend making your smoothies with just water or natural fruit juices, whole fruits and greens. See our article on how to make a fruit or green smoothie.
If you are new to green smoothies, or haven’t even tried one yet, I recommend the following recipe that will get you hooked on better nutrition! And I swear, you will not taste the greens at all!

2 whole bananas, peeled
2 cups (or handfuls) of raw, baby spinach
1/2 to 1 cup water
Ice as needed to chill
Blend on high until rich and creamy. Your smoothie will come out bright green, but will taste like banana instead of spinach! You can also add fresh or frozen blueberries, strawberries, fresh kiwi or a few chunks of pineapple.
Ripe bananas can be frozen, and are perfect for making chilled smoothies or raw “ice cream“.

Replies

• ysamatar
    ysamatar Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing it. Bananas is my favorite fruit!
  • purprincess33
    purprincess33 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I was thinking of trying this smoothies, thank for posting this..why do some smoothness recipes call for frozen banana? Does it matter if I would use fresh?
    like the dark chocolate, Peanut Butter, Banana smoothie...it says its only 323 calories but im considering using fat free milk which should bring that down a little..

http://eatgood4life.blogspot.com.es/2012/01/chocolate-peanut-butter-and-banana.html

Yields 4 servings

3 cups of soy milk (you can use almond milk or regular milk)
    2-3 frozen bananas, chopped
    1 tablespoon unsweetened dark cocoa powder
    1/4 cup dark chocolate chips (using 3-4 squares of 70% cocoa chocolate its better, I just didn't have any on hand)
    2 tablespoons honey
    1/4 cup flax seed meal (optional, sometimes I add it and sometimes I don't)
    2-3 tablespoons peanut butter.

In a blender add the chocolate chips, cocoa powder, peanut butter and 1 cup of soy milk. Blend for about 30 seconds. Add other remaining ingredients and blend until liquefied.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    Gasp! Didn't you know bananas can KILL you? :p
  • paulagj
    paulagj Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try these recipes! Thx for sharing.
  • LesterBlackstone
    LesterBlackstone Posts: 291 Member
    Options

a.aaa-banana-art.jpg
  • JediMaster_intraining
    JediMaster_intraining Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    go bananas!
  • rudegyal_b
    rudegyal_b Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    green bananas are nasty
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Apple and banana are my fav fruit.
    I'm glad you post this because I heard quite often banana has bad .. too much carb.
  • noirnatural
    noirnatural Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I am going to try this over the weekend,
    I always hesitate to eat bananas because of other things I have learned doing other diets...but this makes me feel at ease...lol:bigsmile:
  • fmbomzo
    fmbomzo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I have been making the following smoothie recently:

1 mango cubed, frozen
    1/2 med banana, frozen
    1 cup almond milk (vanilla, unsweetened)
    1/2 cup raw spinach, chopped
    1/2 cup non-fat plain yogurt

It ends up being about 231 cals and is a very satisfying breakfast option.

It is delicious. The only thing that hints to the spinach is the green color. It's very creamy because of the frozen fruits and yogurt. Using almond milk instead of cow's milk reduces the calories.
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I love bananas, my favorite fruit. But just too high in carbs. I just can't justify that much carbs in one item on a daily basis. So wish I could
  • gomisskellygo
    gomisskellygo Posts: 635 Member
    Options

a.aaa-banana-art.jpg

I love it!
  • Ahumphrey41
    Ahumphrey41 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys for the recipes! I have been drinking a mixed berry smoothie. Will try these for a change of pace. By the way, my Berry Smoothie is

1/2 cup of berries (blue berry or mixed) frozen
    1/2 cup of Almond milk vanilla flavor
    1/2 cup of low fat vanilla yogurt.
    and a hand full of ice
    :-) banana is optional
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    they're radioactive, don't you know
  • brittanymarie120
    Options
    i love smoothies!!

I normally just eye out fruit servings, but here is what I typically use for a strawberry banana smoothie :D

- 1 fresh banana
    - a small handful of frozen strawberries
    - yoplait strawberry/banana yogurt
    - water
    - mango strawberry SPARK (made by advocare) -- great for an energy boost!
    - acai berry emergency packet -- great source of vitamins
  • ProTFitness
    Options
    I was thinking of trying this smoothies, thank for posting this..why do some smoothness recipes call for frozen banana? Does it matter if I would use fresh?
    like the dark chocolate, Peanut Butter, Banana smoothie...it says its only 323 calories but im considering using fat free milk which should bring that down a little..

http://eatgood4life.blogspot.com.es/2012/01/chocolate-peanut-butter-and-banana.html

Yields 4 servings

3 cups of soy milk (you can use almond milk or regular milk)
    2-3 frozen bananas, chopped
    1 tablespoon unsweetened dark cocoa powder
    1/4 cup dark chocolate chips (using 3-4 squares of 70% cocoa chocolate its better, I just didn't have any on hand)
    2 tablespoons honey
    1/4 cup flax seed meal (optional, sometimes I add it and sometimes I don't)
    2-3 tablespoons peanut butter.

In a blender add the chocolate chips, cocoa powder, peanut butter and 1 cup of soy milk. Blend for about 30 seconds. Add other remaining ingredients and blend until liquefied.

Its better not to use any Milk at all. Soy milk is the worst next worst offender is regular milk. Better option is almond milk unsweetend or jsut use water and ice
  • ProTFitness
    Options
    look at 30 bananas a day.com .Bananas have got a bad reputation. I have lost weight by increasin my nanas a day
  • ProTFitness
    Options

Then I would be dead and 1000's more LMAO