Need a new scale...recommendations?

Options
I am currently weighing myself on my husbands Weight Watchers digital scale. He's had it for a long time. I find it unacceptable that it fluctuates by up to 7 lbs, even when I get on it over and over again the same morning. I replaced the batteries, but it didn't
Help. Can anyone suggest a reliable scale I can buy for the home without breaking the bank? I don't attend a gym, so I can't make use of an outside one right now. It's been frustrating.....

Replies

• tjphelps73
    tjphelps73 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I just purchased one at JC Penney for $25. I do not know the brand, but it works great. It is grey/black & glass. The only downfall is it does not have a backlight on the digital display. Previously we purchased one at Target (BAD IDEA), a month later it went to the trash.
  • saustin201
    saustin201 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    My original scale was faulty too. It told me, within just a few minutes, that I weighed: 115, 211, 185, 165. Only one of those numbers was correct. So my cheap hubby went out and bought a Weight Watcher Digital at Goodwill. Guess what? It's worked great for several years now. You don't need to spend a fortune on a scale, more expensive does not mean it's better. The Weight Watchers scales do work good.
  • ritasice21
    ritasice21 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    If you have an Ollies nearby, I just bought a tempered glass scale, no brand, for $10. tested it with my other scale and weights, works great. And, it is very cool and modern looking. Only bad part was my old non digital scale was off 4 pounds, to the bad for me!
  • parallax693
    Options
    the WW one I have now is not backlit, that is not a big deal to me. I just want reliable numbers!!!! thanks!!!
  • parallax693
    Options
    Nope, don't have an Ollie's, never even heard of it. I might get another WW scale, but I am wary at the moment....but I need to remember that this one might just be past its prime. (like me!)
  • kimmieyr1
    kimmieyr1 Posts: 189
    Options
    I recently got a Eat Smart Precision Model ESBS-01 from Amazon though I have seen it in stores. You can get on and off it 10 times and always exactly the same. Nice looking and great read out. It had lots of good reviews on Amazon.
  • parallax693
    Options
    I just looked up the eat smart precision models on Amazon, and they are very reasonable. I will see what they have out there at the dept stores (jc penney, macys, NOt Target or Walmart). Thanks so much!!!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    1) Don't be tempted to buy one with a built in body fat percentage calculator even though they are usually inexpensive. These are always going to be inaccurate, sometimes by as much as 7%. It's not worth it.

2) I have a Tanita that is on the same pair of batteries I bought it with in 2004 :)
  • urfitnesspal2
    urfitnesspal2 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    My wife and I had the same experience with a WW scale :( We are using an analog scale currently but on the lookout for a good one as well...
  • parallax693
    Options
    Good to know. I'm focusing on weight numbers and inches, not fat percentages, so that is good to know....thanks!
  • hkevans724
    hkevans724 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    My original scale was faulty too. It told me, within just a few minutes, that I weighed: 115, 211, 185, 165. Only one of those numbers was correct. So my cheap hubby went out and bought a Weight Watcher Digital at Goodwill. Guess what? It's worked great for several years now. You don't need to spend a fortune on a scale, more expensive does not mean it's better. The Weight Watchers scales do work good.

I agree! Love my weight watchers digital. It doesn't have a back light but I don't weigh at night anyway so that is not a issue. I have found thought that if something gets under one of the feet and it's not perfectly level then it may be off.. so make sure you sweep under it regularly :)
    P.S. It's kitty litter that gets under it just so you know, strange I know, but the litter makes it not sit right :)
  • jkleman79
    jkleman79 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    The best scale is a kodak in my opinion...take pictures and compare them. One a week and then at the end of each month compare current one with the day 1 pic. As long as you feel better and look better that is what really matters. I use a scale for body fat % only. I would suggest a manual scale instead of digital since they change so much based on different variables. Mine is different before a shower and after etc and its digital.
  • elephantbelayer
    Options
    I suggest the Curves scale. My mother-in-law bought one and didn't like it cause you have to bend over to turn it on every time and she has bad knees, so she gave it to me. You can program up to ten people in it and not only does it calculate your weight, but also your water weight, BMI, and other interesting numbers.
  • monalissanne
    monalissanne Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I have this EatSmart scale from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/EatSmart-Precision-Digital-Bathroom-Technology/dp/B001KXZ808/ref=dp_cp_ob_hpc_title_0

I love it. It's consistent. I periodically put a 10 lb medicine ball on it to check, and it is always 10.0 unless I have moved my scale around (and surface isn't entirely flat). If I do move it and I have to recalibrate it is super simple - basically just tapping and letting it reset to 0.

No tapping and then getting on. You just get on. Most consistent and reliable scale I have ever owned. I literally can go drink 8 oz. of water and the scale will go up 8 oz.

Edited to add: It does have a backlight and I can weigh in the dark.
  • mminor77
    mminor77 Posts: 313
    Options
    I recently got a Eat Smart Precision Model ESBS-01 from Amazon though I have seen it in stores. You can get on and off it 10 times and always exactly the same. Nice looking and great read out. It had lots of good reviews on Amazon.

^^THIS. I have the same one and love it.
  • umachanxo
    umachanxo Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    I have a WW scale and it works great. Try one of the newer ones?
  • Kevinpcarey
    Options
    I checked that model on Amazon and it has nearly 5 THOUSAND 5 star reviews. I got my CC out and i am ordering it now. I don' trust my current scale an OLD Tanita
  • monalissanne
    monalissanne Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I checked that model on Amazon and it has nearly 5 THOUSAND 5 star reviews. I got my CC out and i am ordering it now. I don' trust my current scale an OLD Tanita

Good! Also, most of the bad reviews are from an older model that you had to tap on and off. It's not the same one being sold now.