0.6 weight increase

Options
Drinking water but have increased my strength training a lot. I am working out 6 days a week. What the !@#$ is going on? My waistline is definitely smaller this week than last week and hips I know...everyone is going to say muscle weighs more than fat but my brain is wrapped around numbers I feel so disgusted. I have never worked out so hard in my life drank so much freakin' water!!! Uggghhhh...watching my sugars too. This week I even stopped drinking the diet sodas. Trying to eat clean! :(

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    We love the scale to go down don't we? But focus on the fact that your waistline is smaller! That's awesome!

Did you just increase your strength training this week? Even with drinking lots of water and eating clean, a new workout, especially with weights, usually bumps me up a bit on the scale at first. Give it time.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    You probably have to poop.
  • PhilyPhresh
    PhilyPhresh Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Don't be discouraged! The more heavy lifting you do the more muscle you will build and it is going to hinder your “weight loss”, but what really matters is fat loss. I calculate my weight, but I also keep track of my body fat % because at the end of the day, THAT is what matters to me. If you want to be skinny, stop lifting weights. If you want to be fit, don’t worry what the scale says. Pay more attention to how big your clothes feel ;)
  • HotCuppaJo
    HotCuppaJo Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    You probably have to poop.

:laugh: :laugh:
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Drinking water but have increased my strength training a lot. I am working out 6 days a week. What the !@#$ is going on? My waistline is definitely smaller this week than last week and hips I know...everyone is going to say muscle weighs more than fat but my brain is wrapped around numbers I feel so disgusted. I have never worked out so hard in my life drank so much freakin' water!!! Uggghhhh...watching my sugars too. This week I even stopped drinking the diet sodas. Trying to eat clean! :(

increased strength training = water retention. Your muscles hold onto water as they repair themselves. Honestly, even if you weren't doing more strength training, 0.6 of a pound is negligible. Weight fluctuates all the time. It's such a tiny increase that could be down to muscle repair, hormone fluctuations, a different volume of food in your body etc and you know logically you are losing inches. To feel "so disgusted" is really not a healthy frame of mind to be in. It sounds like you're making really good changes to your lifestyle, AND your body is getting smaller. You should be happy and proud!
  • DaBossLady24
    DaBossLady24 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Don't be discouraged! The more heavy lifting you do the more muscle you will build and it is going to hinder your “weight loss”, but what really matters is fat loss. I calculate my weight, but I also keep track of my body fat % because at the end of the day, THAT is what matters to me. If you want to be skinny, stop lifting weights. If you want to be fit, don’t worry what the scale says. Pay more attention to how big your clothes feel ;)

^^ This.... and pooping helps too. :wink:
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I was like you last week. Stuck with it rigidly but still put on a pound. This week I'm down 4 so it's just the body finding it's own levels and across the month you should see a good loss.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    muscle does not weigh more than fat. a pound is a pound. muscle takes up less space than fat. and you didn't put on muscle weight that quickly. not possible.

my question is -- if you can't handle NORMAL fluctuations in weight, why are you weighing often?? I weigh every day. My weight is NOT the same every morning. Today is was .8lbs up -- I'm on my period. so what. our hormones make our weight fluctuate, so unless you can handle that, then I suggest not weighing very often.

Are you eating right? Eating enough?
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    it is water retention. or have a couple cups of coffee and try again.
  • paticksmama07
    paticksmama07 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    How often should I weigh every two weeks? I guess I need to start drinking 3 liters of water a da instead of just the recommended 8 oz. and you guys are right I haven't pooped yet. I am goining to weigh less. I am 38 years old and I want a strong tight body. I want to look good in my clothes and be strong. I HAVE TO CHANGE MY MINDSET I know but that weigh-in button is driving me nuts!!! I will be 40 obviously in two years and don't want pre-menopause and extra fight on my body like it happens to a lot of women. I am fighting to get back to a size 4 on my 5'2" frame not just skinny with no muscle tone. I want flat abs, tight buns and amazing legs that I once had. Even at my smallest a size 2 I weighed 132lbs it is in my genes to carry more muscle and look smaller! I am going to keep at it I need lots of ENOURAGEMENT though. Normally I just starve myself but it hasn't worked because here I am again.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    How often should I weigh every two weeks? I guess I need to start drinking 3 liters of water a da instead of just the recommended 8 oz. and you guys are right I haven't pooped yet. I am goining to weigh less. I am 38 years old and I want a strong tight body. I want to look good in my clothes and be strong. I HAVE TO CHANGE MY MINDSET I know but that weigh-in button is driving me nuts!!! I will be 40 obviously in two years and don't want pre-menopause and extra fight on my body like it happens to a lot of women. I am fighting to get back to a size 4 on my 5'2" frame not just skinny with no muscle tone. I want flat abs, tight buns and amazing legs that I once had. Even at my smallest a size 2 I weighed 132lbs it is in my genes to carry more muscle and look smaller! I am going to keep at it I need lots of ENOURAGEMENT though. Normally I just starve myself but it hasn't worked because here I am again.

Relax and focus on your measurements as well. If you are losing inches, you are making progress. Look at the scale as useful information but take into account the other measurements for a complete picture.
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    STEP AWAY FROM THE SCALE!!!

If you are doing a heavy lifting program the scale will drive you crazy, and depending on how much body fat you started with, the tape measure may not be so friendly either. Do yourself a favor and try to stay away from both. Lock them in the trunk of your car for at least a month and don't touch them again. When you do measure weight and inches, do it at the end of a rest week or at least the week after your cycle. Take pictures and let how your clothes fit be your guide. I've barely lost any weight, but I went from a size 14 to a size 7. THe scale can discourage you so DON'T LET IT!
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    .6???? Am I reading this right (.6) of a pound?

It is normal for your weight to fluctuate a pound or two here and there even within in a 24 hour period. Relax!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary too - do you log everything? Because your daily calories are all over the place - some days you're around 600 and other days over goal by 1000. Part of the problem may be that you need to eat more. Yes, hard concept to get our heads around after being told forever that we need to starve ourselves to lose weight while pushing our bodies to the limit with exercise.

Check out the group Eat More To Weigh Less here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3817-eat-more-to-weigh-less

Lots of great info and resources to figure out your BMR, body fat %, healthy goal weight and how much you should be eating based on your activity level. It's great info to arm yourself with as you figure out what your body needs to function efficiently, so it can burn fat and you can fuel it properly for your workouts. Check it out.
  • Ripcode
    Ripcode Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    You are freaking out about .6 lbs??
  • grubb1019
    grubb1019 Posts: 371 Member
    Options

This. It amazes me how people don't realize it is normal for your weight to fluctuate a lb or two from day to day. That's why I only weigh myself every few days.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    first, train your mind to know that the scale doesn't tell the whole picture. Honestly, if you're going to have a near nervous breakdown over a 0.6 "scale increase" (not weight increase), then I'm concerned about your ability to stay on this journey long term. The scale does not tell the entire story and you have to accept and appreciate that there are several reasons for weight fluctuation...most notably, water retention. Throw your effin scale away if you're going to freak out about a 2 pound "scale gain" that you WILL UNDOUBTEDLY see at some point. Its just a scale gain and not necessarily weight gain. If you don't understand the difference, then the scale is doing your psyche a disservice.

second, you are probably exercising TOO MUCH. Most people don't appreciate the importance of rest and recovery days. Your muscles NEED time to heal and recover...that's when they grow...that's when they release the excess water they've been holding onto. There is no need to strength train 6 times a week....or even exercise 6 days a week. NONE! You're not helping your body improve. 3 days of strength training a week are plenty. If you want to mix in some cardio on 2 other days, fine. Muscles retain water when they are repairing themselves.

third, as some folks have already said, you may not be eating enough. Again, this may seem counter intuitive, but if you don't eat enough for your body to function, then it goes into survival mode and holds onto EVERYTHING. That's not a good thing.
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    first, train your mind to know that the scale doesn't tell the whole picture. Honestly, if you're going to have a near nervous breakdown over a 0.6 "scale increase" (not weight increase), then I'm concerned about your ability to stay on this journey long term. The scale does not tell the entire story and you have to accept and appreciate that there are several reasons for weight fluctuation...most notably, water retention. Throw your effin scale away if you're going to freak out about a 2 pound "scale gain" that you WILL UNDOUBTEDLY see at some point. Its just a scale gain and not necessarily weight gain. If you don't understand the difference, then the scale is doing your psyche a disservice.

second, you are probably exercising TOO MUCH. Most people don't appreciate the importance of rest and recovery days. Your muscles NEED time to heal and recover...that's when they grow...that's when they release the excess water they've been holding onto. There is no need to strength train 6 times a week....or even exercise 6 days a week. NONE! You're not helping your body improve. 3 days of strength training a week are plenty. If you want to mix in some cardio on 2 other days, fine. Muscles retain water when they are repairing themselves.

third, as some folks have already said, you may not be eating enough. Again, this may seem counter intuitive, but if you don't eat enough for your body to function, then it goes into survival mode and holds onto EVERYTHING. That's not a good thing.
    ^ really well said
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

This. It amazes me how people don't realize it is normal for your weight to fluctuate a lb or two from day to day. That's why I only weigh myself every few days.
    exactly.. my weight can fluctuate by as much as 5 pounds due to water retention. obviously if you arent eating way over your maintenance calories you arent gaining fat.