Salad dressing

Options
Im getting bored of plain salads but know brand dressing usually have high cals/salt

Anyone got a recipe for a good homemade one?

xx

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,968 Member
    Options
    Olive oil, Balsamic vinegar, Mrs. Dash Garlic spices, fresh ground pepper, parmesan.
  • amberlynyeager
    Options
    I have some at home, one's a sugar free Raspberry Vinaigrette, it's absolutely delicious, and another that's fat free Poppy Seed, they're both absolutely delicious, come in a small glass bottle when I get home, I'll have to give you the name brand. The Raspberry only has 5 calories per serving, and I believe that the poppy seed is like 25 per serving.
  • amberlynyeager
    Options
    Actually found it. It's Maple Grove Farms
  • lucylou9701
    lucylou9701 Posts: 194
    Options
    bump* I usually put olive oil and balsamic vinegar on mine.... Another one that I have found is really good is
    1tbsp Plain fat free greek yogurt= 7 calories
    1tsp (depends on the brand) ranch dressing dry mix= 5 calories
    1tsp milk (just to thin it)= 3 calories?
    total= 15 calories and way better for you than store brand and if you just take the greek yogurt and just mix it with some milk it will thin it down and u can just pour it over top and that is still good.
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    The hell with dressing have you just tried squeezing a lime????? delish!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Favorite oil + favorite vinegar/lemon/lime juice. Salt and pepper to taste.
  • ❤lindsay❤dawn❤
    Options
    *bump*
  • cardiokitten
    cardiokitten Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Not homemade, but the nutrition on it is okay all around and it tastes SOOO good!

!BuEGFe!BGk~$(KGrHqMOKicEvLdHmpdrBL-uUH!gEQ~~_3.JPG
  • niftyafterfifty
    niftyafterfifty Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried the following recipe yet. I had to order the white balsamic vinegar from Amazon. I should receive it soon, and then I'll make it. Ranch is my favorite, but it is so calorically dense that I only eat it occassionally

Low-fat Buttermilk Ranch Dressing
    Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes
    Servings: 13 • Size: 1/4 cup • Old Points: 1 pts • Points+: 1 pts
    Calories: 52.3 • Fat: 2.0 g • Carbs: 5.5 g • Fiber: 0.0 g • Protein: 3.4 g • Sugar: 3.7 g
    Sodium: 288.8 mg

Ingredients:
    3/4 cup fat free sour cream
    3/4 cup fat free Greek yogurt
    1/3 cup Hellman's light mayonnaise
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1 tsp onion powder
    1 tbsp chopped fresh chives
    1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
    1 tsp salt
    freshly ground pepper
    1-2 tbsp white balsamic vinegar
    2 cups 1% low fat buttermilk
    Directions:

In a small bowl or large measuring cup, combine the sour cream, yogurt, mayonnaise, garlic, powder, onion powder, parsley, chives, salt, and cracked pepper. Mix well.
    Stir in the white balsamic vinegar; then buttermilk.

Adjust the seasonings to taste, adding another tablespoon of balsamic vinegar if desired. The flavors will become bolder over time.
  • boldtsmith
    boldtsmith Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Orange juice ruduced over medium heat to about 1/4 volume.
    Add sesamee oil, teryaki sauce, and some balsamic all to taste (small amounts).

Wilt your salad by using it warm or chill it.

Yum!
  • HeatherWestgate
    HeatherWestgate Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    A really good tip for making your own salad dressing is grate some onion or shallot right into your salad bowl, add some sort of acid (vinegar, lemon) and some salt. Let these sit while you chop the rest of your salad ingredients. Finish off your salad dressing right in the bowl by adding some Dijon mustard and some sweetness like maple syrup or some fruit such as grated apple, orange juice, or blended berries. Mix it together well with a whisk, add some oil as well if you like but it doesn't really need it. Toss all your salad ingredients in the bowl with the dressing and serve.
    This is really low cal and fat free if you don't make it with oil.

http://cultavegan.tumblr.com/post/21738916873/

Don't know if this link works but I posted this on my vegan blog.
  • amanda_ataraxia
    amanda_ataraxia Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Salsa vinaigrette! Take your favorite salsa and add apple cider vinegar to it. It is delicious with some black beans and fajita vegetables.
  • Ayirela
    Ayirela Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I just use plain balsamic vinegar (not the dressing...the real vinegar) just a little of that and it's yum! My partner did a couscous salad today she found some recipe that was low on cal for a lunch and did couscous in chicken stock so it would be slightly liquid but not completely and put that over her salad and she loved it.
  • juliaamilee
    juliaamilee Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    bolthouse farms is made from yogurt. 45 cal a serving.
  • amberinmt
    amberinmt Posts: 8
    Options
    2 TBSP Apple Cider vinegar
    2 TBSP Mayo ( I used the 1/2 olive oil kind)
    2 TBSP Olive Oil
    2 TSP garlic powder
    1 garlic clove
    dash salt/pepper

mix together and allow flavors to meld, dress salad about 1/2 hour before serving. It'll give you killer garlic breath though, so don't make it on date night! ;)
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    I use this one a lot, or some variation of it based on what's available. You can adjust the herbs and spices to your tastes. Google Apple Cider Vinegar and you will see that there are all kind of health benefits. I had gout. Bought a couple gallons of ACV. Got tired of doing shots of it and started using it in my cooking. Experienced some level of gout for 10 years. Haven't had a gout attack now in 6 months since I started using ACV

Apple Cider Vinegar Salad Dressing
    1 cup of olive oil
    1/2 cup of Apple cider vinegar
    1 teaspoon of onion powder
    2 tablespoon of whole grain mustard or djion type mustard
    2-3 cloves of garlic minced
    1/2 teaspoon of dried thyme
    1/2 teaspoon of dried basil
    1 teaspoon salt
  • sweetteacher123
    Options
    Find some aged balsamic vinegar. It's full of flavor and very few calories. No need to add olive oil, just the balsamic.
  • KayMarissa
    KayMarissa Posts: 14
    Options
    http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lz3tjuVCy31qdogz7o1_1280.jpg <--- Lot's of good dressings here!

I also like Annie's Lite Gingerly Dressing (if you want a good store bought brand)

and...

Spicy Mustard Dressing
    1/4 cup coarse ground spicy mustard
    3 Tbsp grapeseed oil
    1/4 cup red wine vinegar
    2 Tbsp maple syrup
    Mix and enjoy!
  • jenfitz
    jenfitz Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    1-2 garlic cloves minced
    tsp olive oil
    red wine vinegar to taste
    balsamic vinegar to taste
    1 tsp dijon mustard ( will help emulsify with less oil)
    salt and pepper
  • djcon
    djcon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    bump