JMs advice, what do you think?

Options
So I "liked" Jillian Michaels on FB and just saw her post today, I found it kind of interesting what do you guys think? anyone doing this and had success?

"Here's a little skinny tip for you: DON'T DEPRIVE YOURSELF!
Practice the 80/20 rule. Make 80% of your daily calorie allowance clean and healthy and then make 20% treat foods of your choice. One caveat: please avoid foods with chemicals and preservatives. So for example: have Green & Black organic chocolate bars instead of a snickers. Have pop chips instead of Baked Lays. Have Ciao Bella sorbet an...d frozen yogurt instead of Haggen Daz. Have a Newmans brand peanut butter cup instead of a Reeses. The difference is that the first products listed don't have trans fats, HFCS, artificial colors or flavors etc. Salt and sugar is ok in moderation, but avoid chemicals and frankenfoods in your diet whenever possible."

My moto through this has always been moderation no depervation so I'm inclined to agree with her, you?

*Ps no Trolling Please*

Replies

• melruiz5
    melruiz5 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    i am a JM lover so I will keep this in mind. . . Thanks for sharing :bigsmile: :flowerforyou:
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    I agree that you shouldn't deprive yourself - but I'd be eating the Snickers.
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    i always try to give myself something otherwise i would go crazy! i am huge chocolate fan and cant live without it! i try to eat as healthy as possible. never really thought about the natural stuff as i didnt think there were so many options, thanks for the post!
  • Pucker508
    Pucker508 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I am happy to hear her say that! I have always done this (I have to have something sweet everyday) but will have to start trying new things. I a fan of an after dinner dessert... the new mini or snack sized ice cream cones by drumstick or blue bunny are my favorite because they don't use "diet" ice cream.

Next time I go food shopping, I think I will search out some of the suggestions she said.
  • 2012asv
    2012asv Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I agree with no deprivation, and when i do have sweets I try to make it a better version- like organic or natural instead of processed. Do what you can!
  • bcl003
    bcl003 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I agree, but I normally would just eat the snickers, I've never heard of the bar that she listed before.
  • TammyGrl0528
    Options
    I love JM and agree with most everything she says...minus some of her meal ideas...YUCK! Ha ha. I will like her on Facebook as well. I do her workout videos all the time!
  • amanda_ataraxia
    amanda_ataraxia Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I agree with no deprivation. But, to satisfy my cravings I choose things that are even healthier. For example, I made a chocolate/banana/peanut butter smoothie (1tbsp cocoa, 1/2 of a banana, 2bsp PB2, 1/2 cup almond milk, handful of ice) instead of eating a Justin's all natural peanut butter cup.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Lol, the foods JM mentioned are processed and all have chemicals.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    lol product placement
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Without manging your intake, even having an 80% "good" and 20% "bad" diet could lead to weight gain.

It's still all about intake vs. output
  • cranberrycat
    cranberrycat Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I agree with her logic. I would probably not make it a "rule" to go 80/20, but if you DO end up eating something pleasing, at least make it something that is wholesome and somewhat nutrititious, and not fake.

And, make sure that the calories still fit within the calorie goal.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    But... for me the preservatives ARE the treat.

For me it's a moot point though because the treats I want and crave I'm allergic to... so I can't ever, ever, ever, EVER treat myself. ):
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    ... "and don't forget to pick up your copy of 30 Day Shred! Available at fine retailers everywhere!"
  • pinthin87
    pinthin87 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I love JM so I fully agree. The more FAKE food you get out of your diet the better!
  • A_New_Horizon
    A_New_Horizon Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    I do agree with her most of the time, and I do agree with this. BUT, I still have some processed foods including snickers. I just eat everything in moderation.
  • laurelderry
    laurelderry Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    That's awesome- I'm glad she's encouraging people to choose non processed foods! I also wouldn't be surprised if the foods she mentioned are companies that are endorsing her- but STILL, that's marketing, and I think for far too long people have been marketed "frankenfoods." It won't hurt anyone one bit to eat real food. Way to go JM! :)
  • laurelderry
    laurelderry Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I love JM so I fully agree. The more FAKE food you get out of your diet the better!

This!
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Agree with the logic. I commented on this on facebook earlier about the dessert Im making tonight, frangipane bites with coconut milk ice cream (there a spoonful of sugar split between both of them and thats it, nice unrefined muscavado), rest is eggs, nuts, vanilla and blueberries :)
  • LeellenMack
    LeellenMack Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Without manging your intake, even having an 80% "good" and 20% "bad" diet could lead to weight gain.

It's still all about intake vs. output

She says in her quote 80% of your calorie allowance, she's not saying to eat all you want as long as its 80/20. just clarifying :blushing: