Plain yogurt

Options
........What can I do with it? I mean its not TOO bad by itself. I just bought it to eat in place of ice cream but....-cough-
Anything I can put in it to make it more attractive? Would vanilla extract work or something?

Replies

• kfox15
    kfox15 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    You can use it any time you would have used sour cream. For example, I add dill and onion to make a veggie dip or cumin and garlic to make a taco dip. If you want something sweet try some berries and honey or vanilla.
  • aqua_girl
    aqua_girl Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I add a small handful of lightly salted nuts and a drizzle of honey. That way I get something that is salty, sweet, creamy and crunchy all in one treat
  • sandij80
    sandij80 Posts: 8
    Options
    I used to put vanilla extract and Splenda in plain yogurt, and it tasted just like vanilla yogurt. Maybe you could add fruit too, and possibly go smoothie-style in a blender with some ice. If you don't like the idea of Splenda, maybe stevia?
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    add a package of french onion dip to it and pronto you have a nice dip
  • ladytxn
    ladytxn Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I put half a packet of crystal light or other light drink mix. Really picks it up.
  • angiemartin78
    angiemartin78 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    These are some great ideas! Thanks for posting this!
  • jonski1968
    jonski1968 Posts: 4,498 Member
    Options
    Flavoured protein powder, nuts and cinnamon...
  • BigMech
    BigMech Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I mix in a little granola to give it some sweetness and crunch.

Fresh fruit works as well.

I also do PB2 powdered peanut butter and a few mini chocolate chips sometimes.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Cinnamon, vanilla extract, whatever flavor you favor!

Something that I eat for breakfast but would probably make a very satisfying dessert is refrigerator oatmeal. Equal portions of old fashioned oats and yogurt, add whatever flavorings you like, stir, let sit in fridge for a few hours, enjoy. You can whip up an instant batch with quick-cook oats as well.

A quarter-cup of each is something like 125-ish calories. Plus whatever calories your flavorings of choice add, of course! But you get to experiment with all sorts of flavors so you'll never lack for variety.
  • lolamwest
    lolamwest Posts: 40
    Options
    You can make tzatiki!!!! A greek dip that works great with pita bread, cooked meats, as a sald dressing substiutie, or a kabab marinade.

you will need:

1 medium tube of Fage yogurt (or any other plain yogurt that you enjoy) I use 0% Fage because it is nutritionally the best for you
    1 cup slicedPersian cucmbers (you can find these at Trader joe's for $2.49 for 6)
    The juice from one small lemon
    2 tbs of fresh chopped or dried dill
    1 teaspoon fresh garlic paste or garlic powder (optional)
    1 teaspoon cajun seasoning (optional)
    pepper to taste

To do:
    Slice 3 mini persian cucumbers in half vertically, then take each half and slice small semi circle pieces, set aside
    empty contents of PLAIN yogurt container into a mixing bowl, but keep the packaging container
    add lemon juice, garlic, cajun seasonings, and dill to yogurt, and mix
    Stir in your cup of cucmbers and enjoy.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I love yogurt and make smoothies with berries, banana, pineapple, or mangoes. 2 cups of fruit, two cups of yogurt, 1 cup of soy milk (what ever you like) Blend and add enough water to make two quarts. I add stevia or saccharin (which is less harmful than splenda or the EVIL aspartame.) I use it on baked potatoes and in stroganoff. If you heat it, you lose the probiotic effects.

I have recently discovered Greek yogurt which is very different from regular. Yum.
  • JellyButter
    JellyButter Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Woah, thanks guys. I does have a taste of sour cream. But I'm craving something sweet so I'm gonna try honey, splenda, all that good stuff.

THANKS.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I love yogurt and make smoothies with berries, banana, pineapple, or mangoes. 2 cups of fruit, two cups of yogurt, 1 cup of soy milk (what ever you like) Blend and add enough water to make two quarts. I add stevia or saccharin (which is less harmful than splenda or the EVIL aspartame.) I use it on baked potatoes and in stroganoff. If you heat it, you lose the probiotic effects.

I have recently discovered Greek yogurt which is very different from regular. Yum.

I forgot to say that 8 oz of the smoothie is less than 70 calories depending on the fruit.
  • colpol1
    colpol1 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I like jam with plain yoghurt, a teaspoon is usually enough and it really sweetens it up! I love lemon curd with it too, yummy..also lots of fruit is good! Especially strawberries.

It also works well as a cream as well? Well, it does for me anyway!
    Instead of cream on pavalova, meringue ect.. I will have yoghurt and its just as good.
  • lolamwest
    lolamwest Posts: 40
    Options
    I make sauces with my yogurt all the time. Last night I took four tablespoons of plain yogurt and mixed one tablespoon of spicy dijon mustard, and made a low calorie dipping saice for my chicken sausage. you can use the 4:1 ratio with balsalmic vinegar, honey mustard, or hummus to give your sandwiches and salads a creamy taste with much l;ess calories than dressing or mayo.

Also, you can make great smoothies with plain yogurt or enjoy it with granola, smashed berries, or 100% fruit jams.

As I already mentioned in the post above, For me, nothing beats a good plain greek yogurt. The tangy taste may take some getting used to, but it is extremely high in protein and it is so good for your digestive system.
  • findyourtempo
    Options
    1 cup yogurt, 2 packets of splenda or truvia, 1 cup of blueberries, strawberries, or raspberries, 8 grams of nuts, and a sprinkle of something crunchy--like cereal. I have it twice a day. It's as good as almost any dessert.

Yum! Yum!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    if you mix it with milk you can multiply it and create your own homemade flavors.
  • amtru2015
    amtru2015 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Try putting real maple syrup in it--yum!