how do you work out when it's too hot to move?

Options
2»

Replies

• microMXL
    microMXL Posts: 51
    Options
    I run at 5.30 am LOL
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I live in SC so it is in the 90's and above 4 months a year (started APRIL this year, WTH??). If you are an outdoorsy person, best is to get up at 6:30 on the morning to workout before the sun gets cranked up. Otherwise, drinks plenty of water and wear sunscreen. :glasses:
  • jppd47
    jppd47 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Im in CT. As much as I hate humidity, i just do it. Just got done doing weights for an hour in my tiny, is the same temp and conditions as outside, shed with a little fan. Meh, got to do it. I tell my self, at least its not baghdad again...

drink water, everyday! it will help. It takes 2-3 weeks to acclimate, so during a heat wave like this if you can't do it during the day, do it in the am or at night.
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I live in the Houston area and in the summer here, it's well over a 100 degrees and don't get me started on the humidity. You can bathe outside when it's not even raining.

Anyways, after I stupidly gained 100lbs during my first pregnancy, I knew the pain and suffering would come when taking it off. On June 1st (2008), I started the first 2 months of exercise (HIIT for me which was pretty slow) on my treadmill in the garage with the door down while the baby was sleeping.

The after picture was 6 months after the before (7 months postpartum)

essq3a.jpg
  • twinmom14ek
    twinmom14ek Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I had an ah-ha moment a couple years ago--did you know the coolest part of the 24-hour day is right before the sun rises? For years I thought it got coolest in the evening to late-night (from 9 pm to around midnight or 1)...go figure; I didn't spend a lot of time outside at those times to know. I signed up for an evening 5K in June in NC, and as the race approached I realized that it was only going to cool off to about 94 degrees from a high of 99 by the time the race started. When you consider that, 75 degrees at 5 am doesn't seem so bad!

When you have very high relative humidity, the dew point is higher, so expect the air to be a bit soupy if you work out early on humid days...but I figure that's still better than high humidity AND heat. Plus, you get your workout done early and can relax in the evening!
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    The other day it was 95 degrees and probably 70% to 80% humidity. You were sweating just to step outside. We went for a 7.5 mile bike ride. I was drenched by the end, but it was nice and cool WHILE riding because of the wind.
  • ahoag_83
    ahoag_83 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Either wait until evening time or get up early and exercise before it gets too warm. I hate running in the heat and it's hard to breathe, but it's gotta be done! I ran at 8pm when it was still 85 out and 75% humidity.
  • wildcata77
    wildcata77 Posts: 660
    Options
    Make cleaning work...I fold laundry by dumping it all on the floor, then bending down to pick up each piece, fold, bend down again to put it in a pile. I deep clean something like the baseboards or hand mop the floor. Stretch or do a yoga video...it doesn't take a lot of space/equipment to do that.