Running: Treadmill vs outside

Options
Jacole18
Jacole18 Posts: 716 Member
I have been offered the job of a lifetime, but it requires that I pass a physical fitness test that I must continue to pass every 6 months. Anywho, one of the tests is a 1.5 mile run in 16 min and 35 seconds. I timed myself yesterday on the treadmill, and I fell a little short....(in that time, I did 1.32 miles). I was soliciting advice from co workers who are used to running, and they both told me to not practice my runs on a treadmill at the gym because it's completely different than running outside. I'm a beginner runner, so what do they mean? Will it not do me any good to practice my running at the gym? Running outside right now is pretty out of the question unless I do it in the middle of the night....it's AZ in the summer which means 115 degrees plus with crazy humidity.....Thanks for reading....looking forward to some answers....sorry so long LOL

Replies

• kayakinggrrl
    kayakinggrrl Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    This is just my own experience but I find the treadmill much more challenging that running outdoors. The treadmill forces me to keep a steady pace, even if it's faster than my usual slow plodding jog. When I am outside, I fall into my usual pace and start enjoying the scenery, etc.

The only time that the outdoors is more challenging is when I encounter a hill. But a treadmill can simulate a hill.

It sounds like the treadmill is your only realistic option due to the AZ heat. Maybe you can up the pace some on the treadmill and then if a cooler (I know it's relative) evening comes along, you can give an outdoor run a try to see how you do.
  • bsharrah
    bsharrah Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    They are correct. Running on a treadmill will not be the same as outside, and running 1.5 miles on a treadmill won't mean you will be able to do it when it counts.

I suggest skip the treadmill and just run outside, early in the morning. Try the C25K program.

Treadmills will help your cardio which is half the battle, but it will not condition your leg muscles the same way.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Running outside is a whole different beast.

Personally, I run faster, more easily, outside than on a treadmill. It's unnatural to keep one EXACT steady pace the whole duration of a run. When you're running outside, you go a little faster, then a little slower, as needed. In my case, that evens out to a much faster average pace than when I run on a treadmill. I can easily run one mile in under 8 minutes outside, but if I try running at an 8 minute mile pace on the treadmill, I'm ready to fall off after three minutes!

That's not to say you can't improve on a treadmill. Try adjusting the speed as you run. Start off at your normal pace, then bump it up a little for a minute, and depending on how you're feeling bump it up a little bit more for another minute, or back down a little slower, and keep adjusting it.
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I can run faster and further on a treadmill than outside, I have no idea why. I would suggest downloading C25K (couch to 5K), it eases you into running. I love the program.
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    i prefer running outside because, well, let's face it, i've fallen off in public. TWICE. besides, i feel like a hamster on one. i love a good gym workout (running around indoor track, weights, elliptical), but for a good run, i prefer having nature around me.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Set the treadmill incline to 1 or 2% to account for the fact that it's slightly easier. Run outside if and when you can, just to get a feel for it. It is indeed a bit different. Don't worry, you'll be fine.
  • Lisseth03
    Lisseth03 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    i'm curious, what is the job of a lifetime that requires this?
    I myself just started running outside, and I find it is a bit harder (for me) but a lot more enjoyable
    but obviously everyone is different.
  • TaintedVampyre
    TaintedVampyre Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Test the theory and run outside and you'll feel a lot less resistance.
  • SmallMimi
    SmallMimi Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Is there an indoor track available in your area?
  • recoiljpr
    recoiljpr Posts: 292
    Options
    Running outside is totally different. You have changes in elevation, wind, temperature, etc when running outside. I personally cannot stand running on a treadmill due to the pacing of the treadmill. When running outside your body will fall into it's own rhythmic pacing that it's comfortable with.

When I first started running a few years ago I started on a treadmill. My first time outside after that was a huge eye opener for me. Now, I only run on a treadmill when I have to, all other times I run outdoors.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I have been offered the job of a lifetime, but it requires that I pass a physical fitness test that I must continue to pass every 6 months. Anywho, one of the tests is a 1.5 mile run in 16 min and 35 seconds. I timed myself yesterday on the treadmill, and I fell a little short....(in that time, I did 1.32 miles). I was soliciting advice from co workers who are used to running, and they both told me to not practice my runs on a treadmill at the gym because it's completely different than running outside. I'm a beginner runner, so what do they mean? Will it not do me any good to practice my running at the gym? Running outside right now is pretty out of the question unless I do it in the middle of the night....it's AZ in the summer which means 115 degrees plus with crazy humidity.....Thanks for reading....looking forward to some answers....sorry so long LOL

OP I am wondering how they will test you, if it is on a treadmill, you will be well away! Stick the treadmill (in your training) on a slight incline, this will mimic ourdoors more than if you just leave the treadmill on "flat".

11:04 minute per mile is what you need - 5.5mph (8.8kph).

However, never settle (in your training) for the bare minimum, aim for higher, that way if you fall short, you still attain what you need.

If you manage to run 1.5 miles at 6mph, that will be 15 minutes, well within what you need.

All the very best OP! Fingers crossed for you. How long do you have until that test?
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Dreadmills are often mis-calibrated so the speed/distance may well be off.

If your fitness test or race is on the pavement, then you should train on the pavement. Try to sneak out for an early morning run once or twice a sneak. Supplement with the dreadmill as needed.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    Running outside IS different from treadmill running. If you MUST train on a treadmill, do so at a slight incline.

But I would strongly suggest training outside. :)
  • Richard323
    Richard323 Posts: 21
    Options
    Heres the problem, outdoors if your running, the ground is highly unlevel, unless your running on pavement in which case a treadmill would simulate that just fine. The real downfall is heat causes you to tire very quickly, if your fitness test requires you to run outdoors and is renewed every 6 months, well then the weather may not be in your favor. Which means you'll need to start running in the heat to simulate the situations your going to face come time for your fitness test, or risk not being adjusted to the heat and fail your test. Being in the heat isn't a huge problem providing you stay hydrated well, and don't make it more than a half hour run 15 out and 15 minutes back I don't see why you'd have any problems with that.
  • turningstar
    turningstar Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    They are correct. For most people, running on a treadmill is easier because you don't have to propel your body forward. The belt moves, and you just keep your legs pumping fast enough to stay on. I would still run on the treadmill if it isn't an option to run outside. You can always up the speed or bump up the incline on the treadmill to simulate outdoor running. When you get an opportunity to run outdoors, I do encourage it. Its a nice change up!
    Good luck with getting your job!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I do both. I do short runs (3 miles or less) on treadmill during the week and long runs (more than 3 miles) on outdoor trails early in the morning on the weekend. It's kind of hard to run outside this time of year in AZ. Depending on where you are, it can be hot outside 24 hours a day. Where/how will you be tested? Try to train in conditions that are similar to the test if possible. I see nothing wrong with training on treadmill part of the time for convenience, as long as you are also getting in some runs in the testing conditions too. Good luck.
  • Run4Health66
    Options
    Running outside is a different dynamic than running on a treadmill. Here is an article to read that might help you http://askcoachjenny.runnersworld.com/2010/12/1062.html
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Running outside right now is pretty out of the question unless I do it in the middle of the night....it's AZ in the summer which means 115 degrees plus with crazy humidity.....Thanks for reading....looking forward to some answers....sorry so long LOL

Question. When and where is the test?

When I train for a race to try to match the conditions as much as possible. If the test is out in the heat you might as well get used to it.
  • ouchristie
    Options
    I run on the treadmill during the winter and at night on the week days (because of kid reasons), usually 60-90 minutes, averaging 7-10 miles per run. So when I do get to run outside on the weekends or right now I can go at night because it stays lighter longer, I feel I run so much better after training on a treadmill. The treadmill forces me to keep my pace and really kicks my butt. I feel lighter and faster outside because of how I have performed on the treadmill. Is your test on a treadmill or outside? You can do it!!!
  • Jacole18
    Jacole18 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    i'm curious, what is the job of a lifetime that requires this?
    I myself just started running outside, and I find it is a bit harder (for me) but a lot more enjoyable
    but obviously everyone is different.
    I am a Sergeant for the AZ Department of Corrections. The academy Commander offered me a job to be an academy Sergeant, which I have always dreamed of doing. The job requires strong physical fitness skills and the ability to train and motivate new cadets.