anyone use/recommend diet aids?

Options
What do you think of diet aids? Things like
Protein shakes
Slim Fast (meal replacement)
Full bars
Diet pills (slim quick, adipex, dexatrim)

Since Jan 1st I've done 1200 calories, nothing white, absolutely no junk, all veggies n fresh fruits leans meats (chicken n fish) exercise 1 hour a.m. 1 hour p.m. walk walk walk in between drink ONLY water at least 80 oz a day. Thyroid has been under control and no other medications to cause weight.

And haven't lost a single pound.
Does anyone know the success or recommend use of ANY of these products? Have you or do you use them?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You ever consider you aren't eating enough?

ps- do you have hypothyroidism or just that it's normal?
  • mmarin81
    mmarin81 Posts: 241
    Options
    I always have a protein shake after my workouts to aid in muscle repair but I agree with the first reply, I would suggest uppong your cals a bit. Maybe around 1500.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    Diet pills scare me. I worry they will make my heart stop or explode (which would be equally bad).

I also do the protein shake after a workout for muscle recovery, but not usually in place of a meal.

How tall are you and what do you have your weekly weight loss goal set to?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    BTW, based on your ticker you should be aiming for 1 lb per week weight loss. And you should eat back at least 50% of your exercise calories. You need to fuel your body to lose weight.

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.
  • knay112
    knay112 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have no idea, and I can't peek at your diary to see if you're doing something wrong...
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I know at least one person that has had success losing with most of the products you mention, except the protein shakes, but the only person I know that drinks protein shakes does it for bodybuilding not weight loss. But none of the people I know who used these things to lose kept it off. The problem is that these are "aids", and once you stop getting the aid, you haven't learned what you need to live at a healthy weight.

Is the 1200 calories net or total. Depending on how petite you are, you might need to eat more, but it doesn't seem there is a reason that you shouldn't have lost weight. Eating too little for an extended period of time can slow weight loss, but it doesn't prevent it and in the beginning you should have lost.

How sure are you of your calorie counts, both eaten and burned through exercise? Do you measure, and if so, have you lost any inches?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    You need to fuel your body to lose weight.

I think there are a lot of starving people in the world that would argue this point.
  • stfuriada
    stfuriada Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Unless you have problems meeting your nutritional goals, supplements arent necessary.

Personally, I sometimes have a hard time hitting my protein goals, so I take protein shakes, but ONLY WHEN NEEDED.

Real food > supplements.
  • fluffyknitter
    Options
    I think you have provided a reply to a question I was going to ask. I have 13 more lbs to lose. I have been eating 1200 cals a day to set it to lose 2lbs per week. I do approx min 500+ cals of cardio exercise per day and I am always under my cals for the end of each day, average 1600 under per week at least.
    But ti week I gained a lb and last week I gained too.
    How can that be? And what am I doing wrong that I can rectify?
    Need help please as I am so disappointed to have gained this week after stepping up my exercise and going spinning on top of my usual workouts.
    :(
    Thanks for any advice.
  • DebbieMc3
    DebbieMc3 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    If you are doing that, unless there is a medical issue, you are probably not eating enough. Try to increase your calories to about 1500 for a month and see what happens.
    Diet aids don't make you lose weight. They make you not eat. You are saying that you are already being perfect so they will not help you.
    Also, if you open your diary, and log every bite, we can be moew helpful.

Debbie
  • mmreed
    mmreed Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I follow:

make sure to not go below my BMR after adding in exercise burns (this is tough at times because you THINK you may be eating too much)

drink more water

I take lipo6x from nutrex.com

weight train 3x a week followed by cardio

once or twice a week I do HIIT cardio on no weight days

Eat more natural - no prepack foods - watch Forks over Knives (www.forksoverknives.com)

Patience - my biggest obstacle!!! hahaha
  • herownkindofwonderfull
    herownkindofwonderfull Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    UNDEREATING...

calculate your BMR.
    eat OVER it.

basically, calculate your TDEE... take that number, and subtract 500 to lose about 1 lb a week.

MFP is not made for each individual. we are all different, and have specific needs nutritionally. Your TDEE is the amt of calories you need to KEEP your current weight. Anything below is a deficit.

Anything under your BMR can make you gain wait, and even cause serious health problems.

Also, eat back exercise calories. And take REST DAYS.

PS: the poster above me has it straight. take that advice!!! you don't NEED supplements. But I would suggest using protein supplements if you can't get enough in your diet.. ESPECIALLY if weight training. And water... drink TONS of it. For example, I drink anywhere from 10-18 glasses a day. I also use Lipo6 on occasion, but in cycles. I only use it to target fat loss, more specifically. And again, in 1-2 month cycles. Your body needs a rest.
  • lil_bit_crazy
    lil_bit_crazy Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Ok I installed the app on my cell so I can track my food/liquid.
    I am hypothyroid (since I was 14) and keep a VERY close watch on my tsh free T3 and free T4 levels. They are all well in normal ranges. I am 5'2 ½ inches and looking to drop between 35-40 pounds to get into the "not overweight" range according to the "height weight BMI charts.

Last year I was doing the 1500 calories and steadily increased ...so I thought I'm eating too many or not measuring right. Since Jan this year I've been diligent about measuring and tracking calories and keeping away from junk. Although I've not gained, I can't lose.

My doctor thinks I'm an idiot. She more or less said "join weight watchers. Buy a measuring cup. Don't drink juice it can raise your blood sugar." And walked out. I have no issue with sugar diabetes or insulin of any kind.
    I'm frustrated and mad and tired of being this size. I move, walk, sweat, feel like I starve, and can't fit in any of my clothes for her to basically ignore my concerns and feelings.

I am still unable to run or do heavy cardio because of my ACL repair (may 10) but I am MONTHS ahead of schedule per therapy.

I do have an appt with a nutritionist and bariatric (not for surgery just for advice) next Thurs.
    My husband says he loves me and he thinks I'm not fat. He's happy. But when my 13 yr old calls me "biggun " it doesn't feel good.

Sorry for the rant. Hope I got all questions filled in...if not lemme know!
    :D
  • 70davis
    70davis Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I can't see what you eat, but try upping your protein, and lowering your carbs, a lot of people on here can't lose weight if they are eating the average amount of carbs a regular person should be eating. It was worked wonders for some people who have been stalled forever with doing what you are doing.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Sorry for your struggles, but good for you for going to a nutrionist. That may really help answer some things for you.

I follow the guidelines on fat2fitradio.com. It's really working for me - I would suggest checking it out.

As far as pills and such go.....no. The most I recommend is a protein shake before or after a workout. Or a protein bar now and then (had one for breakfast today since I was in a hurry!). But not as a lifestyle. Food can provide everything we need, so there is no reason to exist on shakes and such. And pills can just plain be scary.

Good luck at the nutritionist!!
  • lil_bit_crazy
    lil_bit_crazy Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Ok I unlocked the whatchamacallit so y'all can peek at my food. I will TRY to log everything I eat, but don't shoot me if I forget a cracker or something!
    I think if I seen ANY results I wouldn't be so discouraged. I've been near killing myself working out, walking, watching and measuring every bite....to get nowhere is just, well...painful. At least if a drop a couple pounds I'll know I'm heading in the right direction.
  • trishtay1
    trishtay1 Posts: 3
    Options
    I actually have taken phentermine since april 24, i also do slimfast shakes a few times a week
  • diadora95
    diadora95 Posts: 9
    Options
    I've taken two different types of diet pills. They don't work. The only one that does is Alli. And it doesn't work as fast as most would like and it also requires diet and exercise. I've used Phenocal and a green tea based one.