Improper wording...... i mean.... really....

Options
cyn4him
cyn4him Posts: 83 Member
Ok. I have no doubt that there are others who have seen this and had the urge to correct... I don't correct as I know that noone is perfect. But just a couple of peeves that I only face on weight loss forums.

1. I do not want to "loose" weight. I want to lose it. I do want my pants to become loose though....

2. A pound is a pound. A pound of fat weighs 1 pound. A pound of muscle weighs 1 pound.......
A pound of muscle is smaller than a pound of fat though....

3. I saw this one and just giggled... "An ounce of water weighs about an ounce I think."
Yes... why I think an ounce just might weigh an ounce... hmmm...

ANYWAY.....Guess this is what happens when you marry an English major and get corrected for a few years.

Would love to hear some others if you all would be so kind as to share. Might make me smile a little.

Replies

• cyn4him
    Options
    No one???
  • kathym42
    kathym42 Posts: 26
    Options
    Funny thing about your post...noone isn't a word and you used it in your description of your pet peeves about others grammar
  • cyn4him
    Options
    I know. I caught it after I did it. Oops. Lol. Miss that space regularly.
  • HellsKells
    HellsKells Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Funny thing about your post...noone isn't a word and you used it in your description of your pet peeves about others grammar

others'
  • BostonMatt
    BostonMatt Posts: 258
    Options
    It drives me crazy when people put more than one period at the end of a sentence..... Just one please.
  • halobender
    halobender Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    3. I saw this one and just giggled... "An ounce of water weighs about an ounce I think."
    Yes... why I think an ounce just might weigh an ounce... hmmm...
    I giggled at this because an ounce of water does, actually, only weigh about an ounce.

One fluid ounce of water weighs 1.043 dry ounces; fluid ounces are different from dry ounces.
  • kathym42
    Options
    Yes but I'm not the grammar police so I can make mistakes. It was a very minor one.
  • kathym42
    Options
    :smile:
  • beccaboo0713
    Options
    It drives me crazy when people put more than one period at the end of a sentence..... Just one please.

Well, if it's three periods then it's an ellipsis, which is an actual punctuation. It's just that a lot of people use it wrong.
  • HellsKells
    Options
    Yes but I'm not the grammar police so I can make mistakes. It was a very minor one.

so was the one you pointed out. :wink:
  • cyn4him
    Options
    I think this falls in with no one is perfect. Lol. Mostly was referring to the very common things I have seen on many weight loss and fitness sites. Said it here like this because I am not going to correct or attack anyone directly..... but I am curious of other things like this that people have noticed.
  • abetterjune
    abetterjune Posts: 219
    Options
    This isn't gramatical. Nor does it annoy me. In fact I love how my son says "Did you put finach in my foothie?" instead of spinach and smoothie. hah.
  • kathym42
    Options
    I only pointed it put because that was what she was complaining about...otherwise I wouldn't have said a word
  • HellsKells
    Options
    The ones I see the most are the ones that confuse:

Your/You're
    Their/There/They're
    Than/Then
    Affect/Effect
  • tistal
    tistal Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Do. Not. Care.
  • OhKelsey1
    OhKelsey1 Posts: 139
    Options
    I'm a writer, so if you get me started on grammar pet peeves, I'll never stop! However, the one that currently kills me the most is "use to" and "suppose to" in place of "used to" and "supposed to." I just can't take it!
  • kathym42
    Options
    I only pointed it put because that was what she was complaining about...otherwise I wouldn't have said a word
  • halobender
    halobender Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    the one that currently kills me the most is "use to" and "suppose to" in place of "used to" and "supposed to." I just can't take it!
    Those crush my soul a little, as well.
  • jkt69
    jkt69 Posts: 11
    Options
    This isn't gramatical. Nor does it annoy me. In fact I love how my son says "Did you put finach in my foothie?" instead of spinach and smoothie. hah.

My boy calls them floozies not smoothies :)
  • FlyByJuly
    FlyByJuly Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    nevermind!