Wow...

Options
There has to be thousands of people that use MFP and I asked a question about what shoes might be a good choice for walking and I got "1" reply. Amazing.

Replies

• BostonMatt
    BostonMatt Posts: 258
    Options
    Go back into the post and hit bump. That will put it to the top. Also, it's possible the one response was all that was needed. I'll go find it and take a look.
  • Epetrovitch
    Epetrovitch Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I'd reccomend going to a running store and have them set you up with a pair of shoes. If you are going to be doing alot of walking and you are increasing your times and pace a specialty running store is your best bet. They can determine how your foot strikes and reccomend a pair of shoes. The prices are comparable to what you'll pay at a sporting goods store like ****s or Sport Authority but I found that they are much more knowledgable and willing to spend the time to put you in a shoe that is right.
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    A lot of posts get overlooked, don't take it personally.

I would go to a running store. If you have "The running room" where you are then that would be awesome. They will fit you with something best for your feet, weight, walk etc
  • kellycdowney
    Options
    I suggest going to a New Balance store. They take the time to find the right shoes for you. I just got my second pair from there and they are durable and comfortable. I also got some arch supporting inserts that are so comfortable I feel like I'm waking on air. I walk and do c25k for exercise as well as work two retail jobs that keep me on my feet all day and have never had problems with my New Balances. To me, the trip to the store to be properly fitted made all the difference. I hope this helps!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Found the post, and the question was asked and answered to perfection almost immediately. Anybody else clicking on it would have moved on instead of typing "^^^^^^this^^^^^"
  • Laurej
    Laurej Posts: 227
    Options
    I'd reccomend going to a running store and have them set you up with a pair of shoes. If you are going to be doing alot of walking and you are increasing your times and pace a specialty running store is your best bet. They can determine how your foot strikes and reccomend a pair of shoes. The prices are comparable to what you'll pay at a sporting goods store like ****s or Sport Authority but I found that they are much more knowledgable and willing to spend the time to put you in a shoe that is right.

^ this but make sure it's a GOOD running shoe store ( like fleet feet if u have them in your area) . Plus unlike sports authority, most really good running shoe stores will have a 30-60 day return policy with any amount of running.

This is a really big plus because I don't know how many times I've run / jogged around the store and was sure I had a good fit, but once I got on the trail for anything over 3 miles it was obvious they were not the right shoes 4 me.

Sports Authority assured me they take shoes back but after one 3 mile run with my last shoes, I took them back and all of a sudden they were like nooo we only accept returns if they show no wear whatsoever ie indoor running only. wasted 60 bucks and then had to go to fleet feet and find the right ones.
  • SaltyNovice
    SaltyNovice Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert and I just found this site tonight. But I have done a great deal of running in my life and I'm now mostly walking. I'm using a couple of different shoes. A Nike running shoe and a "New Balance" shoe. The NB shoes seem to be a whole lot lighter to me and a favorite of mine for years. I'm not a "serious" runner, but I've been known to go a few 10k's in my day. SaltyNovice
  • juliekat1955
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I don't have any local shoe stores unless you consider Famous Footwear one. I kind of don't count it because the girls working there gave me a blank stare a couple of weeks ago and started showing me sandal type shoes. I live in a small northern Nevada town and the closest good shopping would be Salt Lake City which is 3.5 hours one way. I shop online alot and read alot of reviews but sometimes they can be really confusing. Especially if you are reading negative and positive on same shoe. I was looking at Nike Lunarglide--but is that more of a running shoe? Then I looked at New Balance ww895, mixed reviews on that one too. I usually order from Zappo's but wanted a few bits of advice from people on here first, hence the reason for my post.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    get a pair of Asics! they are awesome for both walking and running.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,020 Member
    Options
    New Balance is good if you have normal to high arches and regular to wide feet. If you have narrower feet and lower arches, Nike.

I used to like Reeboks, until I found New Balance more to my liking. You may have to go through a few brands. They only last for a few months of 3-5 times a week walking, even if they fit perfectly.
  • missfelicia6
    missfelicia6 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    It's a topic that you really can't get help with online. I think shoes are very important and different for everyone.

It depends on the shape of your foot and the way you walk. I walk heavier on my left leg, so that shoe gets worn faster.

I think maybe you should go to a sporting goods store and ask the shoe sales person to help find the perfect shoe for your feet :)

Good luck
  • 9jenn9
    9jenn9 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    One piece of advice if you're not going to try on the shoes before buying: Buy at least a half size larger than you normally buy in a regular shoe. LOTS OF FOOT PROBLEMS happen from shoes that are too tight. From black toenails (from nail bumping into end of shoe) to neuromas (pinched nerve in ball of foot) so many problems can occur from ill fitting shoes! I know it's a ride to get to decent shopping, but it might be worth it to go to a running store for a proper fit into your shoe of choice. Once you know the make, model and size that will work for you, you can order replacement shoes online. PLEASE DON'T SKIMP ON A GOOD SHOE!
  • missikay1970
    missikay1970 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    go to Fleet Feet.

also, some people do a SEARCH and find answers to questions already posed in previous posts. don't take it personally :smile: the question about shoes gets asked alot.