Improper wording...... i mean.... really....

Options

Replies

• kaylurzz
    kaylurzz Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Lose and loose drive me crazy!

Same with your and you're and there, their, and they're . URKS ME SO MUCH!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    oh.. but i do want to loose my weight..

i want to go out into the world, sew its wild oats, raise some hell, gain some maturity in the process and eventually settle down with someone else's loosed weight and then have fat fat babies
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    No one???
    When people say muscle weighs more than fat, they are correct.
    A gallon of muscle weighs more than a gallon of fat.
    Muscle weighs more BY VOLUME.
    People do not always say it right, but that is what they mean.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    It drives me crazy when people put more than one period at the end of a sentence..... Just one please.

Well, if it's three periods then it's an ellipsis, which is an actual punctuation. It's just that a lot of people use it wrong.

I do this. I use it wrong all the time.

But, I do it because I want to emphasize the pause in thought, more than a period would. I do this in conversational writing like forums or tweets. I would not do it in a professional setting.
  • kathym42
    kathym42 Posts: 26
    Options
    lol, do you mean IRKS you so much? :laugh:
  • Absidey
    Absidey Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    So many grammar nazis! Where are the punctuation dictators? /sigh

In all seriousness, though, I HATE "set" in place of "sit." It seems to be really common in the south, but I never noticed it in CA, NV, WY, or ID.
  • kathym42
    Options
    Lose and loose drive me crazy!

Same with your and you're and there, their, and they're . URKS ME SO MUCH!

lol, do you mean IRKS you so much? :laugh:
  • kathym42
    Options
    Yes but I'm not the grammar police so I can make mistakes. It was a very minor one.

so was the one you pointed out. :wink:

I only pointed it put because that was what she was complaining about...otherwise I wouldn't have said a word
  • Sassy922
    Sassy922 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    It drives me crazy when people put more than one period at the end of a sentence..... Just one please.

excess periods don't bother me, but for some reason I've been seeing ,,,,, a lot lately and that makes me stabby. at first I thought it was a typo, but I see it more and more.

also I have a friend on fb that...types her status...like this and random "..." in the middle....of her sentences.
  • StarkLark
    StarkLark Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    3. I saw this one and just giggled... "An ounce of water weighs about an ounce I think."
    Yes... why I think an ounce just might weigh an ounce... hmmm...
    I giggled at this because an ounce of water does, actually, only weigh about an ounce.

One fluid ounce of water weighs 1.043 dry ounces; fluid ounces are different from dry ounces.
    Came here to say this! :laugh: :laugh:
  • kritterxx
    kritterxx Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    have to agree about the 'loose' thing, that does drive me slightly insane.
  • utahgirl247
    utahgirl247 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    we are who we are and it is what it is. . . that being said, this post giggled me!!
  • angeldaae
    angeldaae Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Your English major husband would be horrified at your improper and excessive use of ellipses.
  • Awake_Alive
    Awake_Alive Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I use the ellipsis improperly all the time, and I'm okay with that. :) I type the way I think, and God knows I don't think properly!

THEN. That's my pet peeve. "I'm smaller then I was a week ago."
  • beth_816
    beth_816 Posts: 19
    Options
    Come on people. We're grown ups, right?
    Use your words. LOL?? NOT a word.
  • amsohs85
    amsohs85 Posts: 166
    Options
    I'm a writer, so if you get me started on grammar pet peeves, I'll never stop! However, the one that currently kills me the most is "use to" and "suppose to" in place of "used to" and "supposed to." I just can't take it!

Fellow writer here and what's even funnier is the fact that people say "use to" and "suppose to"! Seriously i have heard it with my own two ears!! :tongue:
  • ElaneyDay
    ElaneyDay Posts: 6
    Options
    A LOT. I want to lose a lot of weight.

ALOT is an imaginary creature that looks like a cross between a bear, a yak and a pug.

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/04/alot-is-better-than-you-at-everything.html
  • Dayna5K
    Dayna5K Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    The....is great! Its the trail off....dramatic affect! :)
  • TeenaMarina
    TeenaMarina Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I absolutely cannot stand it when people type on here like they're texting. Especially when they're grown-ups and should know better. It makes people sound ignorant.
  • amsohs85
    amsohs85 Posts: 166
    Options
    This isn't gramatical. Nor does it annoy me. In fact I love how my son says "Did you put finach in my foothie?" instead of spinach and smoothie. hah.

My boy calls them floozies not smoothies :)

My niece used to call Slurpees "herpees". I found it amusing but no one else in the 7-11 did! :ohwell: