what helped you??

Options
There is obviously tons of weight loss on here. I was just wondering if there was anything in particular that you think REALLY helped with your loss? Specific foods or exercises? Tricks and tips? Thanks :)

Replies

• Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Logging all food and being honest about the portions.
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Forgiving myself for getting so fat in the first place and believing I was worth the effort to lose it.
  • Romans624
    Romans624 Posts: 822
    Options
    Meeting my needs through protein first, then vegetables. Avoiding processed food, sugar, and a lot of carbs is making me lose pretty quickly (but only if I stick to that). Also thinking about how much better off I'll be once I'm at least near my goal size/wt
  • mpaoce
    mpaoce Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    This is super specific but I found that my weakest times were late afternoon before and while I was cooking dinner. I would snack on junk then on all the dinner ingredients and not be hungry by dinner but eat anyway. I found that I could snack on celery or red peppers with tzatziki, a Greek cucumber yogurt dip (spelled incorrectly). It gave my mouth and hands something to do with few calories and great nutrition. If you have a particularly bad time of day or food choice, try to find a healthy substitute.
  • onewhodiets
    onewhodiets Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Jamieson chewy chocolate vitamin D gave me a little bit of yummy chocolate to look forward to every day. They are very few calories and, of course, you can't eat more than one a day or you'd overdose on vitamin D, so it is safe chocolate to have around the house.

Also having like-minded people around to go with for walks is very helpful.:smile:
  • imissbagels
    imissbagels Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    thanks for the advice!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options

Yep. And learning that things I thought were fattening sometimes weren't, and things I thought were low cal weren't. I actually wrote about it on my Psych Today blog: https://my.psychologytoday.com/blog/thinking-about-kids/201206/achieving-healthy-weight-part-i-thousand-small-decisions

REALLY IMPORTANT FOR ME: I learned that if I ate until I was half full and waited an hour, I would often find myself stuffed. And, over time, I found if I ate until I WAS full, I felt yucky and bloated later.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Pre-plan all of my food every single day (on the night before). i did this for several months before I "got the hang" of how to eat.
  • dvnjustina
    dvnjustina Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Had a baby. No, really! I lost a net of 15 pounds during my pregnancy. Being pregnant taught me how to eat much more healthier, which helps me out now.
  • DrJanet98
    DrJanet98 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Log religiously, as honestly as you can, and don't restrict too much. I seem to lose better if I eat around my calorie goal (set for a pound and a half a week). Now, since I sometimes don't eat all my calories, that means that I have to eat above goal sometimes, too! And yes, that seems to be the order it goes in most times....I just don't get around to all the calories some days, which means that I get to indulge a bit for things like club meetings and parties. Likewise, if I do eat above, I often find that I don't feel like eating as much later in the week. Doesn't always work that way, but most of the time it does!
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Allowing myself to do the best I can and accepting my imperfections. Finally being pleased with where I'm at and not wishing I was thinner, prettier, healthier etc.and instead relaxing, enjoying and being comfortable in my body.
  • DrJanet98
    DrJanet98 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Keep healthy snacks handy. My desk drawer now contains cashews, soup, fruit cups, and healthy crackers. In the fridge at work, I have Grilled Essentials or Trader Joe's single-chicken-breasts that can be warmed up in a minute or two, and in the freezer I try to keep a few Lean Cuisines and a couple of multigrain cereal bowls (also from TJ). People bring donuts, cakes, cookies, etc to work, I won't eat it just because I'm hungry and it's handy. If I do choose to eat some of that stuff, I choose how much to eat and take the time to appreciate it!
  • mrk34
    mrk34 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Understanding that weight loss could be achieved without exercise, and without being hungry helped me a lot.

Routine of weighting myself twice a day. First thing in the morning and the second time when I come back from work. I keep writing those two sets of numbers on my calendar.

As for the food, I think chicken Caesar salad with cheese removed, and apples have been the most helpful in my case.
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    Besides walking I have not done alot of exercising lately....I have been losing weight right & left.
    Weightloss is 70 % diet

I just stopped eating anything processed, pre-made, or fast foods!! I make everything from scratch. I eat clean and I have lost 35-40 pounds since March 10th or so.
    I am so careful I don't eat starchy foods potatoes, corn or carrots. I shred my own cheese. I don't eat fat free dairy. 2% is the lowest. I eat lean meats. I want my protein between 100 -125. I snack on wasa crackers 30 calories for 1 big cracker.
    I eat a little real butter. I love raw almonds, & avocado the good fats. I use the glycemic index to pick foods to eat.
    I drink lots & lots of water.
    I pass on most breads, & pasta. I can't eat them and lose weight.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Pre-plan all of my food every single day (on the night before). i did this for several months before I "got the hang" of how to eat.

That's exactly what's helping me. I write my food plan the night before based on what I know is in the refrigerator and pantry so I don't stray.

I also measure all portions. When I eyeball foods I'm usually off and those extra calories make a big difference in my weight loss.
  • hothodgie
    hothodgie Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    This time around, not going on a "diet". Just eating better, but still allowing a treat occasionally. I learned to not beat myself up if I have a bad day. Tomorrow is a new day and I WILL do better. Everything in moderation is my key to happiness now. For the first time, I am NOT craving sweets. I love donuts and cookies, but I have managed to not have them and its not bothering me when they are around. I used to really struggle with that, but I think its different because this time, I can if I want to. I just don't though. Also I am loving eating. I have starved myself in the past only to regain it all back eventually. No more.

Also, a HUGE motivator for me is photographing my progress. I cannot stress how much this has kept me returning to the gym. In the past, I usually made it to the gym twice a week for about two months max. This time, I am going at least 5 days a week, sometimes more and have been for the past month. And I owe it all to that first picture and the two pictures after. And the really crazy thing? I LOVE IT!! Who would have thought??
  • ZoeyRobinson
    ZoeyRobinson Posts: 301
    Options
    Working out hours a day. Eating only veggies. LOL complete deprivation and commitment.

I have recently knocked it off so we shall see what happens.
  • OSC_ESD
    OSC_ESD Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    ~ Learning to love myself and put my health first ... with that came an amazing journey of changing everything about my life that was a bit off ... starting with my nutrition ... it was a path I chose to create along the way and what an amazing stroll it has turned out to be !

Life is good ! :flowerforyou:
  • Byrdsong1920
    Byrdsong1920 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I agree w/the first comment made after yours..
    1. Log everything you eat...I often text myself if I cant get to my app. Then add the food later
    2. Measure all you eat-this way you start to visually learn serving sizes and portion control
    3.I pack my food cooler daily. I'm a Realtor, so always on the move and in meetings! This way I eat what I brought-which is healthy and I know whats in the food. Fast food spots load stuff w/sodium and preservatives! It also helps me save a boat-load of $$ by making and bringing my own food. Prepare it the nite before so you dont have to spend a lot of time in the morning preparing and you can sleep in!
    4. Log your food the day before if possible. Helps you prepare so you dont go over on your readings.
    5. Give yourself a treat! this is a lifestyle,not a crash diet. Plan for that favorite dessert or restaurant you love. JUST DONT BRING IT HOME. Go out to eat and leave the left overs.Maybe take a friend and share a dish. Great portion control,then you have room for dessert. Most places give you wayyy too much food; so sharing is great!
    6. Vary your cardio workouts.My gym offers pilates, yoga, swim classes, etc. This way your body is always working at its max to keep up w/your new routines! Include light weights too . will help you tone and not be flabby once you lose the weight! Muscle will help you burn extra fat too...even when you take day(s) off and throughout each day
    7. Best weight loss drink....water! helps flush out those toxins and sodium, etc!! enjoy

~happy journey!
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options

^^^^ absolutely this ^^^^ Also, watching unhealthy snacks and finding better replacements... Instead of candy bars with 250 empty calories, I have a 20 G protein bar with 200 calories that meets a nutritional need... Hmmm not as hungry when my body has what it needs to survive. EXERCISE... Both strength training and aerobic. Joined a gym... I look as forward to that as I used to eating a large bowl of ice cream... Healthier choices made me want healthier choices. Also being consistent with it helps to keep making progress... and progress makes it easier to keep doing it... It gets difficult when you are doing a bunch of stuff and not seeing progress in one way or another. Best wishes on your endeavor.