Ate more than I should have tonight! Ahh!

Options
Well, more like drank more than I should have.

I went out with friends and was fooled by the "zero calorie margarita" and other drinks...turns out they have a lot of calories! I never knew this! So after a few drinks, I was extremely tipsy and hadn't eaten dinner yet....so I ordered a clam chowder bread bowl. In hindsight, not the best decision...I didn't eat the whole thing but still. This is the first time I've ever eaten over my calorie intake and I'm kinda freaking out but I wonder since I usually eat under will it even out?

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Basically yes. Did you log the food/drink? How much did it add up to? What is your current deficit set at?
  • SleepingBeauty12345
    SleepingBeauty12345 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    that happens all the time! its not a big deal.just start new tomorrow! and guess what i ate pancakes tonight! with chocolate chips in it! ha! so tomorrow ill just try to do some more exercises and do better! you can too!
  • catsinpajamas
    Options
    I did something similar tonight. No booze involved, ha, all my own fault. It's okay. Move forward. Make good choices tomorrow and do your workout. It will be okay :)
  • janemem
    janemem Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I find that if I have a lot more to drink than I've allowed for my weight usually drops 1 or 2lb the next day (dehydration) and then evens itself out again after that.
    I wouldn't worry, especially as you say you normally eat under.
    One night of cocktails and soup is not going to break your calorie 'bank'.
    You had a good night out and enjoyed yourself, where's the problem? :wink: :drinker:
  • merisendabills
    Options
    Basically yes. Did you log the food/drink? How much did it add up to? What is your current deficit set at?

Currently 1410 calories. The bread bowl was like 200 something (I wonder if that counts the bread because I didn't eat the bread, just the soup) and the drinks - 2 were 160 cals., 1 was 77. So I was like 402 calories over.
  • merisendabills
    Options
    I find that if I have a lot more to drink than I've allowed for my weight usually drops 1 or 2lb the next day (dehydration) and then evens itself out again after that.
    I wouldn't worry, especially as you say you normally eat under.
    One night of cocktails and soup is not going to break your calorie 'bank'.
    You had a good night out and enjoyed yourself, where's the problem? :wink: :drinker:

true. I haven't allowed myself any 'cheat' days so I guess this could be it, lol.
  • Lesley2901
    Lesley2901 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    These things happen, put it behind you and start afresh the chances are it will even out over the week. It is really difficult to stick to a calorie goal all the time, I don't bother to log it when it happens - you know what you've had to drink/eat no point in making youself feel bad by adding up all the calories!
  • janemem
    janemem Posts: 575 Member
    Options

Currently 1410 calories. The bread bowl was like 200 something (I wonder if that counts the bread because I didn't eat the bread, just the soup) and the drinks - 2 were 160 cals., 1 was 77. So I was like 402 calories over.

402 over? In that case just forget about it, that really is not a huge amount and remember, you need to eat an 3500 cals to gain 1lb so 402 is nothing.
    I regularly (most Sundays) go 1000 over my 1200 limit and I'm still losing each week.
    Don't beat yourself up about it. And well done on not having a treat night already, you've more willpower than I have. :laugh:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

If your deficit was set at 1lb a week - you are still under. Treat it like a mini spike day and get back on track tomorrow - don't sweat it, but don't let it become too regular.
  • merisendabills
    Options

If your deficit was set at 1lb a week - you are still under. Treat it like a mini spike day and get back on track tomorrow - don't sweat it, but don't let it become too regular.

Yeah, this is the first time I've gone out in months so don't plan on making a habit of it! Thanks for all your help, guys!
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    You shouldnt worry, sometimes your body needs to be shocked in order to keep from plateauing.
  • small_ninja
    small_ninja Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    My 21st birthday = a lot of quesadillas, birthday cake, a lot of margaritas, cocktails, wine and jagerbombs (probably way more than 400 calories over my limit :wink: - still managed a loss the following week even after hangover KFC the next day... it was one day and the rest of your week probably balanced it out; make up for it tomorrow :smile:
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    It won't hurt you to go over a day every now and then. It only becomes a problem if you do it every day and every day say "I'll get back on track tomorrow".

Personally, Friday's are usually my cheat day if not a cheat meal. We go to town (60 miles away) and we always do our errands, go out to dinner and get frozen yogurt on the way home. I eat what I want, sometimes it's lower cal and sometimes its not...but it doesn't affect my overall progress.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    OP: you should be able to go out every now and again and not worry about it. I know I do, otherwise it's just not sustainable and would not be good for my sanity. And if less than 500 calories over target, which is only maintenance, then it really is not that bad at all.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Log it. Don't worry about it. It is a one time or once in a while thing. We all go over occasionally --- and SHOULD... it is a lifestyle change... not a religion.
  • bumbledust
    bumbledust Posts: 22
    Options
    Exercise a bit and drink a lot of water. Don't freak out about going way over on your calories once in a while, it's not a big deal. Just stay under most of the time and you'll lose.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    @ 402 calories over, you will likely see a short term increase in scale tomorrow but it will not be a long term thing.. Just an uptick. It takes 3500 calorie surplus to gain a pound of fat... AND most likely, you are set for a loss ANYWAY on your goal calories.. In actual fact, even if you are set for a pound per week loss (which most are not)... You will still be under maintenance... In other words... you would still lose weight at that level... just not as much.