Any girls go by themselves ?

Options

Replies

• lythiam
    lythiam Posts: 32
    Options
    I go running by myself. I carry bear mace. As you might have guessed, it's effective against bears. Don't wanna know what it'd do to a human.
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I live in a medium sized town. It's about 50,000 people. I don't really have anyone to work out with.

SURELY in a town that big you can find people to work out with?! There must be several running clubs/ fitness classes in parks or other resources you could join in with. If you can't find an existing group I'm sure you could find people you don't know YET to jog with, do circuits in a park, get together to do exercise to DVD's - whatever exercise you want to do.
  • giggles7706
    giggles7706 Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    I do run through my neighborhood in the morning by myself and even when I first started doing it I was a bit paranoid. I definitely would not go to a trail that's wooded by myself. Better safe than sorry.
  • dorkusmalorkus
    Options
    ive been trailed a few times. thats why i joined a gym. that and cluster migraines and not wanting to deal with that 5 miles away from home with no car. but yes safety is a huge concern hun!
  • shannonperry13
    Options
    we have a biking/walking trail that goes through wooded areas but also crosses a main road in the middle. i do go by myself alot, never even thought twice about it, until i went once at dusk. nothing happened, didn't even pass another person, but i was so afraid of the dark i was looking over my shoulder constantly.
  • bumbledust
    bumbledust Posts: 22
    Options
    I'm not afraid to go anywhere alone, really. But then, I work in law enforcement and have some self-defense training (and I always carry a weapon, but honestly more as a defense against wildlife than people). I try to be very, very conscious of my surroundings, and my intuition, at all times. If something feels wrong/dangerous, I avoid it.
  • maryjaquiss
    maryjaquiss Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I live in a small town and go running on my own. However, I wouldn't run in the park or down by the canal in hours of darkness. I stick to well-lit roads where I know there will be people and cars about, keep my wits about me and wear reflective clothing. My one bad habit is having my headphones on, which I know isn't ideal but I've never had a problem, touch wood!
  • iceqieen
    iceqieen Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    a friend of mine pointed out to me a few alternatives, for those that are not allowed to carry pepperspray, guns or knifes (yes, those things are illegal in Iceland :angry: I dont mind the guns, but I would like to own a knife or two... )

The ones I liked best were:
    A small hairspray bottle
    A mixture of strong spices (jallepeno, chilli) in a spray bottle... peperspray is illegal, but your own mixture of herbs that you're gonna use on that steak when you get home (honest!) is not... :tongue:

Sadly, Iceland also has a weird lawset when it comes to who was "in the right" after a fight - who ever got the greater injuries is usually the one in the right. So running is definately a valid self defense move, after getting free of any grabbing.

Living in Norway now, Bergen is a town of 250-300.000 people. I feel fine running alone in the park near the student apartments.. but I wouldn't go running in the park in the center, where a worse crowd hangs.

As far as your area, I would first go there with someone. Scout it out and if I was really concerned talk to someone.. but probably just assume it would be fine and run. Just keep your eyes and ears open.
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I run by myself almost every day, mostly in the wee hours of the morning. I run with this if I don't have the benefit of daylight: https://www.runsafety.com/buy-pepper-spray/
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym by myself all the time and I ride my bicycle by myself all the time. When I'm out riding, I always bring a backpack with a patch kit, a pump, my cell phone and a copy of my ID. I try to be as careful as possible and ride in the safest areas I can. Just watch for cars because people drive like real jerks.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite places to run is a fairly deserted wooded trail. I'm not worried in the least.

The way I look at it, there's a much greater chance of someone following me home from the mall or grocery store and lurking in the shadows near my door, than meeting up with someone with criminal intent who just happens to be on a wooded trail when I just happen to be running along it. I've never seen anyone else on that trail, and it's not like I'm there on any kind of regular schedule or frequency.

I had a much greater fear of taking a wrong step, tripping, falling, tumbling down the bank to the creek, banging my head on a rock, and drowning in six inches of water, and not being found until after feral cats eat my face.
  • mrsmark2010
    mrsmark2010 Posts: 220
    Options
    I will go around my subdivision by myself but other than that I don't. I'd love to go run at our Greenway but its very isolated and not used frequently so I won't go alone. I'm a girl who will try almost anything, but running alone especially early/late is risky, even in a safe community.

This story is a girl who I went to school with. She was running with her sister, didn't feel well and was going back by herself:

http://www.wtvq.com/content/localnews/story/Update-Man-Charged-With-Murdering-Russell-County/bL3ECislw0GylapxmUfI8w.cspx
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    We have a local lake by my house and thats where I go walking. There is a park that I cut through that is wooded, but I've never met anyone sinister. I've encountered random homeless person sleeping in the grass, but for the most part they don't bother anyone.

Just bring your keys, a cell phone and a bottle of water if you want.. if someone bothers you ignore them and try to head to a place where there is a lot of people around.
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    I go only on trails I know alone. I don't like to go alone on trails I don't know anything about or that are really long that would take a long time to do. Best advice I can give is get yourself some bear spray and carry it with you. That way even if a bear comes after you, you'll be able to defend yourself... Or if some creep comes after you, you'll be able to spray them then kick them while they're down. Also always carry a cell phone!!!
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I will go to the gym and will go biking by myself. When I go walking I usually don't take any humans, but I do have my two pit bulls with me. I don't think they are very scary looking, personally (pics in my profile), but having any dog gives you a layer of protection.
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I have always gone biking alone, in the daytime. I have no concerns about it, as I am on a bike, and usually there are cars about, and even in the country lanes, I am more afraid of a random car speeding than I am of getting attacked. I walk as well in the daytime, but only once did I walk somewhere that was pretty deserted. It was really, really muddy so I figured it was unlikely anyone else would be as insane to walk such a long path in those conditions. I never go out at night alone, however.
  • 42kgirl
    42kgirl Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I just got back from a run by myself. I always have my cell with me and am aware of my surroundings. I mostly just see other runners and walkers. When I lived in a more unsavory area, I went with my American Staffordshire. Most people crossed the street before we approached. Funny thing is, he was the sweetest dog I've ever been owned by.
  • jerzypeach
    jerzypeach Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I'll be going to tennis drills this morning, then dropping my DD at her dance lesson and heading over to the track for a nice run before I have to pick her up. I go running by myself all the time.
  • PinkAndSparkle
    Options
    I live in a weird town that's surrounded by Boston on all sides, so it is quite urban here (albeit middle-upper class). I run on main roads during the day, and try to stick to well populated areas. I usually don't walk/jog anywhere at night, but I will walk up the street alone...but that's about it. Our city is super safe, but the surrounding neighborhoods are slightly less so.
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I used to run by myself in my neighbohood but a bunch of drug dealers suddenly decided my block was a great place to live so I workout inside now. I used to alwaysmake sure I was A. on a sidwak B. Facing oncoming traffic C.Very aware of my surroundings (music low/ constantly glancing around)