Calories in stir-fried chicken?

Options
Numptcakes
Numptcakes Posts: 145 Member
Okay, so tomorrow I'm making chicken fajitas for the family. I like to stir fry the chicken breast strips in the pan but I prefer to let it cook in its own juices as opposed to adding oil. Could somebody point me in the direction of a half-accurate nutritional value for stir fried chicken breast minus oil? Hard to know what to trust in the MFP database sometimes and this query seems like a definite grey area!

Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I do the stir fry in olive oil, but it seems to me that if you are just cooking the chicken in nothing but a pan, then the chicken has the same calories going in as coming out. If you add veggies, they will add calories, but the chicken is just chicken. Not sure I'm understanding your question after all. :ohwell:
  • getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    You can use the recipe tool to make the meal and have an accurate calorie count :wink:
  • Numptcakes
    Options
    You're understanding my question, duckie - I'm just a bit stupid! The reason I ask is because many 'grilled chicken breast' entries differ (sometimes vastly) from 'raw chicken breast'. So I've gotten myself in a bit of a tizzy!
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    It's because chicken loses water as it cooks. So cooked chicken, even with any added oil, with have more calories than raw. I sometimes dry fry too, maybe with a spray from on of those tins, or not, depending on how old/reliably non-stick the pan is, LOL. If I do this I like to add a squeeze of lemon juice at the end (careful, because it can splatter, so have a lid handy). It helps the flavour.
  • Numptcakes
    Options
    Would it be safe to log it as grilled chicken? Surely there's not much in it?
  • knk1553
    knk1553 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Below is the one I use, then I add whatever I cook it in separately. A lot of times I just add spray EVOO so it doesn't stick and let it cook in its own juices. Red Cayenne Pepper is an awesome choice to add some flavor without calories and sodium just as an fyi!

Chicken - 4 oz. Breast (Skinless & Grilled, No Oil or Salt), then you can add whichever else you use in. I weigh it after its cooked, because it does lose weight.