Suppressing hunger...

Options
During the last two days, I've noticed that I am ALWAYS hungry...I try to drink plenty of water but not working, trying will power but failing...what can I do to stop myself from overeating and to stop myself from being constantly hungry?? Please help...

Replies

• icklecyberfairy
    icklecyberfairy Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Eating food with a low GI Index really works for me. I drink coffee if I am hungry in between meals and that usually helps too. Good luck
  • VictoriaSadler
    VictoriaSadler Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    what is a low GI?
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Is your food diary correct? Some day you have less than 800 calories!
  • xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    If you are genuinely hungry and not just craving for snacks then it's just your body telling you that it needs more fuel. Having checked your diary, your caloric intake is around 1000 which is quite low especially if you're used to a higher caloric diet. Try adding more lean protein to your diet, like chicken breasts especially if you're exercising without cutting down on your current diet. They will help you feel fuller.
  • janemem
    janemem Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I just work through it. To be honest I don't really register being hungry as it's a constant state lol!
    Brushing you teeth when you feel really hungry can help, I don't know why but it does. :happy:
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    GI means glycemic index. It's a measure of how quickly a food (particularly a carbohydrate) makes your blood sugar go up. A high GI means that it goes up fast, which is not what you want as when it goes up fast your body works hard to clear that excess sugar out of your bloodstream. Ideally your carbs should be low GI. When they're eaten with fats and / or protein it's better. The worst is a whole lot of sugar (a bag of jelly babies, for instance) = spikey blood sugar levels & rebound making you feel hungry again soon after.

I've had a look at your diary (only went back a few days). I thought there was quite a bit of cereal in there and not enough fruit & veg. Fruit contains sugar (which is why it's so much more popular than veg) and shouldn't be eaten in HUGE quantities, veg is excellent at keeping you full up for longer. The British recommendation for a healthy diet is that it should include at least 5 servings of fruit &/or veg a day. Why not replace a couple of snacks with a fruit instead & add as many veg as possible to lunch & dinner.

Some days you're just not eating enough food - eat the calories MFP gave you as a target.
  • kayl3igh88
    kayl3igh88 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    If you're like me and don't really like most fruit & veg you could always try smoothies - kale & spinach have virtually no flavour but so much fiber, which keeps you fuller for longer. Blend spinach with strawberries, raspberries and yoghurt or milk and a few ice cubes and bob will indeed be your uncle as they say (or that's what I heard). Hope this helps!
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    If you're not keen on veg you could try veg based soups.
  • Natashaa1991
    Natashaa1991 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    keep yourself busy, go for long walks with friends or ride a bike, you won't think about food.. i found that i'm always hungry when i'm at home bored.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary it appears that you are not eating enough. You need to hit your calorie levels more often and eat back some or all of your excercise calories. You need to fuel your body for the workouts. A very low calorie diet is bound to leave you hungry.

I just upped my calories to 1600 and am hardly ever hungry but still losing weight. It is a question of finding the right balance.

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more. Your body needs more than 700, 800, 900 calories a day. You're hungry because your body doesn't have enough fuel.
  • newhabit
    newhabit Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    first i make sure i am eating filling stuff. and i make sure i drink plenty of water if i get hungry. someone mentioned low GI foods and that helps me too. fruit, veg always fills me up. also popcorn and oatmeal are very filling but not a lot of calories if you just need something to fill you up.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    During the last two days, I've noticed that I am ALWAYS hungry...I try to drink plenty of water but not working, trying will power but failing...what can I do to stop myself from overeating and to stop myself from being constantly hungry?? Please help...

Youre_doing_it_wrong.gif

Youve only been eating 800-900 cals a day consistently!
    Youre doing it wrong!

PM me if you want a diet that works and i'll walk you through it.
    ::::WARNING::::
    On Dans numbers you will eat closer to 2k a day and lose FAT!!!!
    =D
  • jfwarman
    jfwarman Posts: 6
    Options
    Looks from your diary that some days you are a lot under and other you are a little over.

You need to get it dialed in tighter and get you calories hit each day.

What you ate or didn't eat 2/3 days ago will affect how you feel today.

Work super hard, drop the weight and low fat, low fat, low fat.... If you think it might be bad then it is!!!

Good luck and don;t give up!! :)
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I eat 1200 calories and I find what works for me is to eat several low calories things instead of one high calorie item. I also think you need more protein, plus you really aren't eating all your calories so that will make you more hungry the next day so I suggest you eat all 1200 of your calories
  • km_jenn
    km_jenn Posts: 107
    Options
    You need to eat more. Your body needs more than 700, 800, 900 calories a day. You're hungry because your body doesn't have enough fuel.

Exactly... I mean, not trying to be rude, but the question almost seems like a joke. You obviously know your not even meeting the minimum calories that should be consumed, so ummm... eat something. Simple as that.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    OP hasnt come back yet.....
  • Marmitegeoff
    Marmitegeoff Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    what is a low GI?

Glycemic Index the lower the harder to digest, so there is no suger rush, so no insulin spike. It is the insulin spike that makes me hungry, now I try to avoid all suger and it works for me
  • Yes2HealthyAriel
    Yes2HealthyAriel Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Of course you are hungry, you are eating way too little. If you are not even close to meeting calorie goals then why the hell are you wanting to suppress hunger? No offense
  • loneworg
    loneworg Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    yup^^^^