Readers: Any Fiction Reading Suggestions?

Options
124»

Replies

• thenataliej
    thenataliej Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Anything by Janet Evanovich - her Stephanie Plum books are an excellent read - crime, romance, comedy... and her characterisation is spot on. Why these have never been made into movies is beyond me!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1598828/ I haven't seen so I don't know if it is any good.

I am currently reading A storm of swords 1: Steel and Snow by George R. R. Martin, Great series, if you like like epic fantasy which I do.

I absolutely adore the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon :love:

I would have to say that my fave book ever is Watership Down by Richard Adams. It's about bunnies :wink:

:heart: Goodreads
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    Anything by Janet Evanovich - her Stephanie Plum books are an excellent read - crime, romance, comedy... and her characterisation is spot on. Why these have never been made into movies is beyond me!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1598828/ I haven't seen so I don't know if it is any good.

I am currently reading A storm of swords 1: Steel and Snow by George R. R. Martin, Great series, if you like like epic fantasy which I do.

I absolutely adore the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon :love:

I would have to say that my fave book ever is Watership Down by Richard Adams. It's about bunnies :wink:

:heart: Goodreads

i apparently read the first game of thrones book years ago and posted on amazon... HATED IT so much I forgot all about it... sigh... i'm out of step.. love watership down...
  • caberselli
    caberselli Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Having been in graduate school for the past three years, I have not read much fiction. Though I did sneak "The Help" in & loved it.

My first book post-graduation was "50 Shades of Gray". Which I thoroughly hated!

Now reading "The Innocent" by David Baldacci & really enjoying it.

Janet Evanovich Stephanie Plum series was fun for about 15 books, then got too predictable. A movie was made of the first one "One for the Money". I didn't see it, but it must not have been very good because it wasn't around for long.

One of my favorites (which should be required reading for everyone) is Ayn Rand's "Atlas Shrugged". I will probably break out my copy & re-read it this summer.

Thanks, everyone for the reading list. I can't wait to check some of these titles out at the library!
  • jerber160
    Options

One of my favorites (which should be required reading for everyone) is Ayn Rand's "Atlas Shrugged". I will probably break out my copy & re-read it this summer.

Thanks, everyone for the reading list. I can't wait to check some of these titles out at the library!

atlas shrugged. yeah blah in my opinion... i don't remember if i said it above but that manifesto at the end is way too much... i have NEVER read it..... i've read AS maybe 3 times and have always skipped the diatribe. plus.. as I get older she's great in theory but impossible in practice. so yeah,i say read it... with a grain of salt...
  • sdoldsMD2013
    sdoldsMD2013 Posts: 128
    Options
    Anything Stephen King, Gina Kolata, and Joanne Rendell. :-)
  • tsuma
    tsuma Posts: 7
    Options
    Bump..
  • jus_in_bello
    jus_in_bello Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    The Fairie Queene by Edmund Spenser. It's awesome and beautiful.
  • basschick
    basschick Posts: 3,502 Member
    Options
    Angels and Demons by Dan Brown

The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory

Both good reads.
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    Any book by Maeve Binchy. All the characters are interconnected, it's like people watching and listening in on their lives. I just live them all. I'd have to say Quentin's and Evening Class were my favorites. Or a newer one that came out a year or 2 ago, Night of Rain and Stars. Just start with the oldest ones and work your way through.

Also, if you like murder mysteries, P.D. James. I think I've read all of them.
  • amsohs85
    amsohs85 Posts: 166
    Options
    Give me your fiction suggestions please!

Looking for a new book to read... and I would love to hear your suggestions, on books you've read and liked, or are reading right now. Doesn't have to be a new book, and if you could say what kind of book it is, or briefly what it's about that would be helpful. I don't really do vampires or dragons, and I'm not huge on romance unless there's a wacky twist of some kind (or the romance is not the main theme of the book).

My suggested book is "Room" by Emma Donoghue. It's about a woman and her son who are prisoners in a small room. The story is told from the perspective of the 5-year-old boy, who was born in (and grows up in) this single room. Mesmerizing read.

Thanks in advance!!! x

Check out some of the following authors: Jodi Picoult (drama/life/ romance some of her books also are told from the childs perspective and they can contain some sensitve subject matter) Anna Quindlan (drama/romance) Janet Evanovich (mystery/ crime. Quirky and funny series about a female bounty hunter). I've heard mixed reviews on the "Fifty Shades of Grey" books some like..some hate. Anne Rice also has "The Sleeping Beauty trilogy if you want racy/sexy...though I haven't read those yet.

Personally i also read Stephen King, Dean Koontz (both horror/scifi) and Iris Johannsen (crime/suspense)
  • Tender78
    Tender78 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    OMG, as soon as I read the OP question I was going to post about the LKH books. I love her. Just went to the launch of her new book tour for Kiss The Dead. In the middle of it now!

Also, the Mercy Thompson series is really good...something Briggs...Patricia maybe? Not sure of the author on this set.. As well as the Stephanie Plumb series by Janet Evanovich.
  • EmilyTwist1
    EmilyTwist1 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    On of my favorites is The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley. It's a retelling of the Arthurian legends from the point of view of the women.
  • amsohs85
    amsohs85 Posts: 166
    Options
    Angels and Demons by Dan Brown

The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory

Both good reads.

Loved The Other Boleyn Girl!!! ;-)
  • muggsmom
    muggsmom Posts: 28
    Options
    Thanks for posting this question, I need some new reading material. I love J.D. Robb's series, about a female homicide detective that's set in 2060. Also Kay Hooper, the Bishop/Special Crimes Unit series.
  • jerber160
    Options
    On of my favorites is The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley. It's a retelling of the Arthurian legends from the point of view of the women.

i'm in the middle of Guardian of the Balance by irene Radford.. as far as arthur goes
  • Tender78
    Tender78 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this question, I need some new reading material. I love J.D. Robb's series, about a female homicide detective that's set in 2060. Also Kay Hooper, the Bishop/Special Crimes Unit series.

Totally forgot to mention the J.D. Robb In Death series...good call. Ahhh, if only every man could be like Roarke.