Any girls go by themselves ?

Options

Replies

• cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I live in a weird town that's surrounded by Boston on all sides, so it is quite urban here (albeit middle-upper class). I run on main roads during the day, and try to stick to well populated areas. I usually don't walk/jog anywhere at night, but I will walk up the street alone...but that's about it. Our city is super safe, but the surrounding neighborhoods are slightly less so.

What town is that? I live half an hour from Boston
  • Impy84
    Impy84 Posts: 430
    Options
    I go walking by myself ; this includes hiking and trail walking. Safety concerns not especially. I try to stay aware when im out and i always make sure someone knows where i am. Even if it's as simple as a fb post. "going hiking call me in 2 hrs if i've not checked back in guys "

if i go a public park (stone mountain park GA) i can't take my taser or mase as it's public and im pretty sure against the law but i don't go at night nor too early in the morning because that in my opinion is just DUMB. regardless of where you live.
  • spunkfish
    spunkfish Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I live in a medium sized town. It's about 50,000 people. I don't really have anyone to work out with. None of my friends are into fitness or paying attention to what they eat. There are a few biking and running trails around where i live but i don't know if i should do that by myself. I don't think i would feel safe. Both of the trails i have seen are in a wooded area and sure it looks pretty but safety wise not so much.

There isn't a really high crime rate or anything but i think i have just heard one too many stories of a girl being by herself and something bad happening. I'm really starting to consider taking a self defense class.

Any women on here who go out walking/biking by themselves ?
    Is safety a concern for you ?
    Is there a way you protect yourself ?

I go out running every other day by myself. My town is pretty small...I've only ever had 1 problem and it was because of stupid drunks on four wheelers.
  • tenunderfour
    tenunderfour Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I live in a medium sized town. It's about 50,000 people. I don't really have anyone to work out with. None of my friends are into fitness or paying attention to what they eat. There are a few biking and running trails around where i live but i don't know if i should do that by myself. I don't think i would feel safe. Both of the trails i have seen are in a wooded area and sure it looks pretty but safety wise not so much.

There isn't a really high crime rate or anything but i think i have just heard one too many stories of a girl being by herself and something bad happening. I'm really starting to consider taking a self defense class.

Any women on here who go out walking/biking by themselves ?
    Is safety a concern for you ?

I run and bike alone all the time. I should probably be more aware - and take more precautions, but I don't. A couple of years ago a woman in my area was attacked and raped on a very nice, suburban road while she was jogging at 6:30 am. After that I carried pepper spray with me. I did not run with my iPod on, etc. I only ran on well populated streets.

I mean I think you have to be safe - but you could drive yourself crazy with the "what if....".
  • sadielankford
    sadielankford Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I live in the city of St. Louis and while I do see women alone (jogging/walking) from time to time, I'd never do it. I just go to the gym instead.
  • PixelTreason
    PixelTreason Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I jog alone at 5 AM while it's still dark outside. It's a bit creepy at times but I feel safe enough. Not that I am in a particularly safe neighborhood but still, it's ok.
    You watch the news all the time and you would think people are getting killed left and right just leaving their home but in reality, violent crime doesn't happen as often as you think.

So I run and hope for the best. :)
  • nickiog
    nickiog Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    i didnt read any of the replys but the running trail in my city always says to not make it a routine...like don't go at the exact same times every day always switch it up and to try and run during the day if you are going alone because there tends to be more people around...also a can of mace is really light and easy to use...just make sure its the foam style not the spray :]

personally i stick to the gym and only use the bike trails if i am going with other people
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    I live in Chicago and basically in the hood, so yes. lol. I have lived here my entire life, so I don't see the big deal really. I went out walking miles for a few days, but I stopped only because it doesn't interest me and I have two kids..I just say live and don't let fears run your life. I truly doubt I will be shot at because I am not in a gang or wearing gang affiliated colors. I try to just trust the Lord will look out for me, female or male, and make sure nothing weird occurs.
  • clehman71
    clehman71 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I live in a town with a population of about 45,000 and when the university is in session the population jumps another 23,000 or so. I also don't have any friends that are into getting in shape or eating healthy. I take walks 4-6 miles and cycle 15-30 miles by myself all the time. I just make sure not to go into the less savory parts of town. I haven;t had any problems with people bothering me. I don't care spray, but I do make sure I always take my phone with me. If I have a problem I want to be able to call for help (flat tire or twisted ankle) :smile: . I am going to stay an optimist and believe I should be safe in the areas I choose.
  • hanneberries
    hanneberries Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    ...why shouldn't you go alone?
  • xdaysbingefree
    xdaysbingefree Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I run/bike/walk alone all the time, but I only do it during the day, and I either stay in my neighborhood, or I go places where there are plenty of other people.

I personally don't think it's a smart idea to go into the woods alone. You would most likely be fine, but there are just so many weirdos in the world, that you never know. It's definitely better to be safe than sorry, and I think you should just avoid situations where you are isolated from other people
  • itsDorian7
    itsDorian7 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I go alone on the bike trail, but I'll only go during the day when there are lots of people that are using it. I keep a keep a knife strapped to my bike and I try to stay aware of my surroundings. Paranoid? You bet. Years ago I was attacked, in a nice quiet, supposed crime free area. You never know, and you never fully get over something like that.
  • Romans624
    Romans624 Posts: 822
    Options
    I do it all the time. I would do it early morning and nights. Occasionally I feel slightly creeped out, if its really dark, but mostly I go when its fairly light outside and cars are on the road. Its a pretty safe area here.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    I do exercise by myself outside sometimes...but only if I feel safe...even then, I am not really safe, but seems like some places are just asking for trouble. It is a very legitimate concern...be cautious. I used to be more free when I was younger, but these days the danger is very high.
  • ESVABelle
    ESVABelle Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I don't live in the best neighborhood, but I know I can take care of myself. I always keep my ID and cellphone hidden in my bra. And I carry a knife. I'm not concerned I'll ever have to use it but it's better to have it and not need than need and not have.
  • rumpusparable
    Options
    When I was in Germany I walked 4-6 days a week on woodland trails in a park nearby my house. Never felt unsafe there, never had a problem.
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I run by myself. Just be aware all the time. I always look people in the eyes, even if they appear "scary" to me, I feel like it makes me appear less like an easy target. Basically, assume everyone is going to abduct and kill you and you'll be fine!
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    I go running alone but not in any woods or anything. I just run on the sidewalk along my street. It's a busy street so I feel safe knowing people can always see me. I also NEVER go after dark.
  • GodsGirl37
    GodsGirl37 Posts: 348
    Options
    I go walking with my dog snowman. He is very protective of me. a dog makes the best walking buddy.
  • skaery7
    skaery7 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I bicycle, jog and run by myself a lot. I do use headphones running and walking but also try to be aware of my surroundings and go at times of the day that others are out. My safest place is my subdivision, so I use that in the early morning hours or after work near sunset. Otherwise I use public parks, bike routes and just remember to be safe. I have pepper spray and a cell phone w/me biking, but not always jogging or running. Sometimes I text a friend if I feel "iffy" before going and let them know where I am working out and when I expect to be back and to look for me if I don't text them by a certain time. I am an outdoor runner (hate treadmills), so I say go for it and again, just use common sense and stay away from low lit, low traveled areas alone. Enjoy!