Metabolic Testing--Your Opinions

Options
Azdak
Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
Based on my personal experience, educational and work experiences, and current employment status, I have started researching the idea of working with some other professionals in a wellness coaching business and one of the services I was thinking of offering was metabolic testing.

This would consist of a cart that analyzes expired air for oxygen and carbon dioxide and measures oxygen uptake. The main services offered are: resting metabolism and exercise response. Most who use this machine offer a combination resting metabolic study and submaximal exercise test. The resting metabolism is self-explanatory. During the exercise test, the protocol takes the subject to their "anaerobic threshold" (it can be used for VO2max testing as well).

The submax test would provide the following information: metabolic response to exercise (good way to "calibrate" your HRM), training heart rate levels (based on oxygen uptake), and substrate utilization (not important IMO, but some might find it useful). They also provide a detailed report that includes a training program based on the results. I personally don't like the report. Essentially, it takes the refuted concept of the "fat burning zone" and expresses it in a more sophisticated format. But I could work around that.

I see the following uses for the test:

1. Measure resting metabolism--compare actual BMR with calculated methods and give subjects hard data to work with.

2. Measure exercise metabolism--again, compare actual response to predicted response.

3. Retests following significant weight loss--determine if calorie-restricted diet has affected BMR and measure changes as a result of an exercise program.

4. Test effectiveness of a specific routine--i.e. strength training.

5. Provide accurate training HR data, without the risk/discomfort of a maximal exercise test.

6. Possibly provide some customized services--perhaps measure actual VO2 response to a workout DVD, etc (would probably be limited to a person's house and the length of the collecting tube.

The average cost for this is $150-$175 for the initial test; $75-$85 for retest. A number of hospital wellness centers in my area are offering similar testing for their members, but some are not. Lifetime Fitness has gone into this big time, but they are working primarily with their membership base and I am sure they are following the "fat burning zone" protocol, so I think I can offer much higher level counseling.

So I am interested in opinions from the group--is this something you would be interested in? (in a general sense--I am not specifically marketing anything). Do you think the price is reasonable? Any other information or features you think should be included?

In developing my business plan I am looking at several options: partnering with clinical professionals--dietitians, hospital wellness centers, etc, marketing to the general public, marketing as part of wellness seminars/programs targeted at groups like teachers or nurses, or maybe even trying to market to some businesses as part of a wellness day or wellness program.

My biggest concern is the advent of tools such as the bodybugg and gowearfit. Given that these are being powered by a lot of free advertising (TBL, other media), provide a more total view of daily calories (although less accurate) and more user control, I am wondering if this has significantly weakened the market for what I am contemplating. The sales rep for the company I am looking at purchasing from seemed unaware that these things are even on the market, which really made me uneasy.

Anyhow, if you have any opinions and would like to share, I would appreciate it--either a message or on this forum. Thanks.

Replies

• MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who does the RMR testing and I found it valuable because the online formulas were so far off for me. However, I am now thinking about getting something like the GoWearFit because having to make appointments to go out and get my RMR tested and spend $75 a pop (that's what she charges, but there is no exercise testing involved) means I can't get tested as much as I'd like. Plus, to some extent, I don't really need to *know* my RMR. I can see by the scale how many calories I can eat and maintain my weight. I just want to because I'm a data junky.

I think there is a market for your services, but it's probably not to dieters. I think it would be more interesting to the serious athlete who wants to know what is going on with their body at every step of the way and values accuracy over convenience. Your prices seems more in line with what performance centers around here charge for similar testing including LT threshold and VO2 Max.

In fact, I've been considering getting that sort of testing done at a place here in San Francisco, but have been put off by the price ($275) as I can't really justify spending that kind of money when I'm a Middle of the Pack endurance athlete who is in it for fun. I think when my financial situation is a bit better, I'll do it anyway, but it's going to have to wait at this point.
  • etandit
    Options
    Did RMR testing and have the GWF. so far the GWF is great, right on and accurate. have been able to adjust my weight loss etc based on readings.....like anything else you have to be honest with yourself......it is right in line with the RMR testing that i have done
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say thank you for the feedback so far--perhaps there will be more. I am still having trouble getting my head around the bodybugg and GWF products. All of my training and experience in physiology says that these things should not work, and yet they seem to do well for a lot of people. My commitment to science compels me to keep an open mind. I am hoping that some other "outside" institutions will continue to examine these products and either confirm their accuracy or further define their shortcomings.