Getting wisdom teeth pulled): help?

Options
13»

Replies

• ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I'm also needle phobic, and when I had mine out I punched the nurse in the nose because she kept insisting that she had to put the needle in and I kept telling her there was no way in hell that she was putting it in.

Ask for some laughing gas first, and then have them put the needle in when you are almost out... thats what they did with me and it was much better.
    Yeah if you punched me in the nose for doing my job I would probably punch you back. Were you not aware you had to have a needle? Even if you are needle phobic there is no need for violence. I have had patients who kick up the biggest fuss over needles, crying and carrying on like a pork chop, but no violence. Suck it up, it isnt that bad. Look up and breathe calmly, and it's over before you know it.
    Well if she tried to put in a needle against the patient's will, I'd call that assault.
  • shellebelle87
    shellebelle87 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I'm also needle phobic, and when I had mine out I punched the nurse in the nose because she kept insisting that she had to put the needle in and I kept telling her there was no way in hell that she was putting it in.

Ask for some laughing gas first, and then have them put the needle in when you are almost out... thats what they did with me and it was much better.
    Yeah if you punched me in the nose for doing my job I would probably punch you back. Were you not aware you had to have a needle? Even if you are needle phobic there is no need for violence. I have had patients who kick up the biggest fuss over needles, crying and carrying on like a pork chop, but no violence. Suck it up, it isnt that bad. Look up and breathe calmly, and it's over before you know it.
    Well if she tried to put in a needle against the patient's will, I'd call that assault.

Because she was obviously tied to the chair, and didnt have the ability to walk out, or get up and find the dentist.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options

I'm assuming your not needle phobic because if you were, you would realize that yes, it that bad for some people.

She also wasn't doing her job.. when I had my consultation there was no discussion of being knocked out by having an IV put in my arm. So when I am sitting there crying and screaming for her to get away from me, she should have stopped.. but no she kept going and kept trying to strap my arm down to stick the needle in, so I hit her... If you are not going to listen to me when I am telling you to stop and get away from me, I reserve every right to do what I have to... plus she wasn't even injured.. just very angry.

I can handle needles, the first time they were in my mouth I was terrified, hence why I was given Valium to take beforehand. Yeah the nurse should have stopped but is that really a reason to punch her? Why not just get out of the chair and scream at her and get the dentist in to sort it out? It is common knowledge that when you get your wisdom teeth out there is at least one needle involved, so I really dont understand why you were surprised. Maybe I am wrong in assuming that everyone knows that, because I am a dental assistant, but no one has ever been shocked at having to have a needle. They may not like it, and kick up a fuss, but they're never like "oh, a needle? No one ever mentioned that so I will just punch you in your face". Not cool, whatever your reeasoning is.

And you have to remember, we get quite a few hysterical patients who hate needles, and the quicker you can get the needle in, the better. We get told to just let them freak out, then do the needle, because it has to be done. Unless you would rather go all natural and have no anaesthetic at all.

A needle for a cavity, yea fine.. I know that's coming... and I still freakout.

I'm surprised though that they tell you to let them freak out because it has to be done.. I would assume there are more then one way to put a patient under... and if they are really opposed to general anesthesia with a needle, then I'd leave them alone instead of forcing it. Thats just me though..

Believe me, the dentist came in because of my screaming.. My mom told me afterwards that she could hear me all the way in the lobby. The dentist is the reason I got the laughing gas first before having the needle put in me.. because the nurse at that point was staring in a corner glaring at me because I'm sure she thought I was just a brat trying to give her a hard time, but I wasn't... I'm conveying I'm terrified and you're not listening.. So thats what you get.. end of story. Maybe next time she'll think to listen to a patient instead of just trying to force them to do something.
  • shellebelle87
    shellebelle87 Posts: 291 Member
    Options

I'm assuming your not needle phobic because if you were, you would realize that yes, it that bad for some people.

She also wasn't doing her job.. when I had my consultation there was no discussion of being knocked out by having an IV put in my arm. So when I am sitting there crying and screaming for her to get away from me, she should have stopped.. but no she kept going and kept trying to strap my arm down to stick the needle in, so I hit her... If you are not going to listen to me when I am telling you to stop and get away from me, I reserve every right to do what I have to... plus she wasn't even injured.. just very angry.

I can handle needles, the first time they were in my mouth I was terrified, hence why I was given Valium to take beforehand. Yeah the nurse should have stopped but is that really a reason to punch her? Why not just get out of the chair and scream at her and get the dentist in to sort it out? It is common knowledge that when you get your wisdom teeth out there is at least one needle involved, so I really dont understand why you were surprised. Maybe I am wrong in assuming that everyone knows that, because I am a dental assistant, but no one has ever been shocked at having to have a needle. They may not like it, and kick up a fuss, but they're never like "oh, a needle? No one ever mentioned that so I will just punch you in your face". Not cool, whatever your reeasoning is.

And you have to remember, we get quite a few hysterical patients who hate needles, and the quicker you can get the needle in, the better. We get told to just let them freak out, then do the needle, because it has to be done. Unless you would rather go all natural and have no anaesthetic at all.

A needle for a cavity, yea fine.. I know that's coming... and I still freakout.

I'm surprised though that they tell you to let them freak out because it has to be done.. I would assume there are more then one way to put a patient under... and if they are really opposed to general anesthesia with a needle, then I'd leave them alone instead of forcing it. Thats just me though..

Believe me, the dentist came in because of my screaming.. My mom told me afterwards that she could hear me all the way in the lobby. The dentist is the reason I got the laughing gas first before having the needle put in me.. because the nurse at that point was staring in a corner glaring at me because I'm sure she thought I was just a brat trying to give her a hard time, but I wasn't... I'm conveying I'm terrified and you're not listening.. So thats what you get.. end of story. Maybe next time she'll think to listen to a patient instead of just trying to force them to do something.

Eh, some people are just idiots.

I was referring more to giving a patient local anaesthetic, not general. You get all sorts of reactions to merely seeing the needle, then they get worse as the needle gets closer to the mouth. Sometimes it's better to let the patient have a cry and calm down, then inject them, because the alternative to no injection is a lot of pain. Once they realise that, it makes for smooth sailing. But for general, you generally need a needle at some stage. She probably just thought you were being a sook, and you knew you were getting a needle. And she was probably an uber *kitten*.

But still....no reason to punch someone. You could have just gotten out of the chair and toddled outside to get your mum or someone who would explain to the nurse that she needs to stop with the needle for a second, and let you calm down, then try to proceed.

I'm rather annoyed at the idea of someone punching a dentist/nurse, purely because we got a patient referred to us who has a history of violence against dentist/assistants, and I think it is entirely unneccesary. Take a valium, relax.
  • aki7chien
    aki7chien Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Mine were taken out when I was 25. The roots were up into my sinus'. The oral surgeon said the recovery would be difficult.

It was fine. Knocked out for the whole thing. The worst part I remember is that my ex-husband made me soup for dinner and got pizza for him and my daughter, and I was so groggy that I cried because I wanted pizza. LOL
  • olivia_sweeetie13
    Options
    Just calm down. I ate a bunch of mint chocolate chip ice cream and mini blueberry muffins but I guess that isn't appropriate here lol
  • percxa
    percxa Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I got some kind of dissoluble drug under my tongue. No IV. GREAT stuff. I woke up when they needed me to, other than that, I slept through the deep cleaning, 2 fillings, and 2 wisdom teeth coming out. It was awesome. Recovery sucks, but you kinda expect that.
  • laurenrenee1025
    Options
    I had mine out nine hours ago!!! I just had the local anesthetic. However, I also pass out when getting my blood drawn and passed out in the middle of getting numbed up. Ten minutes later I felt alright, but I did feel some pain when they took one tooth out. They give you A LOT of shots in your mouth if you are awake, If i could decide now , I would have liked to get put out. Good luck!
  • bohonomad
    bohonomad Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I am the same way, I once passed out from seeing a drawing of arm muscles. I got my wisdom teeth out and I don't even remember having an IV, I was just out. I never really hurt afterwards, either. But it;s different for everyone. Also, as someone who works at a smoothie place I have to say... don't live off of smoothies you'll gain weight!! They aren't good for you (unless you make them yourself)!