kinda gross question

Options
I ate my breakfast than excerised for an hour, felt great ,but as soon as I was done I got violently ill. I threw up part of breakfast. Should I adjust my calorie intake and if yes how do I know by how much?

Replies

• TadaGanIarracht
    TadaGanIarracht Posts: 2,615 Member
    Options
    How long did you wait before exercising after you ate?
  • sa11yjane
    sa11yjane Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Personally I wouldn't adjust your calorie intake. If you think about it, people who suffer from bulimia throw up all the time yet most are still overweight so being sick doesn't release all those calories! Maybe next time just allow more time inbetween eating and exercising!otk
  • sculptandtone
    sculptandtone Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure most people will throw up if they work out right after they eat. i know i need at least 60-90 minutes even after a very small meal.
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure most people will throw up if they work out right after they eat. i know i need at least 60-90 minutes even after a very small meal.

I agree, I wait at least an hour, esp if you are going to do some intense cardio or something.
  • asdandme
    asdandme Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    an hour ,but it was also the first time I could exercise for an whole hour usually I have an asthma attack at the 1/2 hr point.
  • jppd47
    jppd47 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Personally I wouldn't adjust your calorie intake. If you think about it, people who suffer from bulimia throw up all the time yet most are still overweight so being sick doesn't release all those calories! Maybe next time just allow more time inbetween eating and exercising!otk

what ever you threw up didn't get absorbed in....
    up to you if you want to eat some of it back.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    There's really no way to know how many calories you lost, especially since you had a whole hour to digest. I would not adjust it at all, but if you feel hungry later, don't worry about having an extra snack. One day isn't going to make a difference to your weight loss either way, so unless this keeps happening you shouldn't worry about the calories. (And of course if it does keep happening, you'd need to stop exercising right after you eat, or see a doctor, etc.)
  • Trutra
    Trutra Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I have always been told not to eat just before exercising as it makes you sick. I eat about 45 minutes to an hour before if I have to eat and am always fine.
  • Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    What did you eat? If it was heavy or greasy, it would have sat in your stomach like a lump. :flowerforyou:
  • jppd47
    jppd47 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Generally food is in the stomach for 2-6 hours, nothing is really absorbed here. Then in the small intestine for 3-5 hours where you will begin to absorb.

Aslo when you preform strenuous activity, you body diverts blood flow away from the digestive system, slowing it down.
  • asdandme
    asdandme Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I only had a serving of cereal. I think I just over did it cause I got so excited that I didn't have a asthma attack:smile: I think next time I will wait 90 min. instead of 60 min. or maybe exercise first then eat.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    There's really no way to know how many calories you lost, especially since you had a whole hour to digest. I would not adjust it at all, but if you feel hungry later, don't worry about having an extra snack. One day isn't going to make a difference to your weight loss either way, so unless this keeps happening you shouldn't worry about the calories. (And of course if it does keep happening, you'd need to stop exercising right after you eat, or see a doctor, etc.)

This.
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    No. Theres no way to tell how many calories you should adjust and in the long run it will make no difference on your weight.
  • JoeD1968
    JoeD1968 Posts: 167
    Options
    good idea for a new category Subtract- Hurled 250 calories:laugh:
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    an hour ,but it was also the first time I could exercise for an whole hour usually I have an asthma attack at the 1/2 hr point.
    Congratulations on making it through an entire hour's exercise!
    The truth is that a one time misrecording of a couple hundred calories is not going to make a difference in the long run. So, record it however you like -- whatever makes you feel better and stay motivated. If I had just gotten sick, I wouldn't want to eat again for awhile... I'd probably be under for the day. But I don't get sick after exercising, and your body is different than mine.
    It's what you do consistently that makes a difference. For instance, if you changed nothing else, reducing what you eat by 10 calories a day would result in about a pound of weight loss by the end of the year. (Oops, that statement assumes you had a stable weight... if you were gaining, you'd gain one pound less, if you were already losing, you'd lose one pound more. And since everything else really doesn't stay constant, it's a hypothetical anyway.)