Protein Powders that are high in protein but lower in sodium

Options
blonde71
blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
Hi. I'm trying to limit my sodium intake to ~1,500 mg daily. Heart disease runs in my family and I am middle-aged. Anyway in doing this, I'm finding that I'm continuously falling short on my protein intake. Dairy products have a moderate-high level of sodium. I don't fall as short on non-workout days but mostly on days when I exercise. Does anyone know of a quality protein powder that's high in protein but lower in sodium?

Replies

• CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    What do you consider low? If they are adding salt thats one thing, but I am pretty sure theres some natural salt in milk products.

Natural Kaizen Whey Decadent chocolate (gluten FREE) 100% New Zealand Whey Protein Isolate + Concentrate 908g (2lb) for 22 dollars at Sobeys grocery stores. You can also get the just isolate one which i would recommend (according to most reviews isolates taste better and mix better from what i have read).

"New Zealand whey proteins are considered to be the cleanest and purist in the world. The milk used to produce these whey protein is free of hormones (rBGH) and antibiotics as well as being GMO free. They are also routinely screened for chemical contaminants including pesticides and heavy metals."

Ingredients: New Zealand Protein Blend (cross flow micro-filtration whey protein isolate, ultrafiltered whey protein concentrate), cocoa, natural flavors, Enzyme Blend (Protease 1 & 2, Lactase, Amylase), soy lethin, stevia leaf.

Nutrition Facts: Per 30.4 g (1 scoop) protein: 24 g Cals: 122 fat: 1.5 g sat fat: .5 g cholesterol: 30mg sodium 40mg potassiium 250mg carbohydrate 3 g fibre 0 g sugar 1 g calcium 10%

Amino Acid Profile (mg) Alanine 1110 Arginine 630 Aspartic Acid 2305 Cystine 550 Glutamine & Precursors 4083 Glycine 390 Histidine 430 Isoleucine 1520 Leucine 2620 Lysine 2240 Methionine 520 Phenylalanine 820 Proline 1475 Serine 1090 Theronine 1690 Tryptophan 405 Tyrosine 702 Valine 1420

Total BCAA's 5560 leucine 2620 lsoleucine 1520 Valine 1420

More info on what people thought of it here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/598693-advice-info-broke-down-and-bought-protein-powder
  • CoderGal
    Options
    I looked at many protein powders of different sorts before settling for this one. I didn't really want to add it as I would rather get it from a real source. This had a short ingredient list, the sugar comes from a leaf, the salt was lower then many and the grams per scoop of protein was high. It is my first protein powder. If you have never tried protein powder before I highly recommend protein pancakes :D

I am also going to say that you are about to get recommended ON gold standard I think its called. They have incredable advertising,so when it was a toss up I figured the reason they may be selling so well is the advertising (some people here sell it) but that was my second choice.

As a friend, If you go with body by vi I well punch you in your pretty, perfect-smile face <3
  • halcionne
    halcionne Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I monitor my sodium, too. Boy is it tough! unfortunately, I also have to watch my pennies, so I use Body Fortress whey isolate from Walmart. 95mg sodium per scoop. Good luck!
  • blonde71
    Options
    I looked at many protein powders of different sorts before settling for this one. I didn't really want to add it as I would rather get it from a real source. This had a short ingredient list, the sugar comes from a leaf, the salt was lower then many and the grams per scoop of protein was high. It is my first protein powder. If you have never tried protein powder before I highly recommend protein pancakes :D

I am also going to say that you are about to get recommended ON gold standard I think its called. They have incredable advertising,so when it was a toss up I figured the reason they may be selling so well is the advertising (some people here sell it) but that was my second choice.

As a friend, If you go with body by vi I well punch you in your pretty, perfect-smile face <3

I will definitely check into the info. you gave me. The sodium is very low in the nutritional informational while protein is high so definitely doable. It's just been frustrating because sodium is everywhere! Thanks for replying and pretty, perfect-smile face??

LMAO on that one, friend!! :P
  • blonde71
    Options
    I monitor my sodium, too. Boy is it tough! unfortunately, I also have to watch my pennies, so I use Body Fortress whey isolate from Walmart. 95mg sodium per scoop. Good luck!

One of my RL friends mentioned this one at Walmart as well. I'm on a budget too so I can completely relate. You want a quality product yet not break the bank, lol. Thanks for replying.
  • brneydgrlie
    brneydgrlie Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    A lot of protein powders are purposefully higher in sodium, because they are meant for recovery after weightlifting. At those times, it is needed. When you look at labels/instructions, stay away from the ones that mention recovery, and you will know you are on the right track.
  • athminbri
    athminbri Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I use Syntrax Matrix Protein Blend. The vanilla only has 80mg of sodium. The chocolate flavor is higher in sodium though.

Connie
  • blonde71
    Options
    A lot of protein powders are purposefully higher in sodium, because they are meant for recovery after weightlifting. At those times, it is needed. When you look at labels/instructions, stay away from the ones that mention recovery, and you will know you are on the right track.

Good to know that. I had no idea as I'm still very much a noob to all of this. I'll remember to avoid the ones that say recovery, thanks.
  • lax75
    lax75 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, for the same reasons, and try to get everything I need from whole foods rather than supplements (exc. Vit D.). Most days I can manage - I estimate 5-7 days out of 10 I'm under 1500, and only 1 of 10 over 2000, and if I'm over 1500 on any day I make a concerted effort the following day to drink extra water. Seems to work well enough to keep my doctor happy! :-) Being able to track the sodium and calcium, not just calories, is a big reason I log on MFP, and if I'm careful about the sodium and saturated fat, the calories pretty much take care of themselves.

I find most of my sodium comes from whole grain breads and dairy products, although I'm constantly surprised by how much is in things like raw carrots. I get a lot of my protein from non-fat milk and yogurt (not much cheese, sadly), partly so I can get the calcium, so I just try to allow for that. If I have toast at breakfast, I don't have a sandwich at lunch. I get the low sodium PB. No salt in any recipes, including oatmeal which is about the only place I miss it. Unsalted raw almonds and walnuts. Kashi Crunch not too bad. Lots of chicken and fish. But check the labels on tuna - light and white seem to have different levels of both salt and protein, so I keep both on hand and choose depending on what I have more room for that day. I cook my own beans and barley and keep a supply in the fridge to toss into salads etc. rather than using canned - *much* cheaper and as far as I can find out you only lose about a third of the sodium if you rinsed the canned ones. That said, different brands vary enormously, so check the labels. Quinoa cooks fast enough that i just cook that when I want it. Milled flax cooked into my oatmeal. No-salt-added canned tomatoes are getting more widely available - still some naturally occurring, but at least no extra. Eating out can be really tough - if I know where I'm going ahead of time, I'll either check the on-line info, or call ahead and ask which dishes they would suggest for me. I find that if you say you're on a restricted diet they try to be helpful with suggestions.

Good luck - I still miss the taste (more than I miss sugar!) but if I go significantly over I really feel it for the next day or so, which tends to keep me on the right track.
  • CoderGal
    Options

One of my RL friends mentioned this one at Walmart as well. I'm on a budget too so I can completely relate. You want a quality product yet not break the bank, lol. Thanks for replying.

Also watching pennies. I was looking in walmart too and found the grams of protein per grams per scoop to be higher then mine (just the isolate should be even higher). My logic was I can use less of the higher concentrated ones and get the same amount of protein.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Most of the time I use 100% Milk Protein Isolate from www.truenutrition.com. You can custom blend your own protein powder through them. Its $7.49 per lb. It contains 0 sodium; here are the nutrition stats:
    Servings: 15 (per 1lb)
    Calories: 106
    Fat: 0.5g
    Cholesterol: 0mg
    Sodium: 0mg
    Carbs: 1.2g
    Fiber: 0g
    Sugar: 1.2g
    Protein: 27.6g
    Calcium: 680mg

Its also lactose and soy-free. You can add enzymes, choose unflavored or flavor it, stevia for free, etc. I still use whey protein isolate but most of my intake comes from milk protein isolate because I prefer to have a much slower and long-term release of amino acids feeding my muscles (MPI continues to feed for up to 7 hours; WPI feeds up to 90 minutes). A longer release is great throughout the day as well as pre-bedtime. But there are studies that show taking MPI prior to training results in more lean muscle mass gain and less fat gain than using WPI.
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I drink this daily. It's called Nectar and it's by Syntrax. You can mix them with water or milk, but I choose water. There are TONS of yummy flavors, they have no sugar/carbs and fairly low sodium. This link is to try their variety pack of around 10 diff kinds..it's really really GOOD:

http://www.dietdirect.com/syntrax-nectar-grabngo-protein.html
  • F__7
    F__7 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    will 230 mg be too much or ok?

If is ok, then try AMP Amplified 100% whey protein by GNC... I always get this at SAMS 50% cheaper than at GNC
  • blonde71
    Options
    Most of the time I use 100% Milk Protein Isolate from www.truenutrition.com. You can custom blend your own protein powder through them. Its $7.49 per lb. It contains 0 sodium; here are the nutrition stats:
    Servings: 15 (per 1lb)
    Calories: 106
    Fat: 0.5g
    Cholesterol: 0mg
    Sodium: 0mg
    Carbs: 1.2g
    Fiber: 0g
    Sugar: 1.2g
    Protein: 27.6g
    Calcium: 680mg

Its also lactose and soy-free. You can add enzymes, choose unflavored or flavor it, stevia for free, etc. I still use whey protein isolate but most of my intake comes from milk protein isolate because I prefer to have a much slower and long-term release of amino acids feeding my muscles (MPI continues to feed for up to 7 hours; WPI feeds up to 90 minutes). A longer release is great throughout the day as well as pre-bedtime. But there are studies that show taking MPI prior to training results in more lean muscle mass gain and less fat gain than using WPI.

This one intrigues me - no sodium and lactose and soy-free. Very good to know. Thanks for sharing.
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options
  • jonno16
    Options
    one article doesn't prove that lol. I lowered my salt intake and within a month my blood pressure went from High-normal to normal