1200 Calories causing "skinny fat"?

Options
I’ve been on the 1200 calories a day plan for a little over 3 months now. I started off around 135 and now weigh 118. However, I have been stuck at 118 for several weeks now. Additionally, I am “Skinny Fat” I get bloated very easily and it seems like although I am small I have a lot of extra fat, especially on my legs and some on my stomach.
I will admit I have horrible eating habits. I have had some eating issues in the past when I was younger, but have received help for the issues and consider that apart of my past. This is the first time I’ve tried a diet since struggling with those issues many years ago. After getting injured, being out of the gym, gaining 15 pounds/getting out of shape I decided it was time for a change.
However, I am quite familiar with the effects of putting your body into starvation mode and I am concerned that its what is happening here. MFP has me on the standard 1200 calories a day program. I am not sure if the 1200 itself is not enough or if it is the way I eat.
Normally I wake up quite late in the day (around noon) My shifts are work (at a DYS group home) are rather sporadic. I never know on any given week what days I will work, nor do I know what shift I will work. The shifts are 3 PM until Midnight or overnight meaning I get home around 7 AM on the rare days I do an overnight or 1 AM on the more common regular shifts.
Anyways point is I wake up quite late. I normally do not eat lunch until around 2:30 and eat almost all my calories at dinner. Then I’m starving at night at work or when I get home so I end up binging late night. I always go to bed wicked bloated and it seems like my body holds on to a lot of what I eat especially on the days I work out. I try and work out 3-4 times a week, lifting at least twice and doing cardio every time I go.
Now my question is how can I break these habits, start losing body fat and quit putting my body into starvation mode with my sporadic work schedule? How should I structure my meals? I have NEVER been one to eat when I wake up, normally I just don’t get hungry. However I know if I want to switch to 5 meals a day/eating more regularly I need to start off with a meal when I wake up. It is difficult however to find a way to structure my meals around an always changing schedule...Does anyone have any suggestions for a plan/program to follow? Should I up my calories to 1350 or simply try and restructure how I eat my 1200?
I would really like to lost body fat and get rid of that “skinny fat” look. I also feel I am not being healthy in the way I eat and am quite sure my body is NOT getting what I need and my body is starving because it goes 12 hours without food since I don’t eat until so late in the day…any advice would be greatly appreciated! Should I just try actually eating 3 meals a day for the first time in years and eat snacks in between meals? I guess my issue with that is what do I do on the days where I wake up at noon? Would I just eat breakfast then like a person with a normal work schedule would at 7 AM?

Replies

• hippietofugirl
    Options
    I had the same thing happen with me when I was eating 1200 a day. When you don't eat above your BMR, you're body eats away at your lean muscle, and although you might lose weight, you're losing other things as well. The best thing to do (which I am now doing and have had amazing results with) is to calculate your TDEE and then subtract 15% of that. It may seem like a lot of calories, but if you work out on a regular basis, your metabolism will readjust and your body will build muscle, and potentially lose fat at the same time. You just have to make sure you are eating at least 100g of Protein every day. Right now I'm doing Jillian MIchaels 30 Day Shred. Its only 20 mins a day and I'm getting pretty good results.
  • hippietofugirl
    Options
    oh and I also sleep about 10 hours a night and end up eating my meals pretty late in the day but it hasn't caused me any problems so far
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is not a "standard diet plan". It's a rule of thumb for an absolute bare minimum. Think minimum wage, or the minimum temperature the landlord has to keep an apartment in the winter time (still pretty cold). As with most things in life, the optimal level is usually WELL above the minimum.
  • Alamaug
    Alamaug Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    i did 1200 some years back, but largely reached it by eating healthy AND exercise. got to my ideal, moved up to 1500, and maintained by eating and exercise. by exercising, i got to eat more. but i tried to eat healthy. maybe skinny fat comes from reaching the goal without exercise and better eating habits?
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    There are some who will say eating too little will stall your metabolism, some will say it wont. All I know for sure is you can definately lose fat eating more than 1200 calories, and I know im starving an have headaches if I try to eat that little.
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I had the same thing happen with me when I was eating 1200 a day. When you don't eat above your BMR, you're body eats away at your lean muscle, and although you might lose weight, you're losing other things as well. The best thing to do (which I am now doing and have had amazing results with) is to calculate your TDEE and then subtract 15% of that. It may seem like a lot of calories, but if you work out on a regular basis, your metabolism will readjust and your body will build muscle, and potentially lose fat at the same time. You just have to make sure you are eating at least 100g of Protein every day. Right now I'm doing Jillian MIchaels 30 Day Shred. Its only 20 mins a day and I'm getting pretty good results.

Sorry I'm probably stupid but what is TDEE and how do I calculate it? Glad to hear about your positive results with ha different program! It always great to know people have positive results.

I also can't figure out how to do multiple quotes.

However it seems to be the general consensus that 1200 is not enough. By standard I simply meant that MFP seems to put most people under a "recommended plan" of 1200 calories a day.
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is not a "standard diet plan". It's a rule of thumb for an absolute bare minimum.

I agree with this. If you're working out and stuff, you can get away with eating more and still losing weight. Just be careful about your height and weight. 118 is normally a good and safe weight. Depending on your height, you could be going below a healthy weight.
  • acm130
    acm130 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    If you have to large a deficit it can cause loss of muscle along with fat. I've had slow but consistent success with a 10-20% deficit from my tdee. I'm more concerned w/ preserving lean muscle/decreasing bf% and looking good in my clothes (and in a bikini frankly) then a rapid/substantial decrease in lbs. I have more energy for my workouts and my stamina/run times have improved since upping my kcal. I also work crazy shifts and my meal times are variable (i.e. "lunch" at 7 p.m.) but hasn't caused a problem. Give it a try and see if it works for you.:smile:
  • paulsmisses
    paulsmisses Posts: 178
    Options
    i am managing fine on 1200 calories and exercise normally about 500 extra calories a day and rarely eat them all back, think peoples bodies react differently and you should try different levels til you find something you are comfortable at. i am still losing weight this way.
  • Sneakypeek1972
    Options

It may work well for you but others could be different i tried eat more to weigh less idea and it slowed my weight loss down i went back to 1260 cals a day and ive started losing again, so everyone is different, i would do as you say and work it out like its your breakfast time and work it around your day so you end up having 3 meals a day, i have 3 square meals a day and a small snack in the evening, i do also eat back my earned cals sometimes if im more hungry than usual. And drink lots of water for the bloatedness
  • Sneakypeek1972
    Options
    Lol why would you want to be any lighter than 118 pounds? that is tiny :o
  • amsohs85
    amsohs85 Posts: 166
    Options
    A few things you mentioned could be affecting you. First you may not be distributing your calories effectively. I know shift work makes it hard to have a routine but you really need to start out the day with a healthy meal and spread out your calories from there. This helps keep your insulin level steady. Another thing is people who work overnight shifts are probably not getting a good quality sleep. It doesn't matter how much you try to make up for that it still effects your body chemistry. In other words you end up having many of the same health issues as those who are sleep deprived. There has a been alot about that in the news lately...and if what they are saying is true, too little sleep will effect your metabolism. My aunt used to do paper deliveries untill 3am...then come home and only sleep till 8am. She would take a little nap in the afternoon and always claimed she didnt need any extra sleep. When she switched to a day job within two months she dropped almost 20 pounds. Same physical effort at her new job...same diet. Plus she has more energy and feels better. (this started about a two weeks into the new dayshift). :-)
    081003 Posts: 1
    Options
    I am looking for an eatable item that has zero sugar. I have to consume 440 cal 84 carbs 12 fat and 13 protien 0 Sugar to meet goal. Any ideas out there?
  • Sneakypeek1972
    Options
    I am looking for an eatable item that has zero sugar. I have to consume 440 cal 84 carbs 12 fat and 13 protien 0 Sugar to meet goal. Any ideas out there?

440 daily amount of calories ??? are you being serious ?
  • amberlynyeager
    Options
    I need help on this subject as well, and would love for people to message me and help me with it. I have put myself to a goal of losing 2lbs per week, and it has given me a 1285 cal a day. I have not had a problem with it either. I think that I am eating well, but someone could go to my food diary and give me suggestions to see if there is anything I should change, or shouldn't do. I know I do eat somethings that aren't necessarily the best for me, but I have been told that if it's in moderation it's okay, which I am trying to do. But I am now only eating when I start to feel a little hungry, I also drink a lot of water. But typically 1200 calories hasn't been making me feel like I'm starving. IDK what I should be doing!
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I tried the 1200 diet, it failed. You cannot get as much energy as I want on that. And I can picture skinny fat for several different reasons on it. I agree with eating slightly below your tdee. To get rid of skinny fat, lifting and cardio definately help.
  • Alamaug
    Alamaug Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    hi amberlyn. I am praying for you to reach your goals. seems like you have a good attitude. it's all about attitude and lifestyle at the end of the day. i was skinny most of my life. early, it was just youth and genes. but i also was very active. later, i had to work at it and did. my lifestyle changed a few year ago, and weight gain came with it. redirecting my lifestyle to get back to a good weight. mainly i would say to you...pray to God for dedication, focus, and a will to work hard. i didnt see that you are exercising. you should add that in if you are not. but other than that, you sound like you are doing the right thing. take care.

p.s. a good story. i met a lady about a year ago. she was in her 70s and very small. she said she had been overweight her entire life but at 50 decided to make a change. she exercised, changed her diet and lost over 100 pounds. she said she walks an hours and half every evening.
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    If you have to large a deficit it can cause loss of muscle along with fat. I've had slow but consistent success with a 10-20% deficit from my tdee. I'm more concerned w/ preserving lean muscle/decreasing bf% and looking good in my clothes (and in a bikini frankly) then a rapid/substantial decrease in lbs. I have more energy for my workouts and my stamina/run times have improved since upping my kcal. I also work crazy shifts and my meal times are variable (i.e. "lunch" at 7 p.m.) but hasn't caused a problem. Give it a try and see if it works for you.:smile:

I am the exact same way! I don't care about the number of the scale. I just care about how my body looks. I'd be willing to weigh more if it meant having a more toned/leaner look. I want to look strong, not super skinny. I've been there done that and it's just not attractive! At least it's not nearly as attractive as look toned, in shape and strong.
    440 calories a day is pretty much anorexia. And believe me you don't want to put yourself through that hell. You're going to look and feel terrible. I'm not going to sit here and try and convince you otherwise but you're not going to get yourself anywhere but a hospital bed on that plan.
    why would you want to be any lighter than 118 pounds? that is tiny :o
    I am only 5'2 so it's not as small on me as it might be on someone closer to 5'5. I'm a shorty. Also I guess it was unclear that it is not so much being 118, or wanting to lose weight simply that I want to lose body fat and be tone. I don't care much what the number on the scale says. That doesn't define me or how I feel about myself, life's too short. I honestly just want to feel better and be more toned.

A few things you mentioned could be affecting you. First you may not be distributing your calories effectively. I know shift work makes it hard to have a routine but you really need to start out the day with a healthy meal and spread out your calories from there. This helps keep your insulin level steady. Another thing is people who work overnight shifts are probably not getting a good quality sleep. It doesn't matter how much you try to make up for that it still effects your body chemistry. In other words you end up having many of the same health issues as those who are sleep deprived. There has a been alot about that in the news lately...and if what they are saying is true, too little sleep will effect your metabolism. My aunt used to do paper deliveries untill 3am...then come home and only sleep till 8am. She would take a little nap in the afternoon and always claimed she didnt need any extra sleep. When she switched to a day job within two months she dropped almost 20 pounds. Same physical effort at her new job...same diet. Plus she has more energy and feels better. (this started about a two weeks into the new dayshift). :-)

You are def right about my job making it difficult to lead a truly healthy life style. Thing is I actually love my job and the kids I work with are in a program during the day, school for some of them. hospital programs for others, camps, sports development programs, jobs etc... so that's why our shifts work the way they do. I will not stay here forever but I really like my job, it pays well and I'm good at it. But I do hope to have a job someday that will allow me to have more normal hours and sleep habits. I've never been good about sleeping at normal hours. I do try and get at least 6 hours a night when I can.
  • MonkeyBars
    MonkeyBars Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Maybe you're super sensitive to something in your diet?
    We're complex beings in a 21st century world of food that mostly isn't natural for us.
    Have a google on "Mark Sissons Primal Blueprint". He talks alot of sense :)

Many articles & books have been written on carbs/sugars over the years that have been mostly ignored.
    The natural sugars we see in unprocessed foods (things you can pick and eat immediately) seem good, but anything that needs processing (things we have to crush/combine/manipulate) doesn't! Evolution baby :)

I dropped 12kgs in 6weeks whilst keeping my muscle mass and getting stronger, I tuned my diet on the way not thru any fads, but because I could see empty kcals appearing on my MFP every time I consumed grains!
    This meant without these empty kcals, I could eat every hour, just something, melon, berries, apples, nanas etc.... these ready to eat items appeared to help me with my rapid weight loss (not deliberate as I was aiming to lose 1lb a week & ate up to my kcals every day). I always have a cheat day once a week and can go over my BMR+exercise by 2k+ kcals.

I weighed myself twice a day, every morning and night, my weight would increase 2 days before a big drop, regular. This was "probably" due to ramping my BMR up with more "intense" exercise and increasing my kcals, my body knew there was plenty of quality food coming in to fuel me, I was executing tabata (like HIIT) circuits for 1hr 3-5 times a week, running 5-6 times a week (20-30 min fast sessions with 1 recovery long run), and wrestling/MMA with kickboxing. My exercise (in man hrs) hasn't changed much over the last 4 years, but I learned very quickly that some days I had been eating too much and other days, no where near what the kcal counters required me to consume.

Back to basics =
    cardio + resistance + dietary needs + sleep
    we need 4 legs to the table ;)

I'm experimenting with MRPs at the moment, as with my training, I find it difficult to keep my kcals up, some days I need 3500kals to be neutral and I find I keep dropping weight and need to "push" up every so often. Mixed nuts with honey help :)

My next experiment on myself will involve dairy, do I need it or not? I mean, come on, it's from another species ;)
    (there goes the whey)

Remember, we're ALL different, you may need to experiment 6 weeks at a time to find your "sweet" spot ;)

Good luck on your journey :D
  • amberlynyeager
    Options
    hi amberlyn. I am praying for you to reach your goals. seems like you have a good attitude. it's all about attitude and lifestyle at the end of the day. i was skinny most of my life. early, it was just youth and genes. but i also was very active. later, i had to work at it and did. my lifestyle changed a few year ago, and weight gain came with it. redirecting my lifestyle to get back to a good weight. mainly i would say to you...pray to God for dedication, focus, and a will to work hard. i didnt see that you are exercising. you should add that in if you are not. but other than that, you sound like you are doing the right thing. take care.

p.s. a good story. i met a lady about a year ago. she was in her 70s and very small. she said she had been overweight her entire life but at 50 decided to make a change. she exercised, changed her diet and lost over 100 pounds. she said she walks an hours and half every evening.

I do actually walk everyday. I don't log it, because I don't think that it should be added to it honestly. I do work out about 3-4 times a week. I log it sometimes, I forget other times. But I will try to be better with logging the workouts, like I am with my food. I go to the gym, and I also do Jillian Michaels 30 day shred. I don't do it every single day tho, I just do it when I feel like i need to get some sort of workout in, and I just don't have the time to go to the gym, so I can just do it in my living room, with my daughter, and we have fun doing it together! My gym doesn't provide childcare while I work out, so I do have to do the in home stuff occasionally, but I can't really use that as an excuse, I have made new goals this week, I typically make a new goal every week, to keep my focus and such. And I am going to be going to the gym more now, than I was before, and I'll be sure to log it in more often. Even if I have to wake up at three am to go, because I'm already up at five getting ready for work!