ASL

Options
bellyake3
bellyake3 Posts: 135 Member
American Sign Language (ASL)...is what I should have put as the topic..sorry about that :embarassed:

I went to my first Deaf community event last night and had a blast! I can honestly say I am intrigued by the culture as a whole. I'm currently taking ASL 1 at a community college here in San Antonio, and I can't get enough of it. I'm just learning, but I think I might want to see how far I can go.

Either way, I encourage everyone to look up Deaf events in your area and get to know your neighbors....even though I only know the basics they were patient with me and so inviting if your willing to learn....thanks and be well.

Replies

• Sockimobi
    Sockimobi Posts: 541
    Options
    I thought this was age, sex, location! :embarassed:

Good luck with the sign language!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    *kissfist Deaf ppl*
  • bellyake3
    Options
    lol..sorry...ASL stands for American Sign Language..and thank you tho
  • bellyake3
    Options
    *kissfist Deaf ppl*

^love this!
  • jppd47
    jppd47 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Just took ASL 1 as well. Im liking it

http://asl.ms/

great site to practice reading your finger spelling
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    *kissfist Deaf ppl*

^love this!

I often run into Deaf kids in my store.
    The look on their face when I sign is priceless!
  • NikkiLS28
    NikkiLS28 Posts: 43
    Options
    I took ASL 1 last fall and LOVED it. I wish I had room in my schedule for this fall semester but I'm already packed in with 17 credits. My instructor made me promise to continue taking classes because I picked it up so quickly. I plan on keeping that promise! :)
  • bellyake3
    Options
    Just took ASL 1 as well. Im liking it

http://asl.ms/

great site to practice reading your finger spelling

Great, thank you!
  • bellyake3
    Options
    *kissfist Deaf ppl*

^love this!

lol...I hope it's a good look!?!
  • histora
    histora Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I loved the two years of ASL I took in high school. I'm looking at adding it as my elective for my RN degree, because I noticed there is a huge lack of signers in this area in medical fields, and I am disgusted by how many times I have seen HCPs yelling personal information to hard of hearing or deaf people.

Having a School for the Deaf within driving distance sure helps with learning ASL. :)
  • nicholettebell
    Options
    Ahhh....my first language. My parents are Deaf. So awesome that you've taken an interest in not only the language but the culture. Kudos to you!
  • bellyake3
    Options
    I loved the two years of ASL I took in high school. I'm looking at adding it as my elective for my RN degree, because I noticed there is a huge lack of signers in this area in medical fields, and I am disgusted by how many times I have seen HCPs yelling personal information to hard of hearing or deaf people.

Having a School for the Deaf within driving distance sure helps with learning ASL. :)

You're right there is a shortage of ASL signers in the medical field...to me that seems odd.
    It would be nice if the nursing department would at least recommended ASL 1 to their students...it would benefit everyone all the way around.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Check out this dude and all his awesome vids. Amazing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiSgKKOcofk&feature=plcp
  • bellyake3
    Options
    Ahhh....my first language. My parents are Deaf. So awesome that you've taken an interest in not only the language but the culture. Kudos to you!

Thank you...I am trying. Just got finished watching my ASL dvd and ready to practice..
    The culture...I can't help to be taken in by it. It is so different when compared to how I was raised as a hearing person. I can't begin to tell you how much i'm enjoying it and the people!
    Be well!
  • bellyake3
    Options

That was the AWESOMEST video EVER! lol I just learned the sign for game too!
    Thanks bunches!
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    *kissfist Deaf ppl*

^love this!

my mother was an ASL translator years ago...she taught me a few signs...my fondest memory is from 20+ year ago when I worked in a bakery. I noticed my coworker getting very frustrated trying to explain to her ( deaf) customer that the cinnamon rolls s/he wanted were only sold in half dozens. I had her switch customers with me, and I was able to communicate with the customer and lead them to a similar item that we sold singly. The customer was SOO happy and relieved.
  • mdebbie1026
    mdebbie1026 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I was never good at it but when deaf patients came into the lab that I work in and saw that I was trying to communicate with them they were ALWAYS very appreciative and patient with me and helpful to me as I tried to help them.

My daughter teaches the deaf and hard of hearing in our public school system. I wish I had her ability to sign, she's awesome!
    *kissfist Deaf ppl*

^love this!

• AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options

Thanks bunches!

If you look in his profile (SongsInSign) he has a bunch of awesome ones.
  • Charmed285
    Charmed285 Posts: 189 Member
    Options

so are mine. mom is hard of hearing and dad is deaf. I'm in college working on my degree in interpreting. I still have a lot of learing to do, so I trying to surround myself with more deaf people to increase my skills.
  • bellyake3
    Options

Thanks bunches!

If you look in his profile (SongsInSign) he has a bunch of awesome ones.

Will do..n thanks! :flowerforyou: