Improper wording...... i mean.... really....

Options
124»

Replies

• MrsR0SE
    MrsR0SE Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    It drives me crazy when people put more than one period at the end of a sentence..... Just one please.

Well, if it's three periods then it's an ellipsis, which is an actual punctuation. It's just that a lot of people use it wrong.

I do this. I use it wrong all the time.

But, I do it because I want to emphasize the pause in thought, more than a period would. I do this in conversational writing like forums or tweets. I would not do it in a professional setting.

'incorrectly' - you don't use it 'wrong'! :happy:
  • paulvt65
    paulvt65 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I love this thread for all the grammar fails while attempting to gripe about others' poor grammar.

I refer you to Hartman's Law of Prescriptivist Retaliation: "any article or statement about correct grammar, punctuation, or spelling is bound to contain at least one eror".
  • TadaGanIarracht
    TadaGanIarracht Posts: 2,615 Member
    Options
    I'm just stickler for proper grammar and spelling. Am I perfect? No but if ever you see a mistake I have made please feel free to correct it.

I would have to say my biggest pet peeve is those who have the complete inability to spell "definitely" correctly. It's not that hard, it's "infinitely" with "def" in front of it. I see no one having any issue spelling "infinite" or the aforementioned "infinitely", so why in the heck do people have such a problem with "definitely".

Another lesser pet peeve of mine would have to be people who use text talk all the time. For future reference, "OMG did u c tht?" will be ignored immediately and you will forever be labeled an idiot by my standards.

The English language is a beautiful thing and us Americans have already butchered it, must we continue to do so?
  • MrsR0SE
    MrsR0SE Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I love this thread for all the grammar fails while attempting to gripe about others' poor grammar.

I refer you to Hartman's Law of Prescriptivist Retaliation: "any article or statement about correct grammar, punctuation, or spelling is bound to contain at least one eror".

:laugh:
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    3. I saw this one and just giggled... "An ounce of water weighs about an ounce I think."
    Yes... why I think an ounce just might weigh an ounce... hmmm...
    An ounce of water generally refers to a fluid ounce. That's a volume measurement. It does weigh about an ounce as well, but these are two different measurements. You see why you shouldn't post things like this to make yourself feel smart? You don't know everything either.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options

Excellent quote! And it's so true. There's something about pointing out some one else's error that almost guarantees you'll be making a similar error. Works with etiquette too. Almost by definition, because when you point out some one else's etiquette error, you're being rude and guilty of one yourself.

As a side note, I love that almost all SPAM and fraudulent email seems to have serious grammatical and spelling errors. It adds one more clue that this message was not sent by a reputable company. I hope the "Nigerian royalty" and "cookie recipe" message senders never learn how to spell. :tongue: :wink:
  • paulvt65
    Options
    One fluid ounce of water weighs 1.043 dry ounces. You can blame the Brits for all these wonderful measurements. Different measurements for different goods - which is why a pound of feathers weighs more than a pound of gold!
  • paulvt65
    Options
    "It's just that a lot of people use it wrong."

One of my pet peeves? What do North Americans have against the adverb? What is wrong with "It's just that a lot of people use it incorrectly?"
  • TadaGanIarracht
    Options
    "It's just that a lot of people use it wrong."

One of my pet peeves? What do North Americans have against the adverb? What is wrong with "It's just that a lot of people use it incorrectly?"

Was my post to your liking? :devil:
  • Sockimobi
    Sockimobi Posts: 541
    Options
    One fluid ounce of water weighs 1.043 dry ounces. You can blame the Brits for all these wonderful measurements. Different measurements for different goods - which is why a pound of feathers weighs more than a pound of gold!

You're welcome. :drinker:
  • paulvt65
    Options
    Your post was fine Jenni? How did i earn The Scowly Red Face of Doom?

Don't worry about text speak as it is just a fad. In fact, as a result of a lawsuit n the UK, a student was permitted to write an exam in text as it was declared an acceptable form of the English language.

Language is in a constant state of flux and always evolving. Words are accepted and dropped based on usage. Words that were common when I was young are hardly used. Decades of parents have told their children that they have no idea what the children are saying. Words come and words go. As with text speak.
  • paulvt65
    Options
    You're welcome. :drinker:
    [/quote]

I'm a Brit too but have spent more than half my life in Canada so I am now Canadian instead!
  • TadaGanIarracht
    Options
    Your post was fine Jenni? How did i earn The Scowly Red Face of Doom?

Don't worry about text speak as it is just a fad. In fact, as a result of a lawsuit n the UK, a student was permitted to write an exam in text as it was declared an acceptable form of the English language.

Language is in a constant state of flux and always evolving. Words are accepted and dropped based on usage. Words that were common when I was young are hardly used. Decades of parents have told their children that they have no idea what the children are saying. Words come and words go. As with text speak.

I feel ornery therefore most posts I have made today end with a :devil:.

As for text talk, I truly hope it's a fad. It hurts my brain trying to decipher what the letters in their precise placement are meant to say.
  • thenataliej
    thenataliej Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    My pet peeve is when people say bring when they should say take.

You bring something with you when you come, you take it when you go.

It seems that these two words are used interchangeably and it is acceptable to use one or the other but it still annoys me.
  • spoonful
    spoonful Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    It drives me crazy when people put more than one period at the end of a sentence..... Just one please.

It's called an ellipsis and it is usually three dots.
  • spoonful
    spoonful Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    It doesn't bother me at all. As long as I know what someone is trying to say it's good.
  • Gyoza11
    Gyoza11 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Saw a comment on a Icelandic message board today: "I mean if you're going to be complaining about something like that you might as well move to some island!!"
    Huuuuge facepalm, we're already living on an island.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I hate it when people don't know how to use an ellipsis. I mean really. Is it that hard to only use 3 dots (periods)? Its not 4. Its not 10, It's effing 3!!!!!

Actually I don't really care, but if you're going to go off on other people, get yo shiz straight yo!
    Actually, to be grammatically correct, if an ellipsis ends a sentence, it is four periods. Three periods for the ellipsis, and one period to end the sentence.