5'3 155lbs ~ how many Calories?!

Options
I am 5'3 and 155 and I want to lose 30lbs. MFP has me at 1200 calories a day. I just can't do it. I'm starving and wind up going WAY over my calories.

Anyone else around my size who eat's more calories a day?

Right now I have a bum knee so I can't exercise.

Replies

• ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
  • emmabrackpool
    emmabrackpool Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft2 and MFP also started me off on 1200 a day - I just couldn't do it for more than 3-4 days without going over and then guilt tripping and comfort eating for days and days. I'm 195lbs so MUCH bigger than you but I readjusted MFP cals to 1500 now I'm regularly under target, feel good that I'm not going over so don't feel the need to punish myself with over eating. In the last 2 weeks since I've upped my calories I've lost 5lbs and am back on track at long last.
  • vsecret921
    vsecret921 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Thanks Emma! When MFP calculates for me it's 1200 and I just cannot do it! So I just upped it to 1350. Perhaps this will help?
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5'' and 149 pounds. My daily goal is my BMR, which is approximately 1,475. That's what I've been doing for the last 20 pounds. It's surprisingly easier and it worked pretty well. Right now I'm just sticking with it, but I'm not far from goal.
  • vsecret921
    Options
    Elizabeth I did read your comment and I thank you for your opinion. However, If I want to lose 1lbs a week I have to have a 500 cal deflect and I just figured out my BMR and with the deflect my calories rage would be 1350. But thank you for the info about finding out my BMR!! :)
  • megs2003
    megs2003 Posts: 90
    Options
    I'm 5'3 and try to net 1500 calories. I was too tired and hungry on 1200 calories.
  • birdlover97111
    birdlover97111 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Eat every 2.5-3 hours...That should curb your hunger pangs.
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    Thanks Emma! When MFP calculates for me it's 1200 and I just cannot do it! So I just upped it to 1350. Perhaps this will help?
    Did you read my comment at all? MFP calculates what you need to lose one pound a week. YOU are the one who gave it the information. YOU can decide to set it at a different rate.

Aww so helpful. NOT!!!

This is a new person asking for advice, maybe try to be a bit more supportive????
  • megmay2591
    megmay2591 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and started at 155bls. I tried the 1200 calories but I could NOT do it. I now eat 1600 net calories. I usually eat all of my exercise calories back. You will feel so much better with more food!
  • broookiepoo
    broookiepoo Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3 and used to be 163, now down to 149. I felt the same when I saw I could only have 1200 calories in a day! However. If you keep a water bottle with you all the time and almost force drink it you actually feel full more often, and if you eat low calorie healthy things like green beans or tuna you fill up as you would with other foods, you can just have much more!
  • vsecret921
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the friendly advice!

So I think those of us who were set at 1200 calories went and upped it and it seems to be working. I'll see how my 1350 a day does :)
  • crimsoncat
    crimsoncat Posts: 457 Member
    Options

I had to up to 1300 because 1200 was miserable. Those extra 150 are like a small serving of ice cream and that meant a lot to me.

You are not alone.
  • RaeN81
    RaeN81 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Change your stats to lose half a pound a week. Incorporate some exercise (yes, there are exercises that you can do with a bum knee like pull buoy swimming, arm workouts and physical therapy) and eat. I lost weight netting 1700 cals a day...it is possible.
  • vsecret921
    Options
    Thanks mermx for seeing that comment! She then went a head and inboxed a nasty message to me :(
  • MirrorsBrokeHearts
    Options
    Starving just will make you feel weak. I starve myself. I've been starving myself since january and it's hard to stop it. Please don't do it. You will lose weight, and sanity.
  • sm3445
    sm3445 Posts: 1
    Options
    I am about your height and weight and I am okay with the calories...its the sugar that i am always over on. I love fruit in the summer and i had no idea how much sugar is in it....
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    I was once at that weight and am the same height and am fine with those many calories, and even less. Maybe you need to take a look at your macros and see whats making you feel unsatisfied. For me, increasing my fat and fiber and cutting back on carbs a little bit helped.
  • vsecret921
    Options
    I know how you feel about starving! I want to give up if I'm starving
  • nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Thanks mermx for seeing that comment! She then went a head and inboxed a nasty message to me :(

She knows it was mean, deleted her original post :)